An update on graphics

Started by Renegade Implementor, Mon 02/03/2009 04:06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Implementor

As the death of our previous forum killed the last progress report, here it is again:

Work is continuing on the newer Krysis-style of backgrounds and characters.  There are a number of characters (which can be seen here) that are considered ready enough to start the animation process.

Eleri

As a complete n00b with a desire to create strangeness in the RoN universe, this makes me a Very Happy Eleri

DeviantGent

If anyone fancies taking a pop at giving any of these characters a walk/talk cycle, then feel free to dive right in.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

GreenBoy

I wouldnt mind having a wee crack at making some animations.  What I was wondering thou, is there any particular conventions that should be followed?  For example is there a certain amount of frames that you would like to see in a walk cycle?  What about talking animations is it to be lip sync or general animation?

It may be a good idea to call which characters we are going to animate, so that there isnt to many people all making Davy Jones as the same time.

DeviantGent

No real conventions or limits. I think the hope is that with several walking/talking animations done, that will then create a template that can be then applied to the other characters. I would say just go with what looks good and can transfer to others.

Announcing which characters might be a good idea though.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

GreenBoy

Ok well I'm calling Bill Cosby then.  I do have a question regarding him.  I havent played much RON unfortunatly.  Is he dead?  Should he walk normally or Zombiefied?

DeviantGent

The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Dualnames

I'd definitely love to try and make some characters that people would want to use.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DeviantGent

Awesome. I recommend taking a crack at a couple of the most used ones - Davy Jones, Max Griff, Mika etc. If we can get a few of these with a good solid walk/talk cycle, then we'll have a template which we can use for getting the others done in doublequicktime.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

GreenBoy

Ok Ive done some walkcycles for Bill Cosby. (Incedently now Ive played some RON I wish I had chosen a more usefull character.)

Anyway heres a teaser

Ive done up and down as well.  What would be the best format to save it as?  Does it need to be indexed or left RGB?  Would it be best to save each image individually or in one big file?

Sorry about all the questions I have noticed that my way isnt always the way people more familiar with AGS do things thou.

Oh and the sideways animation needed another colour to look right.

lostbuthappy

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Mon 02/03/2009 04:06:17
As the death of our previous forum killed the last progress report, here it is again:

Work is continuing on the newer Krysis-style of backgrounds and characters.  There are a number of characters (which can be seen here) that are considered ready enough to start the animation process.
Could anybody tell me which of the characters is Phil Nihilist? I was thinking about refining the original version but if he's already done, there's obviously no point in doing so.

Another thing that struck my mind recently is whether the new Ron graphics should be made for 320x200/240 or 640x400/480. (On some hardware(?)) Windows (Vista(?)) doesn't support 320xN anymore (although Linux still does), and with AGS 3.1 the option to double the intended resolution is gone. But yet all available ressources - including the new character sprites you posted - have been made for a resolution of 320x200/240.

I don't think that is a good idea since it encourages newbies (like myself) to use everything "as is" and then create a game that has major compatibility issues.
A simple solution could be to just resize everything by a factor of 2. This would keep ye olde dos charme and assure compatibility for the next few years (hopefully). I bet this has already been discussed at length, but since the old forum's dead I decided to mention it.
Disclamer: When I say I'm an artist I usually just mean that I can selectively apply filters to an image until it looks like a blurry version of Uranus.

Hudders

The majority of side views in that image bother me. They're all a bit too straight and narrow. The fronts and backs are excellent though.

I don't know which one's Phil. Look for someone with one eye bigger than the other.

EDIT: I took a crack at the Michael Gower walkcycle. It isn't fantastic. Obviously he'd need a separate walkcycle for walking left, (grr how dare he be asymmetrical!).

I don't know where that black line has come from. Something to do with scaling I think.

Renegade Implementor

They're much better than the first pass, believe me.  No, they're not perfect and there things that still bug me, but they're at least presentable.

I suppose now's a good as time to make an open call: If anyone is willing and wants to improve/adjust these then please feel free.  If people want incentives, we can offer to name a major landmark (a new location or something nameless like the Park) after the artist(s) in question.  It's either that or internet cake, your choice.  :)

The only version of Phil is in the second row, third from the left in his Llama-man costume.  I can dig up the first draft sprites but they're very crude.

JudgeDeadd

Holy cow, only now I noticed Sam Salmon is in there. Boy did that game suck. :P
You know what they say... no... wait... you don't. What a shame.

Renegade Implementor

I've updated the ready for animation sheet, (which can be seen here) to include character names.

I'm also putting up the rest of the cast who are stuck in 1st draft status.  These characters, which can be seen here, need improvements before they can be ready for animating.

If anyone wants to take a crack at animating a character for the 1st group, or improve a character from the 2nd batch, please feel free.  Just say which character you're working on so people know the character is being handled.

Irishrichy

I'm currently working on an animation for Richy, which could be quite easily used as the basis for other characters.

LocutusofBored

I like this new uniform way of making the sprites. A few years ago I made some of them in Poser and tried to make some backgrounds in a 3d drawing program, but after a computer crash, I lost most of them. I'd like to try animating Davy, he was my favorite character. After that, I'd like to try animating Max.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The Punk Allen I made earlier fits more or less within the dimensions of Krysis' sprites and is already fully animated.  You're welcome to use him if you like :).  He's rather lonely on my hard drive with no one to bash on.

He doesn't have an idle animation for the other directions but that would be easy to fix.  Also, as I've said before, any character I redesign I would be willing to make additional animations for upon request to maintain consistency.

DeviantGent

Bumping this topic for great justice. For those who have recently begun making a RON game, don't forget that these are here and just waiting to be used.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Scruff

Here's a few very basic ones I managed to do today, mostly just talking

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk