Sprite Jam - Genre Switch! (Until February 7th)

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Mon 26/01/2009 13:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

Ahoy again, folks,

I'd like to apologize again for the late response after that last competition, I'm afraid I wasn't accessing the net for a few days. I'm back now, though, and ready to start us all up on a new Sprite Jam! I'm not great at working up themes for these Jams that are overly complicated, but this one came to me on a train ride today, while contemplating how some adventure games would play if you changed the setting that the characters were in.

I'd like to see a reimagining of a character from a reasonably well-known adventure game (Commercial games or Independent adventure game characters are fine, as long as they're established - Pib, Larry Vales, Rode Kill are fine with me as much as Bobbin Threadbare or Sonny Bonds), but I'd like to see how you'd present them in a different setting (Example, Guybrush Threepwood in an office environment - Larry Laffer... In Space!)

I'd prefer to avoid paintovers in different outfits, if possible, so all I'm looking for is to be able to recognize who the character is, and what kind of setting they've been re-assigned to.

For this contest, size and color depth are free, but I will still be making sure that sprites are viable in-game (If you're going to make a sprite, scan and resize, please clean up the outline so that it will fit on multiple background colors). Please make the Background of the sprite transparent (Or at least one color, so that I can change it to transparency).

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Ghost

Ooo, shit yeah! The possibilities of this!

Space reserved for later haunting.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ALPHATT

/sig

Daniel Thomas

Its Sam and Max, freelance po.... vikings?

This is my interpretation of Sam and Max, and for the theme they're back to the vikings age. (dont worry, Max is a natural blonde, so no chemicals were used)

As for the techincal part: I went for a cellshade since that should be acceptable I think, Some things might need to be simplify to make in animateable (like the belt) wihtout the animator pulling his hair(unless you go for cutout animation).

(Max is suppose to be a valkyria - explaining the hair) :)
Them "In action":
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Jakerpot

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Hah, those are great zyndicate!  The style also reminds me of Asterix for some reason, which is a good thing!

Mad

It has been way too long...

reference

EDIT: Sorry, It is he... from Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths

One either thoroughly enjoys the game or one goes utterly bonkers.
I've played it and am still undecided about the whole experience... you may be the judge of that! ;)

Jakerpot

hahaha! Great Mad...
Who is that nerd guy?  ;D

Misj'

Have an idea...let's hope I'll have time (and let's hope no one else has the same idea :) )

Zyndikate, Mad two great entries (this is running for one day, and already I don't envy SpacePirate when he has to choose the winner)

We all know the story about a land before time. A land that needed a hero. A leader:

Ben riding his PoleCat.

-- click image for slightly larger version --

I'm sorry Zyndikate, but I really couldn't resist ;)

-- click image to enlarge --

Edit:
I have no idea why I made the PoleCat black rather than white as you would expect...So I made an edit:

Yes, Polecats are not Arctic felines but rather a type of weasel...but I preferred the Arctic interpretation. And many Arctic animals are white. And a hero riding a big cat is somewhat more impressive than a dude sitting on a weasel.

On a technical note:
- I used soft cell-shading (which works the same as normal cell-shading, but the layer is slightly blurred)
- This is one of the few images that I've drawn that are done completely digital (from sketches to the final product)...I generally prefer paper, but this was fun to do as well.
- Colours used: 10 or 11
              - Body Ben, area below eyes PoleCat, and area in mouth PoleCat: 1 colour
              - Ben's clothing, the cat's nose, ears, and throat: 2 colours
              - Ben's teeth, the cat's teeth, the cat's claws: 1 colour
              - The cat's beard, Ben's beard, and the PoleCat sign: 1 colour
              - The cat's eyes: 2 colours
              - Reins and saddle: 1 colour
              - Ben's hair (and PoleCat's colour in the original): 1 colour
              - PoleCat's colour in the edit: 1 colour
              - Outlines: 1 colour
Shades are created by a layer of semitransparent black (same as the outlines, but transparent), and some highlights by semitransparent white (same as the PoleCat in the edit, but transparent).

There is a lot of overlap between the colours of Ben and the PoleCat. This does not only reduce the colour-count but also creates a greater unity between the two characters (this is also why originally they had the same hair-colour, but it just really didn't make much sense).

ALPHATT

I'm working on my entry I hope no one has the same idea.
actually it's a bit unoriginal but I hope you'll like it.

/sig

Jakerpot

Daniel Thomas

Sorry, Misj, but now I think Ill need to make nasty things(hold that thought, you) to you for two reason - one being that you used my background and the second for doing an awesome sprite :)
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

loominous

Looking for a writer

SpacePirateCaine

Looking awesome so far, everyone - I can't say as I'm familiar with Tony Tough, but it's a commercial game, and just 'coz I don't know it, doesn't mean it won't be qualified. Looking great. Also loving Sam, Max & Ben. Loominous, great rethinking of the DOTT cast. For some reason, I'd have to say Hoagie is my favorite of the characters you've got showing there... Not sure why, but it just seems to fit.

Honestly, I'm super old-fashioned and would've preferred to see the sprites altered not to have alpha channels but to be a solid one-color backgorund (Hence that whole: 'One color so that I can change it to transparency' thing), as when I open it in my image editing program and change the color of the background with a fill tool I get all kinds of wild and unusual things. Still, that is the way to avoid a jaggy outline, so I'm going to accept it.

This has no bearing on the results of the contest, so don't feel obligated to make any changes, but consequentially for the Hi-Res folks, if you use a traditional 'fill' tool with tolerance set to 0, are you seeing the weird things going on that I am?

I'd like to avoid going too far off topic, so I may actually open another thread in Adventure-Related, but I'm just interested.

Edit: Topic made. I'd love it if you guys dropped in and gave your two cents as well.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

ALPHATT

Larry Wilco in trouble:

x2

I started working on Passionate Patti too but I didn't had time. Maybe later I'll post her too
:)

(yes it's larry in space, I'm sorry for stealing the example idea, heh.)
/sig

bog

meet Thrall, the polecat:

hangin out with his gang:

in case you don't know, this is where Thrall is from:
http://www.demonsoflight.net/AreaGiochi/Collection/WarcraftAdventuresConceptArt.htm

rharpe

"Hail to the king, baby!"

Dudeman Thingface

Prepare for LeChuck PI;
Pirate Investigator.

Mazoliin

Oh, my it's...

Simon The School Student and how we're used to see him

Coulors taken from game screenshots

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk