MODULE: ParticleSystemManager v1.01

Started by jerakeen, Mon 26/01/2009 19:57:29

Previous topic - Next topic

jerakeen

Hi, for the last weeks i been working on it and now i share for you.

This module has been built to simulate effects like rain, waterfall, fire, smoke,
snow and others.

We can have some particle systems at the same time.
We can define some forces wich modifies particles velocity and position.
We can change color, transparency and scale of particles.
And we can choose between draw a particle system in the background of a room,
in a sprite or using an overlay.

Requires AGS V3.0.0 or later

Screenshots

Here is the module (Vers 1.00):

Module ParticleSystemManager v1.00

And a demo (in AGS v3.1.1)

ParticleSystemManager Demogame

ParticleSystemManager Exe

Edit by Dualnames: Removed links that don't work

In the demo game you can do player walk around to see how slow or fast the game is using particle system.

When drawing particle system in a sprite, you can use this sprite in a room's object and do the player walk around and interact with it.

Remember that too many particles will slow down the game.

NOTE: There are some problems drawing transparent particle system in sprites

EDIT:

There is a new release of the module.
These are the changes:

<11-JAN-09> Jerakeen,

Created original version

<08-APR-09> Jerakeen,

Replaced RawSaveScreen by DrawingSurface functions.

<17-APR-09> abstauber,

Add emitter_set_certain_sprites function and changes to manage
      the sprites of the first particles in the system.

<20-APR-09> Jerakeen,

Add emitter_set_sprites_indexes function and changes to manage
      sprites with non consecutive index.

And here is the module:

Module ParticleSystemManager v1.01 

Edit by Dualnames: Removed links that don't work

Thanks to abstauber by the function emitter_set_certain_sprites and code modifications.

Enjoy it

GarageGothic

Looks very nice. However, I get 0 byte files when trying to download the demo and the demo source files :(

Ghost

Download works okay for me, and the module defenitely looks interesting. Thanks for sharing!

jerakeen

Try again the same links, it should work

GarageGothic

Yup, now it works. But I swear, I tried downloading each file four times earlier, both through direct click and right-click-save-as, and I all I got was "download finished" with a 0 byte file.

Great work jerakeen! The demo is very convincing.

jerakeen

Sorry, the links were broken and i upload the files again, then Ghost could download ok and you too.

I hope you found this module useful.

i'm sure i'll add some improvements in the future.

thanks

Khris

Nice work!
It looks like the snow and rain particles accelerate their fall though; this isn't true in real life and thus looks weird.

jerakeen

Quote from: KhrisMUC on Tue 27/01/2009 15:05:26
Nice work!
It looks like the snow and rain particles accelerate their fall though; this isn't true in real life and thus looks weird.

Thank you. This is only a demo. If you take a look to the code int Room1, you will see than changing initial velocity (emitter_set_velocity) and removing the force (action_add_force)  in y negative you'll achieve what you want.

Khris

Ah, ok, I didn't look at the source code yet.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Rocco

great work,  :)
covered nearly all circumstances.

Joe

This is INCREDIBLE!!! :o

I'm really really impressed. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Copinstar © Oficial Site

redspark

I'm using AGS 3.1.2 SP1 and I get errors for RawScreenSave() and RawScreenRestore() in my project which was created in 3.1.2 SP1 but I don't get the errors when I compile the demo in this version of AGS.  According to the documentation, those functions are obsolete now.  I'm going to replace them with DrawingSurface functions but I'm pretty new to AGS and I'm not sure what I'm doing. ;)  Is there a better way to do this?  Thanks.

jerakeen

Quote from: redspark on Sat 04/04/2009 13:48:00
I'm using AGS 3.1.2 SP1 and I get errors for RawScreenSave() and RawScreenRestore() in my project which was created in 3.1.2 SP1 but I don't get the errors when I compile the demo in this version of AGS.  According to the documentation, those functions are obsolete now.  I'm going to replace them with DrawingSurface functions but I'm pretty new to AGS and I'm not sure what I'm doing. ;)  Is there a better way to do this?  Thanks.

Hi, you can compile it changing some parameters in "General Settings" pane, in Scripting section there are 2 options: "Enforce new-style strings" and "Enforce object-based scripting". If you set both of them to false im sure it will compile using RawScreenSave() function.

I'll change this function in the future.

redspark

Ok.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

Dualnames

It works brilliantly, just wanting you to know that. It's fairly more customizable and user-friendly than Akumayo's Particle Engine. Not to mention its also faster. Akumayo's needed at least 2Ghz to work in a smooth way.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

jerakeen

Thanks Dualnames. But i think my module is sill sloooow.

Im trying to change some thing to improve it.

Dualnames

Quote from: jerakeen on Thu 09/04/2009 12:00:30
Thanks Dualnames. But i think my module is sill sloooow.

Im trying to change some thing to improve it.

Check Akumayos. That's slow. Mostly because of the rawdraw.

jerakeen

Hi, there is a new version of the module, with minor changes.

redspark

Thank you!  I'm going to download this and give it a try.  Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk