Sprite Jam - Life After The Apocalypse - Apr 26th-May 5th

Started by Kastchey, Sun 26/04/2009 20:24:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Kastchey

So you are given this background, and your task is to create a sprite of a person or a creature that the main character would have a chance to encounter in this desolate world of dead trees, tar pits and ash fields.

Rules:
1. Your sprite must fit the theme of the background, which is a post-apocalyptic fantasy world. So, no power suits this time, though gadgets like old-fashioned rifles are allowed. Just don't make it scream 'hi-tech'.

2. It would be nice if your sprite fit the style of the background, but it is not required. Make it fit size-wise instead.

3. You are free to make literally anything, a human (or elven or whatever) being, a monster, an animal or a magical creature, as long as it has something to do with an idea of a devastated world (a mutated unicorn, a tar monster, a goblin junk collector etc.)

4. I'm gonna borrow ProgZmax' idea since it turned out really interesting and fun: you can name your character or creature and give them a short description. But this is not obligatory.

And again, try to follow the theme and the atmosphere, and not necessarily the style of the given picture.

Okay then, so after a real hurricane of entries submitted for the Camp Copycat, the sprite jam is back to the usual, 'trigger but a few entries' old form, I guess. Still, hope you have fun with this one too =)

Alarconte

I have one doubt... By all the impressions give me this pic... It seems like the sprite will need to be a splash pic of an enemy in a first person RPG classic way. If I'm wrong tell me, cause is the total feel I got.

The other option is the possibility of drawing the sprite of the creature like a normal third person adventure game. But, what is the real intention?
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Gilbert

I think you can draw whatever you think that fits the background. In fact I don't get any "1st person" feeling in the background, and the "interface" even has the "walk to" commands like most 3rd person games. Maybe it's that the player character is not placed on it which mades you feel that it's 1st person.

Kastchey

I think Alarconte got this impression because of the text in the middle that sorta sounds like an FPP oldie rpg type, but exactly as Gilbet said, it's totally up to you. Just state that it's a splash-type sprite if you're submitting one, because they tend to be larger than regular, third perspective sprites.

And the pic was once intended to be a background for a typical 3rd person adventure game. The white GUI area was supposed to be the place where dialogue options appear.

Tuomas

Not necessarily an entry. Just wanted to try animation again after a while :) Nice bg by the way.

Kastchey

Thanks.
And why not make it an entry? It fits the requirements for this competition, perfectly blends with the bg style and looks great. Mind if I borrow this if I ever use this background for something? :)

Tuomas

Well then I'll make it an entry :) And yeah, you're welcome to use it whenever you want. Here's the sprite without the animation.

And i seem to have lost the file with separate layers, so that's the thing now. :)

Arboris

Good. Bad. He's the guy with the gun.

These are the colors I gave it originally, the one in the picture has been given more blueish tones to fit the enviroment.

*edit*

The reason I chose Ash from Army of Darkness is because that movie has 2 endings (or atleast that I know of). One (which most have seen i think) is that he returns to his own time, but the one I'm refering to is that he took too much of the potion and ended up 100 years later in a post apocalyptic world

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

Wreck

Heya,

I tend to lurk around the forums and watch the awesome work everyone does here, so I thought I would have a crack at this as it looked like fun.

sprite on its own:

A kind of mutant plant that although limited in mobility has a series of flexible stalks tipped with poison which can latch onto it's prey then drag the body in to be used as compost from any creature stupid enough to get near it.

Dualnames

Damn Arboris i was working on an entry with Ash..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Wyz

Is it a cat, or is it a fox... I don't even know. That is what the mutation did, as well its adaption to the new world. Aside from its eyes it is normally invisible, except for dusk. The low sun beams tent to reflect off it's fur.

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Arboris

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 01/05/2009 21:06:13

Enough post apocalyptic heroes to go around.

Dualnames

Quote from: Arboris on Sat 02/05/2009 13:05:31
Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 01/05/2009 21:06:13

Enough post apocalyptic heroes to go around.

MadMax isn't bad..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Play_Pretend

Kind of a joke entry, unless I win, and then it was totally serious. :)

The atomic Hypercrane, strolling the swamps with its body kept safely far above the reach of any leaping mutant frogtopuses.  Its keen eyesight allows it to spot fishes, which it attacks by falling over in a wide arc, stunning them with its enormous bill.  Hypercranes may soon be extinct, as none of them are ever able to get back on their feet after a successful attack.

Kastchey

Okay then, I guess it's time to pick a winner. It's been hard to choose a single winning entry, because each one of them manages to evoke the mood I was hoping for (and Strange Visitor, that includes yours =) ).

I was really impressed with Tuomas' and Wreck's entries, which seem to perfectly fit the background style and have a nice idea behind them too.
Bog's and Arboris' entries for a change are both made in somewhat different styles, but fit the idea nonetheless and bring a feeling of nostalgia. 'A guy with a big gun in a devastated world' - a strong classic type, isn't it? Speaking of classics, nice reference Arboris =)
Wyz's and Strange Visitor's entries offer great possibilities for an adventure game designer - imagine the nice puzzles one could come up with using those.

So yeah, it was hard for me to decide. I was tempted to make Wreck the winner, because of a really interesting way of blending the idea into the background. It's clear that this carnivorous mutant plant is a smart one, making its flowers resemble those magical butterflies that fly around this place to lure the unsuspecting victims. Very nicely done!

Still, I think that my favorite entry is Wyz's cat-fox (I think they discovered something like that on Borneo a few years ago?), because it's the most original and imaginative entry in my opinion. And like I said earlier in the post, this kind of half-visible creature would make a very nice adventure game puzzle.

So I guess that's it, Wyz is the winner. Here is the trophy for you:

Or a non-animated version, if you prefer:

Thank you all for all the work you put into your entries.
And this time Wyz, good luck to *you* thinking up the next competition ;)

And on a side note:
The half-finished picture that got to be the theme for this competition is a background for an adventure game I had in mind some time ago. And although it's still but a vague idea (which would have to wait its turn even if I finally managed to learn how to code  : /), someday it might come to life thanks to your entries, which I found really inspiring.
So, does any of you mind me using the ideas and/or graphics you submitted if i ever get to making the game in exchange for a big thank-you in game credits?

Wreck

No Problem Kastchey, you can use the graphic if you ever do anything with the game, was great fun entering the competition, I think I will try a few more in the future as I enjoyed it so much, and congratulations Wyz :)

Tuomas

Np, as said. Nice competition, and congrats Wyz and the foxcat (or was it a catfox:S)!  :D

Wyz

Thanks! :D It was fun all.

I think they discovered something like that on Borneo a few years ago?

Ow, I didn't know about that, thats pretty cool.

And this time Wyz, good luck to *you* thinking up the next competition ;)

Lol, yes, I could use it ;)

Ps.
Id like to see that game Kastchey. I like the post apoc genre. Feel free to use foxcat, catfox, whatever. :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Arboris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk