What Goes Around - (help wanted, paid)

Started by Sparkplug.Creations, Thu 10/09/2009 21:58:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkplug.Creations

What Goes Around
This is a ONE screen game where the player attacks a strange alien like object with their Predator Hellfire missile but then it disappears. The missile loops from right edge to left edge and the player can't do anything but avoid it for as long as possible. That gets difficult as time passes since the missiles' path becomes more erratic and harder to predict.

The game sacrifices traditional gameplay structures to communicate a specific message, which is, "What Goes Around, Comes Around." It is based on a anti-war campaign by the Global Coalition for Peace, designed by the ad firm Big Ant International.

Example images:
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2009/what-goes-around-comes-around/

Upon seeing the second image of the fighter jet firing the missiles and then upon wrapping the poster around a pole, those same missiles end up on the tail end of the fighter jet, I knew I could make a game that communicated the same message just as well. I decided to take on the challenge and I am happy to report my progress.

Progress
- graphics collected or made (80%)
- graphics implemented (50%)
- puzzles N/A
- scripting 80%
- music/sound 0%

Todo Tasks
- implement images of civilians caught in war scrolling in top bar
- implement quotes of war scrolling in bottom bar
- create and implement main menu text and scripting
- create and implement help text/UI images of how controls work
- find free sounds and implement them

Contract Work
I am looking for an animator who can create an explosion for when the missile collides with the players' Predator drone. Please email me, info [at] sparkplugcreations [dot] org. I am able to pay and provide a contract Work Order that we both sign. If interested, please provide samples of prior work.

I'd be happy to hear your feedback, criticism and questions.

Thanks,

-Reid
Reid Kimball - Game Designer

Matti

Quote from: Sparkplug.Creations on Thu 10/09/2009 21:58:33
Example images:
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2009/what-goes-around-comes-around/

Somehow the site won't load, but I know that anti-war campaign and I think the posters are really cool.

I am looking for an animator who can create an explosion for when the missile collides with the players' Predator drone.

Ha, that's a task I have to work on for my own game. Since it's not easy I use placeholders for now..

Please email me, info [at] sparkplugcreations [dot] org. I am able to pay and provide a contract Work Order that we both sign. If interested, please provide samples of prior work.

Whoa.. so much trouble for ONE explosion?

Well, could be fun. Seems to be simple and rather monotone, but if the missiles behavior is well made I could imagine that it's going to be addictive.

Sparkplug.Creations

Hi Matt,

Glad you also like the posters.

I guess I'll use placeholders for now as well, but I'd rather be concentrating on other parts of the game.

It may seem like a lot of "trouble" for one animation, but I find most artists want a Work Order contract made up. It helps define expectations by both myself and the artist so there's no confusion.

Haha, re: addictiveness of the game. I can see that it could get that way, but I honestly don't want it to be addictive. It's a game with a message to communicate. I want people to get that message, turn off the game and talk to other people about the futility of war. How it's a cycle that always seems to come back and haunt people and nations later.

-Reid
Reid Kimball - Game Designer

Matti

Quote from: Sparkplug.Creations on Fri 11/09/2009 19:39:07
I want people to get that message, turn off the game and talk to other people about the futility of war. How it's a cycle that always seems to come back and haunt people and nations later.

Ah, okay. Well, I don't need a game to do that but I appreciate your effort and the purpose of your game then..

Khris

Better add that second in-game screenshot before Darth discovers this... ;)

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Khris on Fri 11/09/2009 23:20:20Better add that second in-game screenshot before Darth discovers this... ;)

Haha I discovered it already but ...

Quote from: Sparkplug.Creations on Thu 10/09/2009 21:58:33This is a ONE screen game where the player attacks a strange alien like object with their Predator Hellfire missile but then it disappears.

So I'm lettin' it slide since there is another shot (albeit not "in-game") ... but I wouldn't mind (and I think others wouldn't either) perhaps another shot of the same screen.  Or maybe some samples of animation(s) :)

Interesting idea for a game.  It's like Asteroids meets 2010.

m0ds

Good luck!

A simple way to make a decent explosion, check out detonationfilms.com for chroma key and free black background explosions. Using something like Animation Shop to open the AVI file, modify if necessary & and resave as a GIF and import into AGS. Simples!

Nikolas

Game released and posted over here.

Darth do your magic, please! ;)

Darth Mandarb

** Waves wand **

Congrats on finishing!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk