Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Khris on Thu 09/03/2017 23:02:31
I referred several people and activated Camera Uploads on my phone. I currently have a free Dropbox with 8,75GB of space.

I understood none of the 3 parts of this sentence.  ;-D What is "referring people". What is "camera upload". How on earth do you have 4 times the 2GB limit? Off to google!

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 09/03/2017 19:18:10
The pro account gives you 1 TB but your colleagues won't get anything of that. They can't get more than 2GB+bonus space synchronized. You all need pro for that to work.
OK that's what I was afraid of. That's stupid. Well I'll need to find another solution.

rambler87

hi everyone
i would like to ask questions - not so important technical - some advice where to begin and if it possible with AGS.
I want to create game with tomb rider angel of darkness characters - is it possible and effective to use official trle (level redactor) to create graphic scenes and animation of character movement and implement this date in ags to create quest with high resolution?
Any suggestion and advice will be appreciated.
And are there examples of such approach?

PSS - in addition how knows the great game (very exotic game) bad mojo - on which engine it can be done redone? the same concerning the game Sanitarium - has it ever been rebuild in ags?

Khris

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 10/03/2017 10:21:36
Quote from: Khris on Thu 09/03/2017 23:02:31
I referred several people and activated Camera Uploads on my phone. I currently have a free Dropbox with 8,75GB of space.
I understood none of the 3 parts of this sentence.  ;-D What is "referring people". What is "camera upload". How on earth do you have 4 times the 2GB limit? Off to google!
1. I told them about Dropbox, entered their email addresses on the Dropbox website -> they get sent a link -> they use the link to sign up -> I get 500MB.
2. I downloaded the Dropbox App and turned on the feature -> +3GB
3. 2 + 3 + 7 * 0.5 + 0.25 = 8.75 (250 MB for completing "Getting Started" on the website)

Mandle

Quote from: rambler87 on Sun 12/03/2017 10:50:37
PSS - in addition how knows the great game (very exotic game) bad mojo - on which engine it can be done redone?

I know Bad Mojo: the one where you play a guy turned into a cockroach right? AWESOME GAME!

It could be redone on AGS, in fact I was just thinking the other day that I might give it a try sometime, but I probably won't ever have the time.

rambler87

do you think it is pretty easy to build such game as bad mojo - only many photo of scenes?

and have you seen such games as 3d->2d and insert implement with ags?

Slasher

Personally, while at best part it could be done it would take quite a bit of advanced scripting to get it to any kind of high level like the game Bad mojo. If your scripting is novice then you need to think about how you are going to make a similar game. Of course there are people here that can help you... There is no reason why you could not try making it ags style. You can also use videos as like the game if you wanted.

Good luck

rambler87

thank you.
under "simple" - i mean is it not so difficult game cod comparing say with diablo 2 or something) I mean we have static pictures and moving them and that's all.
i.e. as beginning project in programming and game design it is normal difficult?

Slasher

You should search the games database for games to play to get an idea of how ags works and what you can do with it.

Learning the script and stuff can be daunting but it does get easier the more you learn and practice..

LimpingFish

Quote from: rambler87 on Sun 12/03/2017 10:50:37
I want to create game with tomb rider angel of darkness characters - is it possible and effective to use official trle (level redactor) to create graphic scenes and animation of character movement and implement this date in ags to create quest with high resolution?

AGS doesn't support 3d models in that sense, would not be compatible with files exported from a level builder (raw geometry, etc) in any meaningful way. AGS mostly deals in bitmap sprites and backgrounds.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

rambler87

i mean i can always get 2d from 3d any scenes

Snarky

Consider the screenshots you can get out of this level editor. Consider whether they would make suitable backgrounds for adventure games. Well, there's your answer.

Though 3D-rendered or photo-based backgrounds in 2D have some other challenges that you may not have considered:

-It may be difficult to integrate characters in a way that looks convincing, because of walkbehinds, shadows, and perspective distortion.
-Similarly, it may be difficult to get interactive parts of the backgrounds (objects that are only present part of the game) to blend properly.
-If the tool doesn't allow you to define a fixed camera position, any time you need to update a background the shot may look slightly different, and then you'll have to adjust all the object positions, walkable areas, walkbehinds, etc. This will quickly become a nightmare.
-Without animation (which can be tricky to export into AGS), the screens may look weirdly "frozen".

Much of this depends on the tool you're using, and your skill with it. Certainly there are a number of AGS games made with 3D-rendered backgrounds and/or characters.

rambler87

thank you. could you advise such a "3d derived" games to learn some examples? and why is it not often (or i wrong) used in ags games creating.

I want to create in 3d only character animation and location (backgrounder screen) - it is problem because 2d considerable edition of this screen will be needed in 2d?

about details - which main instruments would you recommend? 3ds max auto-desk (or Maya?) and Photoshop cs (without mentioning many other assisting programms-utilites)?

PPS concerning engines: what do you thing about kyra-engine?

Kumpel

Hey rambler. if you mean by "3d derived" a game with 3d prerendered sprites and backgrounds, then check out "Out of Gas" by Cassiebsg. Great MAGS entry that shows you how good this style decision can work and look.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Khris on Sun 12/03/2017 17:05:00
1. I told them about Dropbox, entered their email addresses on the Dropbox website
Welp, I didn't proceed like that for nay of the contributors. So I guess that's all wasted now.

rambler87

Quote from: Kumpel on Wed 22/03/2017 03:30:01
Hey rambler. if you mean by "3d derived" a game with 3d prerendered sprites and backgrounds, then check out "Out of Gas" by Cassiebsg. Great MAGS entry that shows you how good this style decision can work and look.

thanks. But is there example of ags games with 2d pictures from design like in tes elder scrolls 3d constructor (what is the problem to use complex pseudo 3d screens on ags engine - is it possible, for example, to use pseudo 3d scenes like in quest game series like "runaway")

Snarky

Check out the games by Midian Design:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/author/Midian+Design/

The Cosmos Quest games are another example that use 3D-rendered graphics (they're not available from here any more, but you can find them on the Google).

Lost in the Nightmare uses 3D rendered screens made in the Half-Life engine:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/642/
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/982/

Supergirl in We Don't Need Another Hero uses Poser models and some sort of 3D-modeling for the rooms:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/505/

Quintaros, Cassiebsg, KyriakosCH and several others I'm sure are working on 3D-rendered AGS games. There was a 3D-rendered King's Quest 4 remake under development for a while.

And you might want to have a look at Technocrat's blog, describing the graphics process he's developing over a number of posts: https://technocratgames.blogspot.ch/2017/02/technobabylon-2-part-2-isobabylon.html

rambler87

thanks for advise.
and what do you think about kyra engine - is it in some way similar to ags.
And concerning games such as runaway series - beside art work - i think it requires very high level in programming (theory and practice)?

ps - are there quest games (fan made games) about lord of the rings? (strange but there is no (if i know right) modern (for sale) quest about this story - may be because of franchise rights...)

Snarky

Quote from: rambler87 on Fri 24/03/2017 20:07:36
and what do you think about kyra engine - is it in some way similar to ags.

Never heard of it.

And concerning games such as runaway series - beside art work - i think it requires very high level in programming (theory and practice)?

Not particularly. They're pretty standard adventure games, aren't they? Shouldn't be any more challenging than any other AGS game.

ps - are there quest games (fan made games) about lord of the rings? (strange but there is no (if i know right) modern (for sale) quest about this story - may be because of franchise rights...)

There are a ton of commercial games based on The Lord of the Rings, as well as fan games (often in the form of mods for other titles): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_in_video_games

Not sure what you mean by "quest games" â€" if you mean RPGs, there are a lot. If you mean adventure games, probably not that many, but there are text adventures based on The Hobbit as well as TLOTR.

Nikolas

Posted on facebook but maybe you guys can help?

When I was growing up (around 25-30 years ago, let's say), I was buying some lego like product (I think it was called TEDDEX (or at least sounded something like this) that were all about robots, that were able to transform into spaceships, or cars and whatnot.

Anyone knows what product(s) I'm talking about? I'd love to find them again...

EDIT:

I found them.

They are called TENTE (Spanish company) and the specific series was called Roblock. Discontinued now, I'm sad... :'(

dactylopus

I've got no idea, but you've got me wanting Quest for Glory styled games set in Middle Earth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk