New AGS Website

Started by Pumaman, Fri 27/03/2009 22:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

straydogstrut

Ooh very purdy! Good job!

FYI the src url of the arrow up and arrow down links on the A-Z list is wrong, creating a broken image. It is src="/Content/images/arrowup.gif" and should be src="../Content/images/arrowup.gif" (two dots in front to point to the right directory)

AGA

Quote from: Insane-Icey on Tue 17/04/2012 18:26:03
Might be too much work but I was wonder, for the forums would it ever be possible to give a member the ability to change the color scheme to what ever they wan't or to like some stock colors? It would also be cool if they could change the banner gif thingy to their games pic. It would give the user a little more customization and it'll be something new and different. I'm mean AGS and the forums it self could benefit from a lot of new things like maybe a FB like button. For some reason a lot of people think it's evil but I see it as a way of advertising your works or in some cases there's those times when you see a post and you don't know how to comment on it or maybe the post is just so old. All you have to do is hit the like button and bam.

Forum themes don't really work like that; you can't just design them on the fly.  Also, people put a lot of time and effort into creating nice designs! We have vague plans to add some more themes eventually, but I don't think it'll ever be as open as you might like.

I'll probably at least update the social media aspects of the site to reflect modern preferences (remove ICQ!).  I'll look at social bookmarking too, assuming it's not too cluttering and annoying.

Icey

I see, but Cool beans dude :)

RickJ

I'll probably at least update the social media aspects of the site to reflect modern preferences (remove ICQ!).  I'll look at social bookmarking too, assuming it's not too cluttering and annoying.
Please reconsider.  I highly value privacy and don't want to have any part of facebook or be anybody's facebook friend.   I don't even want anybody to "Like" me.  I Really believe we would be much better of without it.

[edit]
Ah! Just realized you were talking about the website and not the forum.  Facebook and their ilk are never the less annoying scumm;  the cyber equivalent of STDs that are best to avoid.

AGA

I was actually talking about the forums.  However, if I did this, it would be a small icon that passed you over to Facebook, not integrated login or anything that extreme: no AGS user information would be shared with Facebook.  I'll see what the options are before I even consider it.

Atelier

Call me dumb, how would integrating FB with the forums work? I.e. what happens as a result?

selmiak

It is possible to have these like buttons as only images without any link to the social thingy and with a bit of javascript you can activate them and exchange all the information the user wants to has to give to facebook (twitter/pinterest/g+/etc) to recommend stuff to their friends...
So if the images for the buttons are on the AGS servers there is NO privacy invasion unless the user wants it this way and games can be distributed/promoted/spread via social networks which is how a big part of the internet works today.

and I prefer to see who made a game right from the start and without having to click on an extra link to unfold all contributors to a game. Like it is with the old design. This honors the gamemaker(s) even more. Is there any reason to hide them? Would this be possible?

kconan

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 18/04/2012 15:02:23
and I prefer to see who made a game right from the start and without having to click on an extra link to unfold all contributors to a game.

Yea, this was the only thing I didn't like.  I prefer to see who worked on the game as a default.  Otherwise the new design is awesome!

Ryan Timothy B

But there are some games with like 20 people. I believe that's why it was ever suggested in the first place.

Pumaman

Ok I've made some updates, hopefully most of the character encoding issues should be fixed so let me know of any that are still there.

I've also changed the red colour for team member comments to a more subtle purple and added a link to Add Your Game.

AGA

Psst, would the people debating the Facebook stuff please read what I actually said?  There would be no direct integration: Facebook would have no access to AGS's userbase.  It would (if it happens at all) basically just bounce you to Facebook and let you link to interesting forum posts.

selmiak

even though the games are in 320x200 why not have bigger avatars in the forum? :D

AGA

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 18/04/2012 21:47:37
even though the games are in 320x200 why not have bigger avatars in the forum? :D

Way ahead of you.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: AGA on Wed 18/04/2012 21:24:15
It would (if it happens at all) basically just bounce you to Facebook and let you link to interesting forum posts.

Being able to share interesting threads/posts would be good! :).
I'm all for it!

monkey0506

Peder, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from posting a link to a particular forum post/thread on Facebook, which is all that the requested button/link would be doing anyway.

AGA

But you'd have to copy the URL, and type the topic title and everything.  So 20th century!

OneDollar

Not sure what's going on with the credits for http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Newsite/Games.aspx/Detail/1303/Eternally_Us... Calin seems to be listed twice and it says he's worked on 16 games, listing each twice.

I was also wondering if it would be nicer to have the screenshots under screenshots and features on the AGS page open in an overlay instead opening in new tabs. Might fit better when things like the feature list expands out onto the same page?

Other than that I really like the new site, great work.

Edit: Also sorry if I missed this, but were game lengths, resolutions and websites intentionally removed from the database entries?

Icey

That's not an error. He is listed twice on his profile already for EU.

Also keep going with the FB thing. Forget it about the likes think about the sharing. If someone likes you game then other people can see that that persons likes that game and might even go and at least check out your download page for the game on the new site.

Because if it's about who likes and who doesn't like what then you might a swell remove the rating system. A lot of people could get mad that they might have only 1 cup versus for something they worked hard on versus someone else who may somehow have like 2 or more for a "waste of time".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk