Eric the Anteater

Started by Anteater, Fri 13/02/2009 04:12:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Anteater

Introduction:
Eric the Anteater is a point and click adventure game (who would have guessed?) set in a surreal fantasy/sci-fi world. It features over 100 rooms and lots of puzzles.

Screen shots:

Story:
Eric is just a typical punk rocker/surfer dude/hippie who happens to have an alien spacecraft crash land right in front of him. What starts off as a close encounter becomes a lot more as Eric must transcend time and space,  attempt to rescue not one but two damsels in distress, and contend with an evil insect as he fights to save the universe...

Features:

• Tons of areas to explore, over 100 screens
  • 800x600x32 graphics
  • Seamless FMV
  • BASS-style interface
  • First- and third-person segments
  • Multible endings

Distribution:
Eric the Anteater is shareware, but don't worry, the only thing the unregistered version has is nag screens and such. The game is fully playable; practically donationware.
The price to register the game is $5.00 USD, through Paypal.
Note: This is my first shareware game. As such, I'm not terribly
familiar with setting up payment options, etc. If you have problems
registering, PLEASE contact me so that I can straighten things out.
Thank you.

Link
http://www.decapgames.webs.com

One last thing
This is version 1.0. There may be bugs and such. For those who register version 1.0,
future versions will be registered for them as well, so long as the updated version
is unzipped in the same folder as the older version. Also, if you have any
suggestions regarding extra features, bug reports, etc., be sure to mention
them. I am always interested in improving my product.

Leon

I'll give it a try.

Maybe useful for others:
- I could only download it by copying the link to the address bar (Firefox). Maybe me, maybe not.
- The download size is 104 Mb.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Gilbert

Quote from: Leon on Fri 13/02/2009 07:37:59
- I could only download it by copying the link to the address bar (Firefox). Maybe me, maybe not.

Well the page just reloads when I clicked it in Opera or IE6, "right click -> save as" works though.

Anteater

Ah, yes I see. Let me see if I can fix the issue with the link. Sorry about that.

Edit: I believe I fixed it.

Dualnames

Glad to know you finished that..Great downloading and will give it a try...
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

MoodyBlues

This looks bizarre enough to be awesome.  I'll give it a go.
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

neoen

Bizzare but interesting :-)

I have two problems:
1) I do no know password to pod and I am not sure where can I find it?
2) I am not sure how to setup firing machine. I tried it several times with different settings, but with no success. But when I returned back and tried to fire without changing settings, it works (maybe bug?). Could you please explain how to setup this machine?

Anteater

Quote from: neoen on Sat 14/02/2009 18:07:42
I have two problems:
1) I do no know password to pod and I am not sure where can I find it?
2) I am not sure how to setup firing machine. I tried it several times with different settings, but with no success. But when I returned back and tried to fire without changing settings, it works (maybe bug?). Could you please explain how to setup this machine?
1) Assuming you have the username
Spoiler
(Doomy clearly states it early on in the game), then the password is written on the pipe above Eric in the pod.
[close]
Even more obviously,
Spoiler
MURDER.
[close]
2)
Spoiler
The firing machine in the space station? Ordinarily, you'd select the small platform that's floating by itself, as noted in the map gotten off of John Boy's dead body. Otherwise, it may in fact be a bug. I'll check this out.
[close]
If #2 is in fact a bug I'll fix it and upload a new version shortly.

neoen

Oh, thank you for your help.

Ad 1) I supposed well what could be a password, but I did not notice, that username should be used first. I thought that only password is needed.

Ad 2) I tried it several times now and it looks OK. It was probably coincidence and I set up machine exactly where it should be without knowing it.

Great game, looking forward to ending...

Anteater

Thank you for the positive comments! By the way, there are three different endings, with the best one being somewhat difficult to attain.

neoen

OK, I found 2 endings, could you please tell me the third one?  ;)
Spoiler
1) Using Walker - Carla died
2) Shoot at Shrink Ray - married Carla
[close]
Anyway, looking forward to your next project. It was interesting game, cool simple music and atmosphere. But I think it is not worth 5 bucks. There are many small things to improve, but this game is very good starting point.

Anteater

Thank you for playing the game; I'm glad you liked the atmosphere.
OK, I found 2 endings, could you please tell me the third one?  ;)
Spoiler
1) Using Walker - Carla died
2) Shoot at Shrink Ray - married Carla
[close]
The third ending, which is the neutral ending, 
Spoiler
ends without Eric marrying Carla, but doesn't have her die, either. The player gets this ending if s/he doesn't give Carla her jewel/beer/paper back before leaving her space ship for the first time.
[close]
But I think it is not worth 5 bucks. There are many small things to improve, but this game is very good starting point.
Well, hopefully the sequel will be better, then.  ;D

Sallow

I don't understand the point of selling a game if the free version is the same as the paid for version, minus pop-ups? I'm sorry, I read your description and I don't really understand what exactly you mean by shareware.
 click to help them grow

Anteater

Quote from: Sallow on Tue 17/02/2009 04:59:46
I don't understand the point of selling a game if the free version is the same as the paid for version, minus pop-ups? I'm sorry, I read your description and I don't really understand what exactly you mean by shareware.
Several shareware programs are distributed in this manner. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagware.

Jakerpot

the style remind me of Twinsey`s Odyssey (Top 5 best adventure games ever).

Anteater

Well, it's been a week and nobody has registered. I'm now releasing it as a freeware game.
The link on my site will be down until the registered version is uploaded.
Edit: Okay, it's done. Eric is now a freeware game.

taxi

Quote from: Anteater on Wed 18/02/2009 16:35:42
Well, it's been a week and nobody has registered. I'm now releasing it as a freeware game.
The link on my site will be down until the registered version is uploaded.
Edit: Okay, it's done. Eric is now a freeware game.

Will there be a walk through?

Leon

Of course there will be... working on it... ;-)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Ghost

Quote from: Anteater on Wed 18/02/2009 16:35:42
Eric is now a freeware game.

A good decision IMO. It's your first game, after all, and I think you'll get some additional downloads now- and later, those who know your name and connect it to a (rather good) first game will possibly be more inclined to cough up some money should you go and make a commercial one*.
Congratulations btw, I just finished the game, and it really was a nice trip!

*Worked a threat for Bestowers of Eternity as far as I know.

Anteater

Thanks for the comments. I've patched the game a bit; there are a few bugfixes (including fixing a few missing animations), as well as a brief non-interactive vignette about one of the characters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk