New AGS Website

Started by Pumaman, Fri 27/03/2009 22:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Stee

Same issue here (also firefox)

It looks like its an issue with the font and special characters eg. : ; ' < > [ ]
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Hudders

What version of Firefox? I'm not seeing the issue, using the latest version, (12.0).

Tabata

Hiding the “prob” is more bad in my opinion because if you don't know about it you don't even realize, that there is something wrong  :P

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Tue 24/04/2012 01:39:58
I don't quite understand how it affects you as a person browsing the games page? It's there for those who want to socially advertise their own games or one that they enjoy.

Then they can take to Twitter and point a link to the game in question. Or they can post about it on Facebook. If they care enough about the game in question, then suitable avenues to crow about it are only a url away. If they can't be bothered because there's not a button there to do it for them, then they probably won't lose any sleep either way.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

But if you think about it now that like going backwards.

Ali

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 24/04/2012 23:44:05
Then they can take to Twitter and point a link to the game in question. Or they can post about it on Facebook. If they care enough about the game in question, then suitable avenues to crow about it are only a url away. If they can't be bothered because there's not a button there to do it for them, then they probably won't lose any sleep either way.

Adventure games have always appealed to not-quite-average gamers, so we shouldn't assume that everyone visiting the database is thoroughly web-savvy. There may be visitors who are used to sharing with a facebook button, but don't share a game simply because they see no button.

In adventure game terms, you're endorsing the sierra interface method of sharing rather than the one-click method everyone outside of the forums is used to.

Ghost

Quote from: Ali on Wed 25/04/2012 10:41:42
In adventure game terms, you're endorsing the sierra interface method of sharing rather than the one-click method everyone outside of the forums is used to.

That really made my day.  ;D

Tartalo

Quote from: Hudders on Tue 24/04/2012 21:50:19
What version of Firefox? I'm not seeing the issue, using the latest version, (12.0).

I was using Firefox 11.0, of course, 12.0 was released yesterday!
Well, it seems that the Mozilla developers read these forums, or something.

voh

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 24/04/2012 23:44:05
Then they can take to Twitter and point a link to the game in question. Or they can post about it on Facebook. If they care enough about the game in question, then suitable avenues to crow about it are only a url away.

See, I don't understand this way of thinking. Why not make it easy to spread the word?

You don't like facebook/twitter? Fine! But there is no reason to gimp a site because some people don't want to use a feature.

The facebook like button, I don't like. I agree that it's iffy to share that much information with facebook from a site that has a like button (which is a minimally tiny link to fb, which means it shouldn't get info).

Share and Twitter's intent are easy as pie and don't require any info/tracking to/from facebook.

They're just links. Inert, safe.

http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=From%20AGS%20forums%20http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

If I can do that from the forum, you can trust that they're just links. If these get implemented, then you've got nothing to worry about, LimpingFish. If the Like button gets implemented, eh, I'd rather you not.
Still here.

cat

About the panel ratings and categorization:

I know this is a lot of work to do and understandable that the panel can't rate all games as soon as they are added to the database. But now there is a large amount of games that aren't even categorized.

I suggest to add the category dropdown to the "Add game" page again so that authors can select the game length themselves as it was before. When the panel reviews the game and think that the category is wrong, they can change it later anyway.

AGA

voh, that's exactly what the new forums are going to do.

cat, the reason they aren't categorised is no one can agree on an appropriate category for some games.  I'm planning to add some more categories as soon as I get the chance / remember to.

cat

If you are changing categories, I suggest making MAGS an additional flag and not a length category. There are short, medium length and non-adventure MAGS entries.

Hudders

Quote from: Tartalo on Wed 25/04/2012 12:09:00
Quote from: Hudders on Tue 24/04/2012 21:50:19

I was using Firefox 11.0, of course, 12.0 was released yesterday!
Well, it seems that the Mozilla developers read these forums, or something.

OK, so I was actually using 12.0 beta 6.  :P

Pumaman

Ok, I've moved the new website off the /Newsite URL and onto the main URL.

For now both websites are running in parallel. Can you guys please test this:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Home.aspx
and make sure it's all working properly. Once we're happy, I can change the default page so that the main www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk and www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk pages point to the new site instead.

Ryan Timothy B

Hmm. Something I never noticed when we were testing the new website. I'm not overly fond of the Picks of the Month not having a picture of the game to the left side.

Icey

Could I suggest a sideshow of some new AGS games on the new site games page? I could make it and post the code for ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk