This City at Night - RELEASED

Started by paolo, Fri 27/03/2009 10:37:23

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmoQueen

Wow these graphics are excellent! I can't wait to see the finished product!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

paolo

A further update... progress is slow because I can only work on the game from time to time, but a fair number of the animations have now been done.

PuNKKoMmANDO77

good job Paolo and Ben
you two make only fantastic game !! ;D

paolo

@PuNKKoMmANDO77: Thank you for the nice comment!

I got a good chunk of work done over the weekend but there's still a lot to do. Realistically, I don't this game will be seeing the light of day until 2010.

paolo

Quote from: paolo on Thu 22/10/2009 12:53:50
Realistically, I don't this game will be seeing the light of day until 2010.

And indeed that has been the case. As things go, I think a more realistic release date is going to be something like summer 2010, but please don't hold me to that :)

I am still slowly working through what needs to be done on this game. The bottleneck is the drawing, but I downloaded Sketchup just before Christmas and this is great for drawing rooms and objects (not so great for drawing walk cycles, though, but I have other sources of help for these).

I'm going to update the progress in the original posting now.

Timo.

Excellent graphics and the gameplay, storyline and character development sounds good.

Looking forward to the game.
Smile :]

Peter Bear

Not much time for gaming neither creating, but keeping an eye on everything :)

paolo

Quote from: Pierceval on Sat 20/03/2010 08:23:36
WOOOOOOOOOO !

Courage my friend !

Thank you :)

I got a big chunk of work done last week:

* Another character's walk cycle done
* Two rooms drawn and added
* Added a new batch of sound effects
* Scripted most of the boss battle!

There's still tons to do (mainly those pesky laborious walk cycles [sigh]), but there are only two more rooms to draw now. Watch out for further updates!

paolo

Although I haven't updated this thread for some time, I'm still making good progress on this game.

Here are the latest versions of the screenshots from the original posting.

This is very probably how they will appear in the game. I've upped the resolution of the player character (Tracey) to match the background resolution, and as you can see from the first pic, the other characters in the game are now fully-fledged. (The other two characters no longer in the image are in the back office having a conference.)

There's lots more still to do, so I hereby cautiously announce the game's release in autumn/winter 2011.

theo

Looks great! I realize this is no the critics lounge but I find it hard to keep my mouth shut. The 1 px black edges you have around/inside all your objects in the backdrop are not helping you. Why not do the same with them as the outlines on your character? Simply have a darker tone of the current color, that is. It works magic on her and I can see no reason not to do the same on the backdrops.

It will look less "habbo", I promise.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to this!

Peter Bear

this is so good to hear news from your game project !

Indeed, what lays forever is not dead :p

How long do you think it will take to be released ? I am desperate about releasing mine one day :'(

Nice graphics, I like the outilined objets myself, more contrast ... but this is just my sole opinion.

paolo

Quote from: theo on Fri 19/11/2010 08:24:27
Looks great! I realize this is no the critics lounge but I find it hard to keep my mouth shut. The 1 px black edges you have around/inside all your objects in the backdrop are not helping you. Why not do the same with them as the outlines on your character? Simply have a darker tone of the current color, that is. It works magic on her and I can see no reason not to do the same on the backdrops.

It will look less "habbo", I promise.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to this!

Thanks. Interesting suggestion. The backgrounds are for the most part the work of someone else and they are all done except one. Changing them now would be a lot of extra work for me (foreground objects would need to be changed too) at this stage. If that weren't the case then I might have tried that out.

@Piotr - at my current rate of progress, I think there is about another year's work to go, so look out for this in autumn or winter next year.

Thanks guys for your feedback and the encouragement!

markbilly

Black out lines being almost impossible to go back and change was one of the reasons for the big Longevity Gene re-start.

I think it can work for you, though. Especially if the backgrounds are nearly all done. I started again because it was taking ages to draw anything and I stopped liking ho it all looked.

You should add an outline to the main character, though, so it all looks consistent.

paolo

A further update for those following this thread...

I've nearly finished one of the most involved scenes in the game. The next thing will be to add another character's walk cycle so I can develop a couple more scenes. There's still a lot to do though.

paolo

Here it is... the teaser demo for This City at Night!

Play the first few scenes pretty much as they'll be in the final game, apart from some updates to the backgrounds and few other tweaks and extra features.

THIS CITY AT NIGHT - TEASER DEMO by paolo, ThreeOhFour and others. (Follow the link and click on the "Download This File" button.)

Game page

Peter Bear

paolo

Quote from: Piotr OBKINSKI on Mon 11/04/2016 21:12:20
Whooooo ! Hey Paul ;)

Yay, Piotr! I'm excited too! Hope you enjoy the demo.

paolo

A quick update: at the moment I'm "dehabboing" the backgrounds as per Theo's suggestion. They are looking much cleaner and fit in better with the characters.

paolo

And here we are:

Before:

After:

Before: 

After: 

Before: 

After: 

The link to the demo has been fixed.

NickyNyce

Looks fun paolo. I like the changes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk