Sea Kittens

Started by Akatosh, Thu 15/01/2009 10:30:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

I am surprised nobody has mentioned..,.

CHICKEN OF THE SEA

Tuomas

Why's there a mermaid on the can? It's like that Hungarian cheese that had an image of a bear and a ham printed on it.

Meowster

PETA aren't actually all that great when it comes to animal welfare. One of their slogans is something like - "better off dead than in a cage", and as such they put down something like 90% of the animals that come into their shelters without bothering to try and rehome them. I think my cats would both disagree with that slogan very much. Very little of the money they receive in donations, a paltry sum actually goes to trying to find homes for domestic animals that have been abandoned.

I was very frustrated the other day... I think it was in the Gaurdian that I read something about Sea Kittens, but the person writing it (who I believe was a PETA member) raised a lot of very interesting points about fish that we generally overlook as we see them as well, just fish. About them having as much or more cognitive ability than many animals we frequently interact with etc. I suspect very much that the points were exaggerated or worded cleverly to support her argument (I'm sure the average cod is not the kind of awesome fish she was describing to be honest), but it annoyed me because the "Sea Kitten" campaign has so far utterly failed to achieve anything despite having so much money poured into it that could have been spent on rehoming animals or something. All it's done is make people laugh, and it's failed to deliver ANY of the amazing facts that this journalist did in her few paragraphs. Have you read the online book? Tony the Tuna graduated from university with a degree in neuroscience and environmental studies? No he didn't, he's a fish!

One of my friends worked on a trawler once and after witnessing the fishing process he stopped eating fish completely. He wasn't even a particularly "animal welfarey" person like I am. It wasn't even so much the (quite painful) death of the fish that bothered him - it was the utter waste. Thousands and thousands of dead fish thrown back into the sea as utter waste because of the fishing regulations, because they 'caught too much' and aren't allowed to take it back to shore. Completely destroying our seas, needlessly killing thousands upon thousands of fish and then just throwing them back into the sea as waste...

But PETA fails to convey these issues properly to people because it alienates them by making up ridiculous stories about fish and having a totalitarian "YOU SHOULDN'T EAT FISH!" approach, when in fact I think it's quite bloody normal for cats, humans, bears, birds, even some kinds of SPIDERS to eat fish. So to tell millions of people that they're without doubt WRONG for eating fish is sort of counter productive, whereas giving them unbiased facts about the health of the ocean, the sins of trawler fishing and the ability of fish to feel pain etc is a far better idea. This may encourage people to make more informed decisions about the kind of fish they buy, or hey it might even make them buy less fish or stop them buying it at all. But no, PETA would rather spend their money agitating people which, really, is pretty unproductive.

Erm so that's the beef I have with PETA. If anybody cares, there actually is a lot to be concerned about when it comes to our oceans, but you're not going to find the information you need from PETA and you're probably not going to have your opinion swayed by them either.

Bonus fact: fish is delicious.

Essentially what they are saying is Jesus was evil because he ate a fish, if your mind is as warped as mine.

Layabout, I am amazed that anyones primary reaction to the hilarity/ridiculousness/waste of time of this PETA campaign, could be anger that it suggests jesus was evil for eating a fish. I don't know why, it just seems like the funniest, strangest and most far removed conclusion you could possibly draw from it all.

Akatosh

Quote from: Meowster on Thu 15/01/2009 16:18:02
I don't know why, it just seems like the funniest, strangest and most far removed conclusion you could possibly draw from it all.

... and thus quite fitting to the unintentional hilarity and cloudcuckoolandiness (spelling may vary) of that campaign.  :=

monkey0506

Quote from: Tuomas on Thu 15/01/2009 14:45:02That does it, I'm never eating fish again. From now on it's only those small cats... skinned alive and boiled alive. Yummy, makes the meat tender.

Peoplle for the Eating of Land Kittens! Join PELK today!

P.S. Check out mah Dang Cute Kitteh! It's the cutest dang kitteh you evar did sea!

Layabout

Quote from: Meowster on Thu 15/01/2009 16:18:02

Essentially what they are saying is Jesus was evil because he ate a fish, if your mind is as warped as mine.

Layabout, I am amazed that anyones primary reaction to the hilarity/ridiculousness/waste of time of this PETA campaign, could be anger that it suggests jesus was evil for eating a fish. I don't know why, it just seems like the funniest, strangest and most far removed conclusion you could possibly draw from it all.

Haha, I am Agnostic. I just find it very ironic that vegetarians who are also Christians, will not eat fish, when their so-called saviour does. And I'm sure there were Christians at the 'sea-kitten' ideas meeting at PETA...

On another somewhat outsidey-boxey train of thought, what will Kittens eat if fish are to be called 'Sea-Kittens'? Surely not Sea-Kittens as that would be akin to cannibalism of the feline persuasion.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Creed Malay

Thinking of fish in a different way probably would lead to me treating them different, just as I wouldn't balk at eating dog if I'd been brought up in some place where that was normal, like Switzerland.
I've eaten fishes with their heads and eyes still on before, I don't think I could do that if I equated them with kittens.

Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

Trihan

I made my own Sea Kitten.

Then I ate it.

It tasted like fish.

LUniqueDan

Noooooooooo.

Just like...

No.

Just : no.

I'm not going to comment. SH++

They really just crossed the line.

(Thanks 'Tosh for the link.)

QuoteSea kittens are just as intelligent (not to mention adorable) as dogs and cats, and they feel pain just as all animals do.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Domino

When Sea Kittens get older, do they become Cat Fish?

I wonder what the Cat Fish thinks about this whole thing?  :)

edit:

Somebody has already caught one.

lo_res_man

Looks like good eatin'
Nom, nom nom.
Except fer them photoshop pixels, they're jagged and get stuck in my teeth. ;)
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

deltoran

there are crazy PETA.

if you think: PETA has crossed that line with sea kittens and that who ever created them was on drugs!
then sign the Petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/NOSEAk/petition.html

i see what there doing, but WTF with sea kittens!  :o
Dont believe the dreams
Ever lasting dreams
Live or let die
The truth is shy
Over the hills
Run through the stream
And you can stand it
No more

Alynn

I had lemon pepper sea kitten the other night.

It was the cat's meow. (groan)

voh

I really don't get the 'PETA has crossed the line' crap.

Their point is a fair one, though their way of approaching the subject is admittedly silly. When people think of animal welfare, fish aren't usually included. But there IS a problem with overfishing and a lot of people don't realize that.

PETA trying to get attention to this fact: Good.
Sea kittens: Cute, but fairly useless.

People getting pissed off by PETA and their sea kittens: Sad.
Still here.

Domino

LimpingFish will have to change his name to LimpingSeaKitten.

It just doesn't sound right.  :)

mkennedy

Homer: MMMMM..... sea kittens.... (drool)

We can still eat sky puppies though, right?

monkey0506

Sorry mkennedy but sky puppies are on the out too. But if you sign my petition then we can get Land Kittens legalized for consumption! :=

I'd say anyone actually getting "angry" about this is taking it a bit out of hands themselves, but honestly "Sea Kittens" is beyond absurd. Which is why I created the equally absurd petition to legalize Land Kitten meat. ;)

lo_res_man

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sat 17/01/2009 01:54:59
I'd say anyone actually getting "angry" about this is taking it a bit out of hands themselves, but honestly "Sea Kittens" is beyond absurd. Which is why I created the equally absurd petition to legalize Land Kitten meat. ;)
I have eaten Land Kitten.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

TerranRich

Everytime you masturbate, God eats a land kitten.

Dualnames

The webpage was so retarted and all that I went and created WTF. My own kitten..fish one
http://www.peta.org/Sea_Kittens/game_F2F.asp?sea_kitten=c|tr||c0|1||c1|1||c2|1||c3|2||c4|1||c6|1||c7|1||c8|1||c9|1||c10|1||n|WTF

Forward it everywhere because Sea..ah..WTF man!!!!! 8)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk