Tune Contest - "Marry form and passion!" - till April 8th

Started by Nick Dangerous, Wed 25/03/2009 15:10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Dangerous

Sorry for the delay!
The task for the new competition is based on a book I got, "Die Popformeln". It mainly presents some chord-sequences, that are commonly used in modern pop & rock music. They always sound very pleasent (maybe it's because one has heard them so often maybe it's the other way around) and can give you a nice startup and some quick inspiration. Blablabla...

The task:

Take one of these chord-sequences and base a tune upon it!

C-Am-F-G

C-B-F-C

Am-Dm-G-C-F-Dm-E-Am

-you may transpose them
-ýou don't have to play the full chords, you can just imply them
-you don't have to use them the whole track through, but a major part should be basded upon them.
-you may differ the length
BUT: somebody who knows that you used them should be able to recognize the chords.

Bonus Task:

Describe a scene in a game where your tune could be used. I'm not gonna take this description into account when rating the tunes, but I might like your tune better if I can imagine a scene where it plays.

DoorKnobHandle

Hahaha, Die Popformeln, by Volkmer Kramarz! I got the book a few years ago as a present as well and then, last semester, turns out he was my lecturer at University for a semester! ;D

DrewCCU

wow - this is a very open ended topic. it should generate a lot of entries. i'll probably enter a submission.
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

PixelPerfect

I guess I'll get this thing started.

PixelPerfect - When The World Ends

I guess if in a game this would propably have to be a cinematic sequence.
Something along these lines could happen:

build-up
something dear is lost or destroyed
something new is born or survival is a miracle
a different future is here with a longing to things lost

Geratuza

Here's a record of a plain midi-file I've made. It uses the chord-progression C-B-F-C, with a short Gm-A#-F-C-break at 0:50. It's mostly slow, becoming a bit more dynamic at 1:30.
However, it's a stupid, boring tune compared to the awesome piece of PixelPerfect. I'm looking forward to hearing more exquisite music like PP's in this contest.

Funkmast

descriptive link

The Golden Cloud Palace Level III - The king needs your help with building the city structure

kaputtnik

Quote from: Funkmast on Tue 31/03/2009 10:12:24

descriptive link

The Golden Cloud Palace Level III - The king needs your help with building the city structure

You ruined a perfectly fine pop showcase with your ridiculous rompler sounds and your broken drum FX computer, dude!
I, object.

Funkmast

Quote from: kaputtnik on Tue 31/03/2009 21:12:53
Quote from: Funkmast on Tue 31/03/2009 10:12:24

descriptive link

You ruined a perfectly fine pop showcase with your ridiculous rompler sounds and your broken drum FX computer, dude!

I'm sorry, hallucinating schneider. But the metronome on my computer is broken and my rompler got rompled. No, it got rumpled.

Wyz

I tried something new, and I'm quiet happy with the result. :D

Picture this: Its a sunny day and your just sipping coffee on a terrace in front of a café, this is the song that plays.
> Slow Afternoon

cheers  ;D

ps. it is actually a midi-file  :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Nick Dangerous

Okay! I downloaded and listened to and liked all entries so far. Since I'm at a laptop right now, I'm gonna take them home, listen to htem again at my speakers and judge tomorrow.

Nick Dangerous

The winner is PixelPerfect closely followed by Funkmast.

PixelPerfect

Thanks man!   :)
Good work people!
I'll try to start the next one as soon as possible. Probably tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk