AGS 3.1.2 SP1 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Tue 03/02/2009 20:07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

On the Great Snow Day of 2009, it gives me great pleasure to announce the release of AGS 3.1.2.

Changes in SP1:
* The Editor will now not allow you to open the same game in two different copies of the editor
* Fixed translations and [ tag not working on GUIs (regression from 3.1.1)
* Fixed crash with custom dialog options if you saved the game before running any dialogs
* Fixed editor crash with tiled sprite import if you dragged out an invisible selection area
* Fixed editor crash if the Game.agf.user file was read-only
* Fixed auto-number speech lines to not number "..." lines
* Fixed TintScreen not working properly in some situations with DX5 driver

Changes since 3.1.1 are as follows:

* Added support for using Transparency properties with alpha-channel sprites
* Added inventory item CursorImage property to allow you to set a different image for the mouse cursor to the inventory window
* Added F4 hotkey to jump straight to the Events grid to edit interactions
* Editor now remembers which item in the property grid was selected as you switch between tabs
* Added Character.SpeechAnimationDelay property which replaces the old game.talkanim_speed setting and also works with Sierra-style speech. A new General Settings option is provided to enable/disable backwards compatibility.
* Added Game.TextReadingSpeed and Game.MinimumTextDisplayTime properties; obsoleted game.text_speed
* Added plugin API event AGS_EngineInitGfx and methods GetDirectInputKeyboard, GetDirectInputMouse and ReplaceFontRenderer.
* Added Error Reporting feature to editor, to send error information to AGS website if the editor crashes
* Added eKey* enum for use with on_key_press and IsKeyPressed, to make script more readable
* Added Show Start Page option to Help menu to allow you to access Tips if you have the start page disabled at startup
* When changing the game resolution, the editor will now offer to automatically resize all your GUIs to compensate.
* Improved performance of Theora video playing
* Templates are now stored in a "Templates" sub-folder to satisfy Vista permissions
* "Letterbox Mode" option in General Settings is now only shown if the game resolution is 320x200 or 640x400
* Moved the character SpeechColor property from the Movement to the Appearance section in the editor, where it belongs!
* Moved the "You are currently using the eraser" tooltip further away from the cursor  so it doesn't obscure what you're doing
* Improved rendering of View Editor at 120 DPI
* DynamicSprite.Resize now won't allow new image to be over 25 MB to help spot mistakes in size calculations
* Mouse.ChangeModeGraphic now won't allow you to change the graphic of the Inventory  cursor if "Use selected inventory graphic for cursor" is enabled
* Translations are now automatically recompiled if you change the game name, to ensure that they still work
* Made some stability improvements to how the editor handles the sprite file
* Improved the editor error message if the game folder had unicode characters in it
* Fixed option-off-forever being treated as option-off.
* Fixed compile error if you created a Bool in the Global Variables editor with default value set to upper case "TRUE" or "FALSE"
* Fixed editor crash in Vista creating a new game
* Fixed intermittent editor crash that could occur when shutting down the game
* Fixed ChangeRoomAutoPosition not working properly in hi-res games with hi-res co-ordinates
* Fixed dynamic sprites sometimes being discarded by the sprite cache
* Fixed Vista Game Explorer integration appearing as "Play" in the start menu recent list
* Fixed save games not persisting the walking state of the highest-numbered character
* Fixed editor's room area undo buffer not being cleared when a different room was loaded
* Fixed custom dialog options not working properly when using transparent background
* Fixed Dialog.GetOptionText returning original English text when a translation was in use
* Fixed button ClipImage property clipping 1 pixel too many in high-res games
* Fixed PlayVideo not working properly when DX5 graphics filter was in use
* Fixed PlayAmbientSound screwing up audio if it was used on a channel where a normal PlaySound command was still playing
* Fixed DX5 driver problem switching a GUI background graphic from one with to one without an alpha channel
* Fixed DisplayAtY, GUI.SetSize and Mouse.SetPosition not checking Y co-ordinate correctly in 320x240 and 640x480 games when using native co-ordinates
* Fixed colour corruption if you imported an 8-bit sprite into a hi-color game and palette slot 0 of the sprite was not black
* Fixed dialog script compiler bug if you used "this" in a string within a normal scripting command
* Fixed script editor crash if you deleted a block of code, then hovered the mouse over a script variable.
* Fixed GUI button being set to wrong size if you changed its image in the editor to a low-res sprite in a hi-res game
* Fixed game.screenshot_height not allowing 240/480 in games of those resolutions
* Fixed potential crash on fadeout with DX5 Nearest Neighbour filters
* Fixed object positions getting messed up when importing a hi-res game from AGS 2.72
* Fixed editor not allowing you to rename a script to a different capitalization of the same name
* Fixed editor crash if you tried to rename a script file to contain  or :

Get it from the Download page!

ALPHATT

I was look forward to this.

Thank you.
D/Ling now. :)
/sig

Ghost

Hug time!!! There's some neat stuff in the new version, thanks CJ!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I know this isn't a high priority, but could you edit your installer package so it gives the option to view the changes.txt file when installation is complete?  :)

Nickydude

Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

Rocco

thanks im looking forward to start a bigger project with this version.  :)
but i had a little problem with the verbcoin GUI.
Dont know if its my fault, but i the Verbcoin GUI doesnt appear on leftclicks.
i changed nothing, only compiled the empty verbcoin template game.

magintz

Nice one Chris, you seem to have been a busy bee.

Quote* Added inventory item CursorImage property to allow you to set a different image for the mouse cursor to the inventory window

:D Yay
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Dualnames

Quote from: magintz on Thu 05/02/2009 00:14:19
Nice one Chris, you seem to have been a busy bee.

Quote* Added inventory item CursorImage property to allow you to set a different image for the mouse cursor to the inventory window

:D Yay

Yay, yay. Thanks for that Chris, a real life saver.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Glad you guys are enjoying the new version so far!

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 04/02/2009 05:42:55
I know this isn't a high priority, but could you edit your installer package so it gives the option to view the changes.txt file when installation is complete?  :)

It's possible... but since the changelog is included at the top of this thread and will be linked from the website News page, I'm not sure that there's really any point :P

Quote from: Rocco on Wed 04/02/2009 23:14:35

I tried out the verb coin template and it seemed fine. The GUI only appears when you click on something, are you sure you were actually clicking on a hotspot/object/character?

Matti

I'd like to have the possibility to set the delay and image flip with a right-click on the sprite or something similar (back) instead of having to do it via the view's panel. Like it was in the version 2.71 as far as I remember. If you have to flip a whole loop it gets a bit annoying the way it is now..

Khris

Select a frame and press 'f' to flip it.

Matti

Oops, thanks for the info.

But a shortcut for the delay would be nice too. Perhaps pressing "d" and an input box openes or something similar..

But well, I know it's a minor issue...

Rocco

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 05/02/2009 18:24:10
Quote from: Rocco on Wed 04/02/2009 23:14:35

I tried out the verb coin template and it seemed fine. The GUI only appears when you click on something, are you sure you were actually clicking on a hotspot/object/character?

yes, but nothing happens on leftklick regardless if there is a hotspot or not, the only menu which appears is the inventory menu,
but not the actual VC(look, use, say) menu.
here is the untouched compiled.exe - http://www.file-upload.net/download-1433466/Compiled_.zip.html

Pumaman

Quote from: matti on Thu 05/02/2009 19:05:25
I'd like to have the possibility to set the delay and image flip with a right-click on the sprite or something similar (back) instead of having to do it via the view's panel. Like it was in the version 2.71 as far as I remember. If you have to flip a whole loop it gets a bit annoying the way it is now..

Please post things like this in the Wishlist thread. I'd like to keep this thread clean to feedback and issues relating to the 3.1.2 release.

Quote from: Rocco on Thu 05/02/2009 21:34:34
yes, but nothing happens on leftklick regardless if there is a hotspot or not, the only menu which appears is the inventory menu,
here is the untouched compiled.exe - http://www.file-upload.net/download-1433466/Compiled_.zip.html

I downloaded and ran that EXE, and left-clicking on the skull, Games Factory or AGS Logo all worked and brought up the verb coin GUI fine. Are you sure you're holding the mouse button down for long enough?

Pumaman

Ok, a quite serious bug was found in 3.1.1, where option-off-forever didn't work in dialogs.

Therefore, I have updated 3.1.2 to include the latest build of the editor, which includes a fix for this plus a couple of other things. The new version is 3.1.2.79, so if you downloaded it before now and have an earlier version then please download it from the new link and make sure everything still works.

Rocco

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 05/02/2009 21:42:46
Quote from: Rocco on Thu 05/02/2009 21:34:34

I downloaded and ran that EXE, and left-clicking on the skull, Games Factory or AGS Logo all worked and brought up the verb coin GUI fine. Are you sure you're holding the mouse button down for long enough?

Big  thx, your right i didnt holding down long enough, sorry for the unrelated question.  :-[
Maybe i can find a way to speed that up a little bit.

mikosworld

Thanks for the release :)

Little suggest:
Think to create a resource manager (sounds, videos, vox ...) as the "Media Manager" plugin ...

rvampire

I think I found a bug. Anamorphic Theora video doesn't play in correct aspect ratio anymore. Worked correctly on 3.1.1. Does not matter if you play with DX5 or DX9, windowed or full screen. I didn't test with filters as the game resolution would have been too high for my screen (doubling 1024x768 gets pretty big    ;D )

Pumaman

Quote from: mikosworld on Fri 06/02/2009 00:14:56
Think to create a resource manager (sounds, videos, vox ...) as the "Media Manager" plugin ...

I'm not really sure what you're asking ... are you asking for the Media Manager to be built into AGS itself?

QuoteI think I found a bug. Anamorphic Theora video doesn't play in correct aspect ratio anymore. Worked correctly on 3.1.1. Does not matter if you play with DX5 or DX9, windowed or full screen. I didn't test with filters as the game resolution would have been too high for my screen (doubling 1024x768 gets pretty big )

What resolution is the video? What are you passing as the FLAGS parameter to PlayVideo?
I tried playing a 320x120 video in a 640x480 game and it seemed to stretch to the correct aspect ratio.
What exactly is happening? Could you post a screenshot?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk