Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Egmundo Huevoz

Hi Kweepa. "Ags3d.dll", according to an error screen that appears when I open the "game". Even worse, I can only open it with AGS 2.7. Maybe you can direct me to a different download link, which works?

EDIT: Looking around, I found it inside the compiled folder. Maybe it goes somewhere else? Still, I'd like to use it with modern AGS. BTW, the demo game is great. I wish I can make it work.

Kweepa

Unfortunately I can't find a version that works with 3.x, although I thought I updated it at one point.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Egmundo Huevoz on Fri 29/12/2017 02:39:21
EDIT: Looking around, I found it inside the compiled folder. Maybe it goes somewhere else? Still, I'd like to use it with modern AGS. BTW, the demo game is great. I wish I can make it work.

In AGS 3.4.0 and later it needs to go to Compiled/Windows, where game's exe file is built. Does this mean that plugins are not copied correctly with the latest versions of AGS?

Hmm, wait, how do you use the plugin at all? Did you copy it to the AGS Editor's folder first before building the game?

amit14

when I use the exit function in c
exit();
the compiler reports an error
too few parameters for exit to function but when I use
exit(0);
it works fine
please someone explain

arj0n

exit(0): successful program termination
exit(1): (usually) unsuccessful termination

cat

I installed BASS Midi driver and Arachno sf. In my MIDI tool I can now select it and listen to the MIDI. The sound of one of the rather obscure instruments used sounds terrible now, but ok, at least I can run it.

However, I cannot get MIDI to run for AGS games. I don't get the error message anymore, but I also don't have audio (mp3 sfx work fine).
VLC and Windows Media Player also cannot run it.
The weirdest thing so far is: Suddenly Irfan View can play it, but it sounds like the original Windows Midi, not the Arachno. Did Irfan View find the windows synth? I'm about to give up and reinstall windows...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: amit14 on Mon 01/01/2018 15:22:58
when I use the exit function in c
exit();
the compiler reports an error
too few parameters for exit to function but when I use
exit(0);
it works fine
please someone explain

amit14, frankly, this is a kind of question that is normally answered by reading a book.

Each function has a number of parameters that it may require. Exit() function has 1 parameter. If you don't pass one in, it won't work.
If you need to know information on particular function, what they do, what their parameters mean, there are tonns of documentation about C and C++ library functions online. For example this: http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/program/exit

Also, I meant to mention this earlier, although this is only my opinion, but if you are just beginning to study programming, C and C++ are not the languages I'd recommend to start with. They are far not the easiest ones and contain features that are found nowhere in many other modern languages, such as direct operations on computer memory for example, that may be quite confusing (and even dangerous in some ways).
Unless you have a good reason to learn C in particular, I'd recommend to start with something like C#, Python or Javascript instead.

arj0n

Quote from: cat on Mon 01/01/2018 18:06:53
I installed BASS Midi driver and Arachno sf. In my MIDI tool I can now select it and listen to the MIDI. The sound of one of the rather obscure instruments used sounds terrible now, but ok, at least I can run it.

However, I cannot get MIDI to run for AGS games. I don't get the error message anymore, but I also don't have audio (mp3 sfx work fine).
VLC and Windows Media Player also cannot run it.
The weirdest thing so far is: Suddenly Irfan View can play it, but it sounds like the original Windows Midi, not the Arachno. Did Irfan View find the windows synth? I'm about to give up and reinstall windows...

OK, I noticed my midi wasn't working either anymore...
Somehow I couldn't get BASS Midi driver to work again correctly, so uninstalled that and went for VirtualMIDISynth.
So, after loading the soundfont (Arachno) in the VirtualMIDISynth's tab Soundfonts, MIDI was working again.
Also: MIDI runs fine again for AGS games.

amit14

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 01/01/2018 18:49:24
link=topic=36356.msg636578439#msg636578439 date=1514820178]
amit14, frankly, this is a kind of question that is normally answered by reading a book.

Also, I meant to mention this earlier, although this is only my opinion, but if you are just beginning to study programming, C and C++ are not the languages I'd recommend to start with. They are far not the easiest ones and contain features that are found nowhere in many other modern languages, such as direct operations on computer memory for example, that may be quite confusing (and even dangerous in some ways).
Unless you have a good reason to learn C in particular, I'd recommend to start with something like C#, Python or Javascript instead.
actually i have c language in my next semester from next month that's why i thought to start with it

eri0o

Question. I may go to NYC in May. Can someone suggest me a good hotel? My definition of good is a nice bed for me and my girlfriend, has a bathroom in the room, has wifi and either has breakfast or is near a bakery or coffee shop that offers breakfast.

I am going for leisure, will visit museums, and other stuff.

cat

Quote from: arj0n on Mon 01/01/2018 19:10:22
OK, I noticed my midi wasn't working either anymore...
Somehow I couldn't get BASS Midi driver to work again correctly, so uninstalled that and went for VirtualMIDISynth.
So, after loading the soundfont (Arachno) in the VirtualMIDISynth's tab Soundfonts, MIDI was working again.
Also: MIDI runs fine again for AGS games.
I tried that, didn't work either.

HOWEVER, Windows installed a big update today and now the native Windows MIDI is working again :-D

Jack Orlando

Question.

I love AGS and would like to somehow thank the creator for making programming accessible even to people with no background in coding. Is there some kind of donation page where I could contribute?

LameNick

Hello, anybody knows an encrypted chat application that runs independently on windows or linux AND android? I use solely my desktop for chat and my friend chats only via android phone. I found Wickerme and Ring but he couldn't install Wickerme (probably because his android version is lower than required) and Ring just doesn't seem to work.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

selmiak

maybe use some jabber client?!

Khris

morganw

Does anyone happen to have a recent version of InDesign which they could use to export a document as Postscript for me, or does anyone know how to open/recover data into older versions of InDesign?

Much obliged,
Morgan

nihilyst

I have InDesign CC2018 and would gladly help you out.

morganw

That would be amazing, thank you.
PM sent. :)

Icey

Does anyone by chance have the two main AGS fonts (outline/NoOutline) or something close to the two? Or even a site that offers both outline\non-outline fonts?

I changed the resolution of my game when I started it and I noticed that the main font is super big and I'm not sure how to scale it down to a reasonable size or where to locate the main fonts to reimport them both in a smaller size.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: icey games on Sun 06/05/2018 08:54:49
I changed the resolution of my game when I started it and I noticed that the main font is super big and I'm not sure how to scale it down to a reasonable size or where to locate the main fonts to reimport them both in a smaller size.

AGS never changes the font files themselves, only scales them when drawing, so it is safe to reuse same WFN or TTF files from your game's folder.

Most probably you have "Fonts are designed for high resolution" turned off, which makes AGS scale them up. Try turning that on and AGS will use them in their actual scale.

That is the only reason why WFN (bitmap) fonts can be scaled in game. TTF (vector) fonts may be also rescaled by reimporting same file again and telling different size.

PS. AGS Editor does not provide any fonts on its own, they only come wit templates, so if you've lost a "default" font file for some reason, you may retrieve it from a game template by creating a dummy game.
PPS. Oh. also there are some template source in the repository, so it's possible to download fonts there too:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-template-source

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk