AGS 3.1.2 SP1 now released!

Started by Pumaman, Tue 03/02/2009 20:07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgefield

Excellent release, haven't encountered any problems so far. And the FadingObjectNonBlocking module works again, which makes me very happy! :) There was a problem with the way it handled alpha-blended sprites in 3.1, but it seems to work swimmingly now. Keep up the good work!

Dualnames

No trouble done CJ, and I have those reminders because I tend to forget. It's just that I save the backup once per day. The backup sprite file was there but outdated. I don't recall what I was doing exactly, funny, because I thought I should note that down in case you ask me..I hope I remember it. The last change had something to do with uncommenting a line, but buggers, I can't be sure.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

Quote from: largopredator on Thu 05/03/2009 21:00:37
Excellent release, haven't encountered any problems so far. And the FadingObjectNonBlocking module works again, which makes me very happy! :) There was a problem with the way it handled alpha-blended sprites in 3.1, but it seems to work swimmingly now. Keep up the good work!

Good good, glad it's working for you :)

QuoteNo trouble done CJ, and I have those reminders because I tend to forget. It's just that I save the backup once per day. The backup sprite file was there but outdated. I don't recall what I was doing exactly, funny, because I thought I should note that down in case you ask me..I hope I remember it. The last change had something to do with uncommenting a line, but buggers, I can't be sure.

Ok -- the root cause of your crash was some sort of scripting error that the compiler couldn't handle and it crashed instead, so if anything like it happens again I'd really appreciate it if you could post the script that caused the problem so that I can fix the compiler.

Dualnames

QuoteNo trouble done CJ, and I have those reminders because I tend to forget. It's just that I save the backup once per day. The backup sprite file was there but outdated. I don't recall what I was doing exactly, funny, because I thought I should note that down in case you ask me..I hope I remember it. The last change had something to do with uncommenting a line, but buggers, I can't be sure.

Ok -- the root cause of your crash was some sort of scripting error that the compiler couldn't handle and it crashed instead, so if anything like it happens again I'd really appreciate it if you could post the script that caused the problem so that I can fix the compiler.

[/quote]

I'll make sure next time I keep track of everything when an error message appears.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

Well, I'm working on a game(how peculiar), and well, I get no error messages, but for a reason I get those tmp files on my compiled folder, however I do note AGS doesn't show me any error messages. I'm sending you the complete game files by PM(hope it's okay).

Pumaman

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 16/03/2009 08:00:31
Well, I'm working on a game(how peculiar), and well, I get no error messages, but for a reason I get those tmp files on my compiled folder, however I do note AGS doesn't show me any error messages. I'm sending you the complete game files by PM(hope it's okay).

Looks like you've got a virus/spyware to me.

Stra

I'm not sure where to post this and haven't been around the forum in a while, but are there any news regarding "BB557 (Feat): Anti-alias TTF fonts with LucasArts-style speech"?

www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/tracker.php?action=detail&id=557

I understand this was omitted due to technical reasons ...

www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19340.msg310513#msg310513

... but I was wondering if it has been implemented yet. (The bug tracker seems a bit outdated and uninformative as to the implementations of various features.)

Thanks.

Pumaman

No, the same technical issues still remain due to the way that text captions are rendered. It might be possible to enable something like this in Direct3D-only mode, depending on how many people would find it useful.

GarageGothic

Perhaps an easier - and non-Direct3D exclusive - implementation could be something similar to what I suggested for outlined fonts in this thread. In most cases it's wise to use outlines for Lucas-style dialog anyway, and at least this way it could look somewhat smoother.

Example image for those who can't be arsed to check my old post:

Above: Custom rendering of text as graphical overlay. Aliased outline with anti-aliased inner text.
Below: Text on regular GUI label. Note especially the 'a' and the 's' as less readable.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 16/03/2009 19:19:32
Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 16/03/2009 08:00:31

Looks like you've got a virus/spyware to me.

Great just f^*(^% great..

Stra

GarageGothic: you present an interesting method, well worth trying. Thanks! This could be implemented in AGS as a poor-man's anti-alias. ;)

I'm definitely all for a "Direct3D-only mode" anti-aliasing method if that will make it work, as I think it would definitively add another level of professionalism.

Well I hope Chris Jones will implement one of these two methods, or perhaps both, I'm a bit tired of having to search for fonts that look decent enough in their "default ugly mode", hehe. ;D

What does Pumaman say about the first alternative? :)

Pumaman

Adding support for anti-aliasing the fonts only when outlining is enabled, is certainly a possibility.

Stra

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 19/03/2009 19:36:09
Adding support for anti-aliasing the fonts only when outlining is enabled, is certainly a possibility.

Oh, if you could include that in the next version (or one of the next versions), you'd make some of us very happy indeed! :D

subspark

BUG: If you drag sprites out of order, they double up on each other. It is possible to restore the sprite index back to normal if the sprites are dragged into order again. If done so, the duplicates disappear.

Cheers,
Sparx.

Pumaman

Quote from: subspark on Mon 23/03/2009 07:10:03
BUG: If you drag sprites out of order, they double up on each other. It is possible to restore the sprite index back to normal if the sprites are dragged into order again. If done so, the duplicates disappear.

What do you mean by this? I don't get any problems dragging sprites around in the sprite manager.

Can you provide some step-by-step instructions that lead to this problem?

subspark

Sorry mate, I assumed there wasn't anything else I did that might have caused this bug. What I did from memory was I imported 1 sprite, deleted it, then imported a whole group of sprites and rearranged them. My gut feeling was it had something to do with deleting the first sprite but I can't be sure until you've replicated the bug.

Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck!

Sparx.

Pumaman

Ah interesting, this seems to happen if you drag a sprite to the end of the list. I'll look into it -- thanks for reporting it.

subspark

No problem Chris, cheers!

Sparx.

SSH

I noticed that if you do F1 on System.ColorDepth you get a page not found in the help ... although you can find that entry manually...

subspark

I've actually had a few bugs like that.

What I hate is that I can't find any of the code for the room functions. It's just descriptions.

Sparky.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk