Sea Kittens

Started by Akatosh, Thu 15/01/2009 10:30:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Akatosh

Seems like PETA has finally passed the total nut borderline and is still picking up speed. I mean... what?

HEALTH WARNING: May lead to a fair deal of head-desking.

lo_res_man

Ooh, I love cuteness, I like Pingu and Wall*E and LOLcats and baby hedgehogs and Beatrix Potter and Little Bear, and all manner of other cute things. But this, this is disgusting, it breaches even my line between, 'oooh, so. . . cuuute!*squeal!*' and, 'where would I be able to procure some bags for the disposal of partially precessed former food stuffs?'
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

SSH

Pingu eats sea kittens, so its good enough for me!

Layabout

Hah, yes, I already mentioned this nuttyness in passing in the Free Range meat thread.

Essentially what they are saying is Jesus was evil because he ate a fish, if your mind is as warped as mine.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Ghost

I feel a sudden urge to head-shot fish sticks.

Nacho

What are sea kittens? I' ve googled and I only get weird explanations about a PETA way of calling the fishes...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Mr Flibble

This is exactly, exactly why I hate PETA.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Play_Pretend

Nacho: It's an attempt at propaganda, like KFC suddenly being "Kitchen Fresh Chicken" because fried is a bad word.  PETA is saying they think people won't want to catch or hurt fish if they were called something cuter like sea kittens.

Babar

I....don't understand. Why would anyone get worked up over this? Does it matter what you (or anyone else) calls a fish? Does it matter if an organisation that has dedicated itself to the prevention of.....hurting of animals launches a campaign in an attempt to bring sympathy to these animals? While someone might not be affected by it, or might consider it to be misguided, why would it affect anyone to the extent of 'head-desking' or head-shotting fish-sticks?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Andail

By the thread title I thought this was about some new maritime AGS-meeting.

zabnat

Is PETA really an abbreviation of People Eating Tasty Animals?

space boy

This seems like a double plus good idea.

Sam.

Quote from: Mr Flibble on Thu 15/01/2009 12:38:19
This is exactly, exactly why I hate PETA.

Why? Over fishing is a serious problem, not just because it is bad for the fish, it's bad for the world. Some organisation is trying a novel, admittedly kitsch, idea to get people to think about fishing and where their fish come from. You hate PETA?

For a non vegetarian such as myself, some of the stuff PETA does doesn't really connect with how I think stuff should be, but they're not exactly bad guys for wanting to protect animals are they?
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Nacho

Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Akatosh

Quote from: Babar on Thu 15/01/2009 13:02:48
While someone might not be affected by it, or might consider it to be misguided, why would it affect anyone to the extent of 'head-desking' or head-shotting fish-sticks?

Because of how ridiculous and ham-fisted it is. It's a good ol' attempt at manipulating people through language, but in an extremly clumsy and retarded way. I mean, Sea Kittens? That's a bit like trying to get people to call roaches 'Ground Butterflies' and hope that will guilt the population into showing them more sympathy... only less subtle and even more retarded, because fish and felines have basically nothing in common.

But then again, I'm just a CRUEL AND CARNIVOROUS DEVOURER OF TEAR-STAINED DEAD ANIMAL CORPSES.  :P

MoodyBlues

So instead of trying to get us to appreciate fish for what they are, PETA felinamorphizes them because humans are incapable of loving anything that isn't OMGSH LOL KAWAII CUTE ^_^.

"No one would hurt a sea kitten!"  Of course not, because THEY DON'T EXIST.  Unless you're talking about baby catfish.
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

Tuomas

That does it, I'm never eating fish again. From now on it's only those small cats... skinned alive and boiled alive. Yummy, makes the meat tender.

Mr Flibble

People only care about protecting cute animals, that's my problem with this.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Sam.

So the irony of that webpage just whistled past you then?
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Darth Mandarb

Do Carp count as 'Sea Kittens'?  Because, really ... Carp are nasty.  Seriously.  I have no desire to snuggle with that sucker.

Even if:
QuoteSea Kitten Facts

Like their surface-dwelling cousins, the land kittens, sea kittens enjoy being petted. Their lack of arms makes it difficult for them to pet back, but they often gently rub against each other as a sign of affection.

Which I found odd because if the "land" kittens are referring to cats the last time I checked cats don't have arms and don't pet back either.  Now if land kittens is a way of referring to people ... well ... I don't get petted by people either.  I suppose you could consider some of the stuff women do with me as "petting" but that's the very last thing I want a fish ... er ... sea kitten, doing to me.

Aside from the silly-ness of it all the site is actually well put together and cutesy.  I think some of the things they do are a tad silly but PETA doesn't really bother me.  To each their own I guess.  Granted I'm only saying that from what I do know of them which, admittedly, isn't a vast well of knowledge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk