SCORE - you like it?

Started by Jakerpot, Tue 27/01/2009 00:49:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakerpot

I just replay a adventure game, if i played 1-2-3 years ago. Just like URU: Ages Beyond Myst. Great game. VERY Challenging, but i completed it... with some help... of some sites...

Galen

Quote from: Eggie on Wed 28/01/2009 01:29:03
I think Michael Land's score for Monkey Island is very effective.
I hope that was posted as a joke. :s

Babar

I also liked Charles Deenen on the Lord of the Rings score!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Jakerpot

Never played that game babar  :P
And the race game points systems, as need for speed underground, where you earn points winning races and spend them unlocking things and buying them with money to put in your car.

LimpingFish

Score isn't bad.

Swank is probably better.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Jakerpot

What you mean with Swank?  ???

Galen

Quote from: jakerpot on Wed 28/01/2009 20:15:01
A varient of the slang term "loot" meaning money.

LimpingFish

I'm obviously too much of a degenerate for this thread.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Domino

Quote from: jakerpot on Wed 28/01/2009 20:15:01

SCORE with Hilary Swank.  Yes, I would like.  :)

miguel

I personally like games with a visible score or with the option to check what is the score I have achieved.
It makes things clear to me as a player. I'll explain:
   - if I get points out of conversations then I'll know that what NPC's say is actually important to solve a given puzzle;
   - if I get points out of examining a candle that sits between fiver other on a shelf at the back of a room then I'll know I'll have to carefully search for clues;
   - if I get points out of combining objects then I'll know I should try so and not just find places where I can use them;

In a way it helps me finding out what type of adventure game I'm playing.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Jakerpot

Oh, Swank  ;D
Well, i was playing Guitar Hero World Tour, and it have a rank system. I like Rank Systems because estimulate you to play to achieve a new rank, like the tittles on Guild Wars (THE Best MMORPG in the World) that are show after your name, so other players can see your achieves. The STEAM achievements (that are a jackass copy from 360) are cool too, because other players can see you achieves and can invite you for a match or inviting you for a clan. I don't know how that applies to adventure games, but these are points-like systems like scores.
J-

blueskirt

The sole games I remember caring for the points were the Indiana Jones games, as points were mostly for alternate solutions rather than useless actions and your score was carried with you even when you died, reloaded a previous savegame or restarted the game. It really added an incentive to find all those alternate solutions to puzzles. Otherwise points don't really bother me and it doesn't spoil me how far I am in the game as generally solving the last puzzle in a game earn you 50 times more points than every other puzzles in the game, at best they make the games seem longer than they actually are.

You know what I miss now? That little sound that was played in the late Sierra games when you solved a puzzle and earned a point, man, that sound was so great to hear when you were stuck on the same puzzle for a long time.

Jakerpot

i got scared when i got my 1 point in Ben Jordan (Max sound)  ;D

Galen

Quote from: miguel on Wed 28/01/2009 23:37:35
I personally like games with a visible score or with the option to check what is the score I have achieved.
It makes things clear to me as a player. I'll explain:
   - if I get points out of conversations then I'll know that what NPC's say is actually important to solve a given puzzle;
   - if I get points out of examining a candle that sits between fiver other on a shelf at the back of a room then I'll know I'll have to carefully search for clues;
   - if I get points out of combining objects then I'll know I should try so and not just find places where I can use them;

In a way it helps me finding out what type of adventure game I'm playing.

You could do the zelda thing and just play a jingle.

bspeers

Score in Edge of Reality is used for many of the jokes, and also to track secret items/extra puzzles.  Plus, the only way to get anywhere near full points is to find the alternate ending.  Then, there is a sequence where you have an amount of time equal to your score to escape.  Basically, score plays an integral part to the plot, puzzles, writing and gameplay.
I also really liked my old signature.

miguel

"You could do the zelda thing and just play a jingle."
:(, lost in translation there. Sorry crazy.

Galen

In the legend of zelda series of games when you complete a puzzle or unlock a game a small musical sound (jingle) is played.

miguel

Ok I get it, I guess it has the same effect, yeah.

Jakerpot

Ok, but BJ scared me a lot. o.o
Do you like finding secret itens, such as coins, on the rooms, and then use them to unlock extras? If yes say YES! If no say NO! I will decide if i want to put this on my game.

rbaleksandar

Quote from: matti on Tue 27/01/2009 01:13:29
I don't like scores either. It makes adventures look like non-adventure-games and it's unnecessary too. I don't want to know how far I've got in the game either (like a score of 87/100). But as far as I can remember I haven't ever played an adventure with a score (except one of the larry-games many many years ago I guess).

No Sierra? No Indy?  :o
I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk