AGS AWARDS 2008 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by Pumaman, Fri 02/01/2009 21:43:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Well, according to SSH's blog I was supposed to announce the AGS Awards since he is on holiday.

Therefore, it gives me great pleasure to announce that nominations are now open for the AGS Awards 2008!

What are the AGS Awards?

The AGS Awards are an annual event where you vote on the best AGS games of the year.

The process has two stages -- nominations, and voting.

So what happened for the nominations?

The Nominations stage is now complete. This is where you nominate games for awards that you think they deserve to win. This year, you could nominate as many games in as many categories as you like.

The nominations page listed all the games of 2008 in alphabetical order. Have a look down the list, and when you see a game you played and think is deserving of an award, click the "I want to nominate this game" link. This will open up a list of awards that you can nominate it for. Rinse and repeat.

Can I nominate for my own game?

Of course, if you think it's deserving! You'd be silly not to!

What about the voting?

With all the nominations are all in, the 5 games that have the most nominations in each category go forward to the voting stage.

Which games were nominated this year?

Visit SSH's blog or open the Voting page to see the nominated games in each category.

Which games won this year?

You can now download the Awards Ceremony to see the winners, or if you're impatient just go straight to SSH's blog.

bicilotti

Nice one Mr. Jones!

Just one minor slip: I think Marion's "Horse Park" should be in the "non adventure games" category.

Pumaman

Ponch

Well, clearly I'm doing something wrong. I can't get it to accept any of my clicks. I was able to generally nominate a few games, but not for any specific categories. Maybe it's a browser issue, or something. Or it's entirely possible I'm an idiot. Either way, I've done my part as an American and voted. I also did it wrong, or didn't know what to do once I got in the voting booth. I think I may have voted for Pat Buchanan or Ron Paul. Possibly Kinky Friedman. Who knows? But I'm proud to say that I voted (badly).

Pumaman

What exactly went wrong? If there's a problem with the page then I need to fix it.

I've tested it in IE and Firefox and it seems fine, so can you be more specific about what problem you had?

QuoteI was able to generally nominate a few games, but not for any specific categories.

...if you didn't select any categories, then you haven't nominated the game.

Ponch

CJ,

When I got home, I tried voting with IE instead of Firefox, and it worked just fine. It may just be that one of my Firefox plugins that's causing the trouble. I turned off "No Script" before I went to nominations page, but there might be something else running under the hood that's blocking something. Who knows?

Anyhoo, problem solved. Now that it's working for me, let me say I like this year's nominations page better than last years. Good work.

- Ponch

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This system is far and away superior to all the other methods combined.

Ryan Timothy B

Yes.  I've never actually voted before (haven't been here long enough, this'll be the first), but it was very straight forward and simple. :P

Ionias

I agree this is by far the best way to vote yet, and very easy to quickly check up on any missed games.

m0ds

First year of no Yahtzee!

Well, unless AGS Yahtzee wins, that is  :=

Good luck to everyone! There's going to be some tough choices ahead...

No bias here, tho :)

Spoiler

BJ for teh win!!!1117
[close]

Nostradamus

Stupot

It's days like this when I kick myself for not playing more AGS games.
Of all the games on that 2008 list I think I've only played about 10.

Frodo

I nominated a few things.  I love the nomination system - nice work!   ;D

paolo

I've just nominated the games I'd like to see getting awards, and I'll second what others have already said - the new nomination system is beautifully simple to use. Well done!

HillBilly

I've been slacking. I've only played three of the games on the list, one of them being my own. I'd feel dickish only to nominate myself and one other (didn't complete the last).

I'm gonna do a run-through for about ~20 games I've picked out that looked promising, furiously writing small notes to help me remember what was good or bad about them.

i stole your car

That's a lot of games!

Usually I wouldn't vote unless I had played every game (for fairness reasons) but I don't think that's going to happen this time. I'm afraid I'm only going to play through the ones that look and sound the most interesting to me and vote off them. I know this isn't really fair but it's either that or don't vote at all.

Essex

In the last years there were "for your consideration threads" at the general discussion board.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=33457.0

Maybe it would help out some people to decide which games to play...

Ghost

Quote from: bicilotti on Sat 03/01/2009 21:49:49
Well, let's get it started ;)

Maybe a separate thread would be better? But nice to choose my favourite strip!

I already voted and must say that I did so because this time, the voting was a simple, painless and even enjoyable affair. The new layout really is well-done!

Pumaman

I'm glad you all like the nomination system this year -- and as requested I have created a For Your Consideration thread here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=36498.0
Advertise away!

bicilotti, I screwed up your post a bit while moving it to that thread, if you could re-post it that'd be great and then I'll delete the version I posted there.

bicilotti

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 04/01/2009 00:19:46
bicilotti, I screwed up your post a bit while moving it to that thread, if you could re-post it that'd be great and then I'll delete the version I posted there.

Done! And let me state (along with the other forum members) that the nomination page this year is way improved: no way of forgotting by mistake a single game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk