Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Anyone still has the "Raiders of the Lost ark : Tanis" demo? (In English, if possible, but I'd still like to get the Spanish version if it's the only one available)
I actually seem to recall that there were two demos but I'm not sure. One of them was the opening jungle scene for sure.

Literally everything related to this project has disappeard (hosted images, domain name, etc.)

Kumpel

I found a way to download the spanish demo of that jungle scene via the waybackmachine: here is the link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120306132759/http://www.teckelstudios.es/files/ROTLA%20DEMO%20Setup%20(spanish).exe

Have you found any broken links to the english demo? Maybe this way you can get them too.

Cassiebsg

OT: Nice to find my website in there... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NickyNyce

I want to buy photoshop but I noticed that there are lots of different versions. I'm only basically interested in doing some pixel art and painting backgrounds, layers and that sort of stuff. Pretty basic and simple things. Is there a certain version I should lean towards and others I should avoid?

Babar

Quote from: NickyNyce on Mon 13/02/2017 01:45:40
I want to buy photoshop but I noticed that there are lots of different versions. I'm only basically interested in doing some pixel art and painting backgrounds, layers and that sort of stuff. Pretty basic and simple things. Is there a certain version I should lean towards and others I should avoid?
Photoshop Elements is the basic version of photoshop, which excludes some stuff, including 8 bit mode and colour channels, which depending on your process you might want. Other than that, if you want to buy Photoshop officially now, I think there's not really any option other than getting the CC version, which is a subscription rather than a one-time payment.

If all you want to do is pixel-art, there are probably more suitable softwares, however, many of them free. Aseprite is free, GraphicsGale is free, Pro Motion is relatively cheaper than Photoshop. GIMP is also free, and is a sort of free equivalent of Photoshop, but its interface takes a bit of getting used to.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

NickyNyce

Thanks for the advice. When I went to amazon and typed in photoshop, it seemed like there were a whole bunch of different ones. Most of them that I saw were around $50. I had always thought it was way more expensive for some reason. I didnt notice anything about subscriptions though. But perhaps I wasnt looking deep enough. I have fiddled with gimp before, so maybe I'll try that again. Although like you said, it didn't seem very user friendly. But neither did Photoshop when I was using the trial version.

When I was playing around with gimp and photoshop, I felt like I was doing more staring at the screen then creating. I always resorted back to the simplicity of MSpaint. Looks like I'll be diving into a bunch of youtube videos.

Thanks again.

Danvzare

I remember Adobe offering Photoshop CS2 for free a few years ago. I can't seem to find it anymore (they probably took the offer down) but you could always give it a quick look.

selmiak

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html
this PS CS2 download seems to work. Newer versions of Photoshop have a lot more features. But you wouldn't need them for pixelart.

Retro Wolf

Have you tried GraphicsGale? In the beginning I used photoshop for pixel art, but found GG much better suited. You can also use the directional keys to move the cursor a pixel at time.

Babar

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 13/02/2017 13:48:16
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html
this PS CS2 download seems to work. Newer versions of Photoshop have a lot more features. But you wouldn't need them for pixelart.
It isn't being offered for free so much as a download is being offered for people who already have a license. Take that as you will...
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

NickyNyce

Thanks everyone. GraphicsGale is certainly an option too. Maybe I'll even start there.

Cassiebsg

If it helps, I used GraphicGale for my last coloring ball. (nod) ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NickyNyce

SOLD!! ....oh wait...It's free!

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Kumpel on Sun 12/02/2017 20:40:43
I found a way to download the spanish demo of that jungle scene via the waybackmachine: here is the link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120306132759/http://www.teckelstudios.es/files/ROTLA%20DEMO%20Setup%20(spanish).exe

Have you found any broken links to the english demo? Maybe this way you can get them too.
Thanks a lot. Really really cool.

Yitcomics

(I didn't know where else to ask so...)  8-)
I'm currently writing the plot for my game, where a character fall from height. But survive for a few more minutes, manage to give one last message and then passed away. But now I'm thinking, is that realistic?

So my question is,how high and what kind of injury are we talking for that scenario to happen?
(I mean if that character got hit in head, that would mean instant death right?)

Khris

People have survived falling out of airplanes, so it is entirely in the realm of plausibility.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Khris on Wed 08/03/2017 10:41:36
People have survived falling out of airplanes, so it is entirely in the realm of plausibility.
Khris is right, but try to avoid the hollywood blockbuster syndrome, where gravity doesn't exist, and neither do shocks nor inertia nor injuries of any kind. (See that ridiculous scene from The Island where they jump from a sckyscrapper and get saved by some sort of tiny fishnet)

Monsieur OUXX

Question on Dropbox quotas.

Quotas for free Dropbox work like this:
- The maximum size of one account is 2GB
- My personal account happens to be 75% full (1.5GB)
- A friend shares another dropbox account with me as the Dropbox equivalent of shared folders. That Dropbox happens to be 25% full (500MB). that Dropbox is our team dropbox and is shared with other people too.
- Dropbox calculates space usage as follows : it sums up all the folders to which I have access : 1.5GB + 500MB = 2GB --> LIMIT REACHED

My question is : what's the best way to push that limit?
- Should I pay for a non-free Dropbox?
...or...
- should he pay for a non-free Dropbox?

I'm worried that if I follow the first solution, then some calculation bullshit will prevent other team members to reach the 2GB limit.
I'm worried that if he follow the second solution, my personal free Dropbox will drag down the upper limit.

Kumpel

You can extended the space a little bit with some Social Media stuff. I am at 2,75 with doing that atm.
The pro account gives you 1 TB but your colleagues won't get anything of that. They can't get more than 2GB+bonus space synchronized. You all need pro for that to work. Or find another cloud service.

Khris

I referred several people and activated Camera Uploads on my phone. I currently have a free Dropbox with 8,75GB of space.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk