Sprite Jam - Ended

Started by loominous, Sat 14/03/2009 11:58:01

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

THE SIDEKICK
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ever wished that Lucasarts had given Guybrush a schizophrenic parrot sidekick?

Well, now's your chance to fix these design blunders!

Find a screenshot and improve history!

~~~~

Guidelines:

Adhere to the resolution and palette of the game in question.

The screenshot can be from any adventure game, commercial or not.
If it's fairly unknown, please name the game in the post.

Feel free to add dialog to establish their relationship.

~~~~

Good luck!

Edit: Extended it one day, to include the weekend.
Looking for a writer

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

When I think of a game character that needed help more than anything, the only logical answer is Graham of the infamously sadistic King's Quest series.  But what people don't know is that one of the developers realized during production that perhaps the game was a tad too heavy-handed with consequences and thought that by injecting a comedy sidekick that warns Graham of impending doom, he would make up for the difficulty, and thus Sir Froggington was born.  Below are some images from and unfinished build of the game with Graham's loyal fellow knight offering friendly advice (on every screen).

Layabout

Might as well have just turned him into an owl and called him Cedric... although Cedric did lack foresight...
I am Jean-Pierre.

Yuko Ichihara

In space quest on of the big things in the number of ways to die, so I decided to make it like
fights and so the bat you see is of Rosario + Vampire in the series the bat said the lengths of each fight after their completion...so yah, this is what would happen if the bat was in the space quest series.

Hope you like them
"Normal? What's normal? To only do what the masses do? And what is the benefit of that? Where is the problem in adopting a custom that is 'abnormal' if it has no negative effect on the world at large?" - Yuko Ichihara

thesporkman

In an early, unreleased version of Full Throttle, Ben was accompanied on his journey by an obnoxious little girl holding a perpetually dripping ice cream cone. The character was cut from the final version of the game for reasons unknown.

_____

On an only semi-related note... hey, guys. I used to lurk here quite a bit, but I haven't been to this site in a while. Anyway, I've been looking at past sprite jams, and even though this won't count for anything, the recent "gender bender" sprite jam inspired me to make this "Queen Graham":

Misj'

Quote from: thesporkman on Thu 19/03/2009 08:38:46In an early, unreleased version of Full Throttle, Ben was accompanied on his journey by an obnoxious little girl holding a perpetually dripping ice cream cone. The character was cut from the final version of the game for reasons unknown.
Makes one wonder: why in the world would they cut her from the final version?

zabnat

Quote from: Misj' on Thu 19/03/2009 12:41:52
Quote from: thesporkman on Thu 19/03/2009 08:38:46In an early, unreleased version of Full Throttle, Ben was accompanied on his journey by an obnoxious little girl holding a perpetually dripping ice cream cone. The character was cut from the final version of the game for reasons unknown.
Makes one wonder: why in the world would they cut her from the final version?
Because the dripping ice cream would eventually fill the walkable areas of every background and they figured out that drawing millions of those drippage sprites would cost too much memory. ;)

Ghost

Because the dripping ice cream would eventually fill the walkable areas of every background and they figured out that drawing millions of those drippage sprites would cost too much memory. ;)

Plus, ice cream is cold, so the water would, like, be like snowflakes, and not even LucasArts has the manpower to design such a load of individual sprites. Okay, maybe they have, or have had, but they all ran away claiming to have been called by their sisters.
Thus the term "little sister" was born. Years later, some badass game company made big money out of that.

rharpe

In Prince of Persia, I always "wished" for a Djinn in a lamp to help me get to the princess... what about the rest of you?

Just think of the possibilities if you were to get 3 wishes!
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Buckethead

Doesn't the new prince of persia game has a thing like that?  :P

rharpe

Quote from: Buckethead on Sun 22/03/2009 10:50:42
Doesn't the new prince of persia game has a thing like that?  :P
I don't know if it does or not... the original POP was the one that should have had one! (Just imagine the possibilities... endless I tell you!)
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Kaio

He actually was planned by Lucas Arts, but never made it to the final version of the game....

loominous

Righty then, time to choose the next host.

They all struck me as well thought out and nicely carried out ideas, so more as a formality I choose:

Bog

for his nicely designed and handy addition to Annie Android.
Looking for a writer

SpacePaw

I still love the icecream girl. It's kind of disgusting but why the hell she fits there so good? :P

ThreeOhFour

Nice work, bog, I thought it was great ;)

Kaio

Yeah, nice job everyone  :D

bog

thanks, i'm glad you liked it, Ben

i'm gonna start the next one later today

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk