AGS 3.1.2 SP1 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Tue 03/02/2009 20:07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Knoodn

just a minor bug:

when i press in game [CTRL]+[V] to bring up the version gui. the game isn't comlpete paused. when i move the mouse around and there is an other gui in the backround, the mouse over button is still active. also my statusline text changes when i move the mouse.
it isn't that problem, but this wasn't there in 2.72.

and an other thing:

the media manager plugin doesn't work for me. there are no soundfiles listed. and when i try to import manually this is shown:

Error: Der Index lag außerhalb des Bereichs. Er muss nicht negativ und kleiner als die Auflistung sein.
Parametername: index
Version: AGS 3.1.2.80

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Der Index lag außerhalb des Bereichs. Er muss nicht negativ und kleiner als die Auflistung sein.
Parametername: index
   bei System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   bei System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
   bei MediaManager.Audio.Pane.AddFileToGameFolder(String path, String type)
   bei MediaManager.Audio.Pane.Toolbar_AddToFolder(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

there were no problems with media manager in 3.1.1

Pumaman

QuoteIt's being run alright. (it's in an on_click of a hotspot, all the other actions run just fine)

Would you be able to upload something that demonstrates this problem? I can't reproduce any problems with StopMusic.

QuoteThe display message gets shown, but the gui does NOT pop up!

The Display() command does not necessarily run any game loops, so anything else that changes on the screen may not get rendered until after the Display() has finished.

The easy workaround is to put a Wait(1) after turning the GUI on, but before the Display().

Quotewhen i press in game [CTRL]+[V] to bring up the version gui. the game isn't comlpete paused. when i move the mouse around and there is an other gui in the backround, the mouse over button is still active. also my statusline text changes when i move the mouse.

Yes, this is something that changed behaviour in AGS 3.0 as a result of compatibility changes to support Direct3D.

Quotethe media manager plugin doesn't work for me. there are no soundfiles listed. and when i try to import manually this is shown:

It's probably best to post this in the Media Manager thread to make sure Smiley sees it.

AdamM

Every time I save and quit the editor, and then open it again, all my inventory items HotspotX and HotspotY have been reset to 0, 0. I know of no reason why this should be.

rbaleksandar

^^ Thanks. I have a question though. Is there still no support of Cyrillic?
I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

Electroshokker

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 11/02/2009 23:33:40
QuoteIt's being run alright. (it's in an on_click of a hotspot, all the other actions run just fine)

Would you be able to upload something that demonstrates this problem? I can't reproduce any problems with StopMusic.

Actually, I figured it out. Stopmusic is working fine, I discovered a crossfading issue (it did stop but much later)

Nevermind.  ::)

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 11/02/2009 23:33:40
QuoteThe display message gets shown, but the gui does NOT pop up!

The Display() command does not necessarily run any game loops, so anything else that changes on the screen may not get rendered until after the Display() has finished.

The easy workaround is to put a Wait(1) after turning the GUI on, but before the Display().

Actually, I tried that, but it doesn't change anything for me. The guis still won't pop up.

EDIT: I've found a workaround, by manually counting a few cycles in the rep_execute script of the room before calling the display code.

Goldenrod111

Very nice! I have found one small problem, though. In the ASCII code table in the documentation, one of the lines is:
QuoteeKeyQuestionMark      !            33

Knoodn

when i press in game [CTRL]+[V] to bring up the version gui. the game isn't comlpete paused. when i move the mouse around and there is an other gui in the backround, the mouse over button is still active. also my statusline text changes when i move the mouse.

Yes, this is something that changed behaviour in AGS 3.0 as a result of compatibility changes to support Direct3D.

good to know.

QuoteIt's probably best to post this in the Media Manager thread to make sure Smiley sees it.

thanks.

Pumaman

QuoteEvery time I save and quit the editor, and then open it again, all my inventory items HotspotX and HotspotY have been reset to 0, 0. I know of no reason why this should be.

Well spotted, thanks for reporting this. It looks like this was introduced in 3.1.2 beta 1 and has lain there undetected the whole time.

Because this bug involves data loss, I have uploaded an emergency fix release of 3.1.2 (version 3.1.2.81). If you have already downloaded 3.1.2, please use the Check For Updates option to find out if you need to download it again now from the download page.

QuoteIs there still no support of Cyrillic?

AGS currently supports 256-character fonts. There has not been much request for Unicode support as of yet.

QuoteActually, I tried that, but it doesn't change anything for me. The guis still won't pop up.

EDIT: I've found a workaround, by manually counting a few cycles in the rep_execute script of the room before calling the display code

If you want to upload something for me to take a look at, I'll be happy to do so. The most likely cause is some script somewhere else turning it back off.

QuoteVery nice! I have found one small problem, though. In the ASCII code table in the documentation, one of the lines is:
eKeyQuestionMark      !            33

Hehe well spotted, I'll fix that. It only affects the docs though, the actual eKeyQuestionMark enum value should work fine in the script.

Dualnames

Don't know if this is fixed or anything so it is ignore me.

Yesterday, I was trying to fix a bug and running through the step into I noticed a strange behaviour that was of course causing the bug.

I have this code:
Code: ags

function on_event(...{
if (event==LoseInventory) {
//functions 2
}
if ((event==eEventBeforeRoomFadeIn) && (data==35)) {
//functions 1
}
}

Thing is when I was losing a certain item (very high number) and checked to see what was the engine processing, it was running functions one. And I'm losing that item, after the room fade in has run. I just open the inventory and drop it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Can you upload something that demonstrates the problem?

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 18/02/2009 18:12:53
Can you upload something that demonstrates the problem?

Yep, but I would be surprised if you could get it to work. Want me to try and recreate this on another game?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

I can't reproduce the problem. Can you paste the exact contents of the on_event function here, so we can check if you've got any misplaced brackets or anything like that?

Pumaman

Ok, so a few issues were found with 3.1.2.

I have now uploaded a Service Pack 1 release to address these (available in the first post).

Please give this a try, and if no issues are found I'll make this the version on the website.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 20/02/2009 18:14:35
I can't reproduce the problem. Can you paste the exact contents of the on_event function here, so we can check if you've got any misplaced brackets or anything like that?

It's misplaced brackets... It's just that well, I just came to notice I'm terribly stupid. Can't believe it was..damn me. Sorry again.

Pumaman

Just a quick check before I put it on the website -- is anyone using SP1 and have you had any problems with it?

DoorKnobHandle

Just something I'm not 100% sure with. I'm writing a plugin and the following two lines used to work perfectly fine with the latest 3.1.1 versions but now crashes the engine with 3.1.2 SP 1:

BITMAP *texture = engine->GetSpriteGraphic ( 1 );
unsigned short **shortbuffer = ( unsigned short** ) engine->GetRawBitmapSurface ( texture );

More precisely, the second line there crashes the engine. I try it out in a 16-bit testgame which has a normal placeholder sprite imported in slot 1 (imported at 16-bit as well). Since the same thing worked on the older version of AGS is it possible that some fix or whatever broke this?

I'm not sure all the way because I also updated my compiler from Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 to 9.0.

And this is the crash information:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004453C5 ; program pointer is -23, ACI version 3.12.1074, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Pumaman

Can you upload the plugin DLL that causes the crash, along with a script command to trigger it?

DoorKnobHandle

Oh, damn, I just figured the problem out. I had uploaded the DLL and was preparing to post and tell you that you don't need to call any command in order to get the crash because the plugin calls the two problematic lines itself on AGS_EngineStartup and then it came to me... Sorry.

Dualnames

Surprised to say it but I almost lost all my work on HHGTG yesterday. I actually did lose a great part of it. The sprites at least. I've saved the error message and the image I took HERE

As I was saving the game, waiting for the message game saved to appear so I can test it, suddenly this appeared. I sort of saved then, but thought it was nothing. So I run the game with debugger and a message sprite 185 missing appeared and the game crashed. Then the editor crashed. Then I couldn't open the game. I checked the files inside and acspr file had become a 522 mb thing. Normally it was around 8 mb. Deleting I opened the game and blip. All sprites were gone.

Pumaman

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 04/03/2009 08:08:51
Surprised to say it but I almost lost all my work on HHGTG yesterday. I actually did lose a great part of it. The sprites at least. I've saved the error message and the image I took HERE

As I was saving the game, waiting for the message game saved to appear so I can test it, suddenly this appeared. I sort of saved then, but thought it was nothing. So I run the game with debugger and a message sprite 185 missing appeared and the game crashed. Then the editor crashed. Then I couldn't open the game. I checked the files inside and acspr file had become a 522 mb thing. Normally it was around 8 mb. Deleting I opened the game and blip. All sprites were gone.

Was the backup sprite file still there? If you get an Unhandled Error message in the editor, you should always immediately exit the editor and restart it, and not try to continue as things might get messed up further.

Do you remember what the last change you made to the script was before this error occurred? Do you have a copy of that script that you might be able to use to reproduce the problem?

And of course, I strongly recommend you enable the Backup Reminders in the editor preferences dialog so that you always make regular backups of your games.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk