Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

This man weighs 100 pounds, plus half his weight.
Means he weight half his weight, plus half his weight.
Means 100, plus 100.

heltenjon

His weight = HW

HW=100 + HW/2
2HW=200+HW
HW=200

Stupot

It’s a trick of how you parse the question. You’re fooled into reading “he weighs 100 pounds” and then thinking you have to do the maths on that number. But nope, “he weighs 100 pounds plus half his weight” <â€"â€"- that IS his weight. Now you can do the maths.

RetroJay

Oh my God!!

I feel so incredibly thick. (laugh)
I see it all now. Thank you for your help, and not making me feel like a total idiot... (That's how I feel.) :-[

I have always had this issue in my brain, where I OVER think. (roll)
Playing "KSP"... Plotting a course through space and landing just where I want to be, no problem. :-\
Well... Most of the time. (laugh)

Ben X

I think the problem there is that the oxford comma is misleading. They should have structured it "he weighs 100 pounds plus half his weight", not "he weighs 100 pounds, plus half his weight".

heltenjon

Quote from: Ben X on Fri 03/07/2020 10:11:34
I think the problem there is that the oxford comma is misleading. They should have structured it "he weighs 100 pounds plus half his weight", not "he weighs 100 pounds, plus half his weight".

Or "half his weight plus 100 pounds". But then it wouldn't be much of a riddle.

milkanannan

Quote from: RetroJay on Fri 03/07/2020 03:18:50
Oh my God!!

I feel so incredibly thick. (laugh)
I see it all now. Thank you for your help, and not making me feel like a total idiot... (That's how I feel.) :-[

I have always had this issue in my brain, where I OVER think. (roll)
Playing "KSP"... Plotting a course through space and landing just where I want to be, no problem. :-\
Well... Most of the time. (laugh)

If it makes you feel better, I totally didn’t get it first few reads either.

RetroJay

To be totally honest, milkanannan... I still don't get it.  (laugh)
I wrote that just to end the discussion, like when someone explains Nuclear Fusion, or shit like that... "Oh yeah. I understand."... And then you walk away. ???
What the hell... There are more things to worry about, than a riddle that makes no sense. ;)

Ben X and heltenjon.
Doesn't really matter how it's worded... It still doesn't make any sense. (laugh)

Let's just leave this one to the "Realms of WTF Riddles". (nod)

Always reminds me of those stupid questions, in school... (I am just being funny, here.)
if Bob has 3 oranges and Tim has 4 apples then what is the color of Bobs socks? (laugh)

heltenjon

Quote from: RetroJay on Sat 04/07/2020 00:52:13
Always reminds me of those stupid questions, in school... (I am just being funny, here.)
if Bob has 3 oranges and Tim has 4 apples then what is the color of Bobs socks? (laugh)
Oranges grow in tropic climates, so he probably wears none!  (laugh)

Snarky

Quote from: RetroJay on Sat 04/07/2020 00:52:13
To be totally honest, milkanannan... I still don't get it.  (laugh)
Doesn't really matter how it's worded... It still doesn't make any sense. (laugh)

Try this:
What the man weighs is his total weight, right? (Which is "100 pounds plus half his weight.")

And of course, his total weight is the same as half his weight plus half his weight (because two halves is the same as a whole):

Weight = 0.5*Weight + 0.5*Weight

So if "100 pounds + half his weight" is the same as "half his weight + half his weight" (since they're both ways to add up his total weight), then we know that 100 pounds must be half his weight.

And if 100 pounds is half his weight, then it should be easy to see that his total weight is 200 pounds.

RetroJay

heltenjon.
I like your interpretation of my mathematical problem. (laugh)

Snarky.
Thank you for your reply. I do believe I have finally got it. (nod)

Ali

Now do the Monty Hall Problem!

Cassiebsg

RetroJay, if in doubt just put any other value as the total weight, and you'll see that only 200 can be the answer.  ;)

You had 3 choices to pick from: 100, 150 and 200. And you now know the right answer is 200. Let's do the math for the other two, and you can do it for any other value if you still in doubt.

Let's say you choose 100. Half his weight would mean 100/2 = 50. Only 100+50=150... he can't have a total weight of 100.
Let's try 150 now... Half of his weight would be 75. 100+75 = 175. So his total weight can't be 150 either.

If you pick any other value, you will notice that you never get to a true value, except with 100 and total weight of 200.

But if it helps, I probably would have fallen for the trickery also and pick wrong. The riddle is phrased like that exactly to lead you into error thinking. Cause the first part makes your brain automatically think "he weights 100. And then add 50, that gives 150..." And even though this makes no sense (if he weights 100, he couldn't possibly also weight 150... but our brain accepts the first "fact" as true and thus gets stuck into figuring out the obvious.)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

RetroJay

Hi, Cassiebsg.
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.
Thank you for your detailed explanation for the weight puzzle. I now totally understand.

I now have another question to ask the good peeps of AGS.
Today I decided to do a Full Scan with "Windows Security" (Windows 10).
After starting it reached about a minute and then my computer fans went in to overdrive.
So scared that my comp would fly out the window I canceled the scan and did a full scan with Malwarebytes. (No problems.)
Has anyone else, come across this problem?
I did read something dated back to 2018 where this problem seemed to be occurring but supposedly was cured.

Many Thanks.
Jay.

RetroJay

Guess no one has had this problem, then?
Funny thing is... I am currently running a full scan on my HDD with no problems.
As soon as I run a full scan on my SSD then my computer tries to fly.  ???

morganw

If it can read the data faster then the scanner is potentially doing more work in a shorter amount of time, which will generate more heat. To work out whether there is a problem you need to look at the temperatures when idle and when under load and how this relates to the fan speed. The virus scan in itself isn't a good load test, and the fans working at a high speed isn't necessarily a bad thing.

KyriakosCH

(nm)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Google’s not helping.

Any silent era actors who never spoken on film? Most of the famous ones eventually acted in ‘talkies’ but I want to know if there is a well-known example of a silent era actor who’s voice was never recorded for film.

It’s for a Twitter joke for which the moment will have long passed by the time an answer is found:

“Who would narrate your life story?“

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 31/08/2020 05:06:15
Google’s not helping.

Any silent era actors who never spoken on film? Most of the famous ones eventually acted in ‘talkies’ but I want to know if there is a well-known example of a silent era actor who’s voice was never recorded for film.

It’s for a Twitter joke for which the moment will have long passed by the time an answer is found:

Why not just go with Harpo Marx?

heltenjon

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 31/08/2020 05:56:38
Quote from: Stupot on Mon 31/08/2020 05:06:15
Google’s not helping.

Why not just go with Harpo Marx?

Or Marcel Marceau?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk