Using a Commercial Background Artist

Started by .., Fri 17/04/2009 21:47:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: anian on Sat 18/04/2009 17:32:47
While we're around that subject of actually selling, is it worth it to say put the game up for free but make it a donation option (paypal ie) or pay as much as you like kinda thing?

Short answer, no.  Long answer, hell no.  :)  If you are serious about selling your game commercially, you'll never get anywhere if you make yourself a charity case who only gets paid by your customers if they feel like it.  I sort of went through this myself.  I had a game out for free, and then released a "deluxe" edition for five bucks which had improved graphics, voice acting, music, etc.  The result?  The number of downloads of the free version sky rocketed but nobody bought the deluxe version.  I had to ask myself a question, did I want more downloads or more sales?  I wanted more sales, so I removed the free version.   

This also sent out the message that I had enough confidence in the game to charge for it, even if it was only $5.  (side note: never sell a game for only $5!!) 

I very much doubt even 400 of the community bought [Dave's] games to be honest. Active members of AGS? Maybe 500 at a rough guesstimate. I would estimate maybe 150 members bought his games. The rest of the sales were through various game portals and reviews directing people to his site.

150?  Try maybe 50.  :)  Truth is, if you are selling an AGS game the last place you should market to is the AGS site.  As I said, this site is for hobbyists who are used to making and playing free games.  So it was hardly a shock when they didn't want to pay money for mine.  No biggie, though.  We're still cool, AGS.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteAs I said, this site is for hobbyists who are used to making and playing free games.  So it was hardly a shock when they didn't want to pay money for mine.  No biggie, though.  We're still cool, AGS.

This is also why so many agsers are picky and not as grateful as they could be.  Too much free material being produced raises standards and lowers appreciation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk