Should there be a specific Help Wanted Forum

Started by Dervish, Wed 22/04/2009 22:18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Dervish

Just curious what people thought about wether it would be useful.  I know people can just post a request for help, but seems like it can get lost in the shuffle.

Tuomas

Yeah, sure. I mean, I can see a lot of people seeing it as useless since there already is a sticky thread for this, but I really haven't seen that working in action. Usually people team up via #AGS or that stickam thing. I myself wouldn't notice if the thread here is updated now or 4 months ago :)

Stupot

I know where you're coming from Tuom.  New posts in the sticky threads seem to pass under my radar... not really sure why that is.  Kind of ironic seeing that the reason they are there is to be more accessible and yet they're the first ones to be overlooked.

I'd argue that if anything the 'offer your services' would be more apt as I think this probably offers the most chance of success in matching people up.

LRH

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This discussion happens about every year or so, and the main reason against it is that if there was a forum just for looking for/offering help it would basically become a competition, with posts quickly being lost on subsequent pages and people feeling the need to bump their topics like crazy to get attention.  The current method allows everyone to get a fair shake with a single topic that is stickied.

On a related note, there's no rule against posting that you are looking for help in your signature with a link to the appropriate post in the services thread.

Llama Val

I think it's a good idea. I think it is something that is important enough to the development of an AGS game that a dedicated forum would be more useful than just a thread. I don't think having it only open for people to offer their services would work, I think any graphic artist would be too afraid to be jumped by a million people clamoring for help on their best game ever.

I think it could work if there were guidelines like, "I need someone that can do [this] for this [specific] project, here is what has already been completed for it".

Just a thought. :)

Trent R

Quote from: NotTheRealVal on Thu 23/04/2009 07:42:41
I think it could work if there were guidelines like, "I need someone that can do [this] for this [specific] project, here is what has already been completed for it".
But those guidelines already exist for the RAT thread. Maybe not completely enforced all the time, but it doesn't need to be. If you do give specifics on what you need/have, less people are likely to reply (just look at J. Man's posts recently)

I'd like to add that I don't feel a sub-forum is needed. I'm involved with a project simply because I PMed the author and offered to help out. Now I'm the lead programmer, simply because I can script better than him. He didn't even post in the RAT.

And I offer my services daily in the forums. My strength is in scripting, and so I hang around and read every thread in the two tech forums, offering answers and suggestions when I can.

~Trent
PS-Have people forgotten the icons underneath the avatars? I generally don't trust the ones that click it, but don't put any more info, but those are a huge source of help. You won't be able to ask 'can you do the art of my game?', but you could certainly ask for help for specific problems.
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Trent R

To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

TerranRich

I agree that it's a good idea. One thread simply isn't enough really. It makes sense.

bicilotti

Quote from: TerranRich on Wed 27/05/2009 20:40:51
I agree that it's a good idea. One thread simply isn't enough really. It makes sense.

Second that.

Jakerpot

I can tell you i entered the forum now to create a thread like this and then i face this one  :o (really)

it should work as a "chart", if agreed, wich could have the kind of help wanted, the username, date and status (wanted or not wanted anymore). Just an idea.

BOYD1981

Quote from: Jakerpot on Wed 27/05/2009 22:08:46
I can tell you i entered the forum now to create a thread like this and then i face this one  :o (really)

it should work as a "chart", if agreed, wich could have the kind of help wanted, the username, date and status (wanted or not wanted anymore). Just an idea.

Nobody on this forum can provide you with the kind of help you need...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk