AGS 3.1.2 Final - Obama Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 04/01/2009 00:02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mantra of Doom

I got this error message while running the game from the editor:

I'm running Vista 64 if that matters. I believe the only thing that changed since the time that worked was that I added a few sprites and set those sprites to some Gui buttons. I know there is probably a fix already posted, but I thought since I was using the beta I'd better report it.

Everything else is wonderful though!

EDIT: I got my game working again. I renamed backup_ACSPRSET.SPR to ACSPRSET.SPR, closed the editor, reopened it and re-imported my last sprite. It works now, just scared the crap out of me since I did a lot of things today.
"Imitation is the sincerest form of imitation."

Pumaman

Quote from: MantraofDoom on Sun 11/01/2009 22:31:21
I got this error message while running the game from the editor:

Hmm that's strange, has anyone else had a problem like this?

When that problem happened, if you closed the editor and loaded it again were the sprites still intact?

Mantra of Doom

The only one that wasn't was the last sprite that I imported and it showed a blue cup. All I did was replace that image and it worked fine.

Pumaman

Was that after you renamed the sprite file, or before?

After renaming the backup file, I'd expect that to happen -- but before you renamed the file back, could the editor still open the game successfully and were the sprites there?

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the beta, or indeed with any other version?

Mantra of Doom

Before I renamed the file, nothing really looked right, especially the last gui I was working on. Several random sprites were missing and the game wouldn't run at all. After I renamed the file the editor opened everything except the last one I'd imported. I haven't had any problems since.

On an unrelated note, over the weekend, I plan on loading the Beta of Windows 7, so I'll let you know how AGS handles on the new OS.

marajin

Quote from: MantraofDoom on Tue 13/01/2009 04:53:57
On an unrelated note, over the weekend, I plan on loading the Beta of Windows 7, so I'll let you know how AGS handles on the new OS.

Already gave this a shot myself, worked fine here for Windows 7 32bit on my UMPC. For most respects windows 7 should be almost entirely compatible with Vista stuff so no worries.

Pumaman

Quote from: MantraofDoom on Tue 13/01/2009 04:53:57
Before I renamed the file, nothing really looked right, especially the last gui I was working on. Several random sprites were missing and the game wouldn't run at all. After I renamed the file the editor opened everything except the last one I'd imported. I haven't had any problems since.

Did you get any errors when it was trying to save the game just before the problem happened, that might shed some light on what caused it?
If not, then please do let me know if it happens again.

Mantra of Doom

I got the error initially when I was trying to run the game from the editor. I believe it also happened when I tried to save it. But I haven't gotten it since, so I think it might have been a one-time glitch. I will let you know if I get any more errors.

Pumaman

Ok thanks, well I've added a couple of extra checks into the editor for RC1 so hopefully it should have a better chance of spotting any sprite corruption.

Anyway, RC1 is now up. As I said, because of the Vista crash in the 3.1.1 editor, I want to get this out ASAP, so it's straight to RC now.

Joseph DiPerla

Chris, its been a while since I used AGS and my PC crapped out so I am using this version of AGS for my game. I am having an issue with my simpsons game. I have an idle view for homer. I exported a sprite from the sprite folder. I then edited it and imported it and set it to an idle view.

In the room he is in, the walkable area is set to 63 on the scaling(The game is 640x400 and the sprite is 62x152). And the character uses room scaling. But when the idle animation kicks in, the character shrinks considerably. I cant get the setting right on this. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Or do idle views ignore scaling?

EDIT: Nevermind. I am an idiot. I just had to change the resolution of the new sprite. Sorry. Thanks for all the hard work!
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Pumaman

Hehe, glad you sorted it.

Anyway, RC 2 is now up. This is planned to be the final release of 3.1.2 unless any bugs are found -- so please give it a go and make sure your games are still working!

HammerBlade

Thanks for taking out the letterbox option for 320x240 / 640x480 resolution games!  For a second, it had me convinced my game was messed up.

monkey0506

By the way Chris, thanks so much for the bug fix with the alpha transparency. You're the greatest!

Dataflashsabot

i also would be very interested in the anti-speech-skip thing.

Laukku

A minor bug I just found in 3.1.1 : I had  edited a region (filled rectangular outlines to make a rectangular area) in room 3 and then loaded room 7. I noticed that the newly loaded room had the undo command visible, although I hadn't made any changes yet. I pressed it, and the room's walkable areas were replaced with the rectangular region outlines from room 3! Apparently AGS thought that I was still editing the  region in room 3 and tried to undo my region outline fill. I managed to get the walkable areas back by closing the room without saving.

Sorry if this does not actually belong here, but I didn't see it fixed in the changelist so I thought it still is valid.
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
>WIN GAME
Congratulations! You just won! You got 0 out of 500 points.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Code: ags
mouse.ChangeModeGraphic(eModeUseinv, 80);

Calls like this one generate the following error in the latest release:

Mouse.ChangeModeGraphic cannot be used on the Inventory cursor when the cursor is linked to the active inventory item

I really hope you can return support for the previous behavior since I use this method to change what the inventory cursor looks like on the fly in many, many places in my game.  I realize this is a side-effect of adding the convenient cursor mode icon support to inventory items, but in my game I change the cursor mode image depending on certain circumstances (say if you fill a cup with coffee, or water, or empty it) and this prevents me from doing so now :(.

Pumaman

Quote from: HammerBlade on Fri 23/01/2009 17:05:41
Thanks for taking out the letterbox option for 320x240 / 640x480 resolution games!  For a second, it had me convinced my game was messed up.

Hehe in fact it was your thread that led me to put in that change, because it is quite confusing!

QuoteBy the way Chris, thanks so much for the bug fix with the alpha transparency. You're the greatest!

A pleasure! Glad it's working for you.

QuoteA minor bug I just found in 3.1.1 : I had  edited a region (filled rectangular outlines to make a rectangular area) in room 3 and then loaded room 7. I noticed that the newly loaded room had the undo command visible, although I hadn't made any changes yet. I pressed it, and the room's walkable areas were replaced with the rectangular region outlines from room 3! Apparently AGS thought that I was still editing the  region in room 3 and tried to undo my region outline fill. I managed to get the walkable areas back by closing the room without saving.

Thanks for spotting this, I'll get it fixed.

QuoteI really hope you can return support for the previous behavior since I use this method to change what the inventory cursor looks like on the fly in many, many places in my game.  I realize this is a side-effect of adding the convenient cursor mode icon support to inventory items, but in my game I change the cursor mode image depending on certain circumstances (say if you fill a cup with coffee, or water, or empty it) and this prevents me from doing so now

Why can't you just do something like:

iCup.CursorGraphic = SPRITE_NUMBER_OF_EMPTY_CUP;

However, I do agree that this could cause some backwards compatibility problems with playing older games, so I'll look into making it a warning instead of an error.

woot52

but will the games work better on vista ???

Pumaman

Quote from: woot52 on Tue 27/01/2009 23:25:10
but will the games work better on vista ???

What do you mean? What problem are you having on Vista?

Dualnames

This must be a newbie question but wondering if my code is like this:

A)

if (player.Room==12)  cEgo.Say("Ok."); return;
//functions

B)

if (player.Room==12) {
cEgo.Say("Ok."); 
return;
}
//functions
[code/]

Only case B stops at return. That's supposed to happen, right?

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk