Portuguese-speaking people - help me collect! Build for the future!

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Wed 03/06/2009 09:59:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Hello there, AGS boards! Long time no see! Sorry I haven't kept up, but I really became a lot more interested in interactive fiction (text adventures) recently. I can't check back here as often as I'd like to, and I've really lagged behind on AGS. Well, it was tough, but hey - however many times people say "It's not the graphics, it's the story", using AGS without any visual artistic ability is a bit of a bummer in the long run. Also, I've found the freedom of a text adventure (when properly programmed - see "Infocom" for what I mean) refreshing after a long period of graphic adventures. Also, I don't use the mouse as much, so my wrist gets a rest. It's all good stuff! :D

Now for the reason I'm posting this. I'm posting this here because it's adventure-related - or so I think. If it ain't, well, would a mod kindly move it to gen-gen?

There are english and american adventure-game communities (duh). There are german communities. There are spanish, italian and french communities. There are russian communities.

There are no portuguese one, and no brazillian ones.

Ok, so we're a minority - and we portuguese are even a smaller minority than our pals from across the ocean - but maybe it's all in taking the first step, you know.

So, here's what I'm leasurely doing. Right now I'm collecting adventure games in Portuguese. My next step will be to make an Inform 7 extension with which portuguese text adventures can be made (though the code remains in english). One day I hope to put them all together into a site, link to AGS and Wintermute (yes! have said the W word! Fear me!) as well as TADS, ADRIFT, SUDS, and whatever utilities I can think of. Possibly set up a free forum. And then advertise, and watch for about a year as the site gets absolutely no visitors. Then maybe something will happen, some spark, and it will kick off.

See, I got it all planned out. ;D

Now, here's what I'm asking *right now*: if you know of a Portuguese adventure game, or a game which has been translated to Portuguese, let me know. Do not PM me, as I'm still rather disconnected from this place - use either pedro_correia_pires AT hotmail DOT com or peter_pears AT hotmail DOT com (don't ask). Feel free to send me the games you find. If you feel free to send me a virus, I'll feel free to send it back. Share and share alike! I'll keep on the lookout myself, of course.

Here's the meager list so far:

Diacho (BASIC source code, runnable with QBASIC, text RPGish thing)
Overrun (BASIC source code, runnable with QBASIC, text RPGish thing)
Larry (Spectrum z80 snapshot, an actual text-adventure translation of Leisure Suit Larry 1!)
A Lenda da Gávea (Spectrum TZX tape)
Mad in Cashcais (aka Mad in Cascais, Spectrum TZX tape)
Paranoia (CYOA, windows EXE)
Maniac Mansion Deluxe (AGS remake of MM, includes Portuguese translation)
The New Adventures of Zak McKracken (AGS game, includes Portuguese translation)

...ok, it ain't much. But it's a start. For a hobby, it's not half bad. Only three quarters so.

Ok, I might have overstayed my welcome now. :) On unrelated issues, keep on growing, AGS! My blood pumper doth fly out to thee!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Leon

Hey, RUI, welcome back! Indeed long time no see.

Since I come across a lot of adventure games, I'll keep an eye out for the Portugese ones. If you have names but trouble finding them, let me know as well. I've got a few 'connections' ;-)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Leon! Fellow pack-rat! Have they made you the chief archiver of the place and given you the keys to bycicles-for-slugs yet? No? What are they waiting for?!

Thanks for your help - I *will* take you up on it... if I know of any. There's so few of them I probably already have all the portuguese adventure games in existence - a dreary thought, but there you go.

Kneel. Now.

Jakerpot

im brazilian, and i making a game too! I will make a portuguese translation as soon as i release it. It's name is Mansion Break (nothing to do with maniac mansion)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Original projects by portuguese/brazilians are, as you can imagine, even better. :) Be sure to e-mail me when it's ready, 'k?

Kneel. Now.

Jakerpot

Sure  ;D You can acess my blog to see it's development progress too:
The Jakerpot Release
Thank you  ;)

miguel

Hi Rui, happy to hear from you.
You gave me a reason to translate Dwarven Dagger and to release a portuguese version of Blue Moon when it's finished.
Great stuff you are doing, and did you know that an uncle of mine was involved in Mad in Cascais?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

He was? Fancy that!

In that case, I don't suppose you can tell me how to make it work? ::) I've been trying with Spectaculator, the best Spectrum emulator I've found, but I just can't seem to make it work...

Kneel. Now.

miguel

I have no clue my friend. But I'll contact him and see what he says.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Leon

Rui, here's your shadow again...  ;)

Just played around a bit with Mad in Cashcais. Here's how I got it started:

-Start Spectaculator (I used 7.0.1.1349)
-Select the 48k Model
-Show the taperecorder. Select only fast load and auto play. All others off.
-Load the game .tap from File/Open
-In your ZX screen press J and type "" so the command is LOAD "" and press enter.

The game should run now. If not, let me know. I got it running on XP.

[update]
And if it doesn't work... why not play Mad in Cashcais online?

José Luiz

I think there's a project for translating "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" into Portuguese - I'll try to check it -, and I'm also sure that "Apprentice I" is already translated - I myself started making a translation, but I stopped it when I found out it was already done...

I liked your idea very much, Rui, and I'll look for other games in Portuguese too.

Saudações brasileiras. :D
"L'Histoire est un roman qui a été." (Edmond and Jules de Goncourt)

Leon

Jakerpot

Cool  :D i didn't knew apprentice had a portuguese translation!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Me neither, thanks for the info. :)

Say, I checked out AGDInteractive, figuring "I remember KQ1VGA had a couple of translations, maybe one of them's portuguese?". I must have been really out of touch - I found re-releases of KQ1 and KQ2... and found that translations were no longer supported. What's up with that?

EDIT - Wow, I managed to skip over two posts. Leon, thanks for the help! I got it working eventually.  ;D

Kneel. Now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk