Super Game! (first game)

Started by HulaZombie, Mon 18/05/2009 06:56:17

Previous topic - Next topic

HulaZombie

I just finished my very first game, boastfully titled "Super Game". It's fairly typical of beginner games: very short, looks terrible, and not much of a plot. But, it's complete and (I think) bug-free. I was going to post it to the training games section of the games page, but when I started to make the post it said not to post short beginner games, so I'm posting here instead. Is it ok to post my game there?

I had so much fun making this. It's not much, but I hope if you have a few minutes free you might give it a try. ;)

Download
It's 640x480 and about 5MB

And a big thanks to all of you helpful people in the forums! I couldn't have finished this without all the tips I learned by lurking in the help sections.  ;D

Leon

Super Congratulations with this release!

It's always Super to post your game here. The graphics look Super so I'll give it a Super go. Let you know when I'm finished.

[update]
Well that was Super short but... well done for a first game. The animations fitted the game so good job. Nice tune in the background. Reminded me of Neverhood.. Nice sound effects as well. Some points to improve:

Spoiler
Try to give more background info. Now I'm just in a strange room. Maybe a bit more intro with the reason (good opportunity to tell a story).
You can use the bat on the bed. That makes you hit the lamp.. ? Try to separate those to make the the puzzle a bit harder.
When done with the bat, it's not in my inventory anymore. It's vanished. Same goes for the crowbar.
Try to give more feedback when using objects on other items.
Debug mode is still on..
[close]

Overall a good solid start of what might become a longer game. Super!
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

HulaZombie

Super thanks, I'm Super happy you tried it!

The music is actually from one of my favorite old-school games :)

Spoiler
That's a good point about splitting up the actions for hitting the lamp. I think I'll redo it that way. Better explanations of the items and actions is a good idea too. Losing the inventory items after use was intentional, for simplicity's sake, but you're right it doesn't make much sense. Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
[close]

I've started work on a new game, and I promise the next one will have a story. ;)

MoodyBlues

Female protagonist for the win.  :D  I'm super ready to try this out!
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

SuperDre

Just tried it, and it's a good start.

Next time, make the graphics more consistent, as the items seemed to be from different resolutions.. Also the background seemed to have a lot of 'resize'-garbage (for example around the corners of the room)..

Looking forward to your next (real) game.. Keep up the great work... ;)

The Suitor

I liked this. Like MoodyBlues, I'm all about the leading ladies  :=  The graphics comfort me; reminds me of that game that Wretched made... Where's ma hat ma I think is the name of it. Can't wait for longer games like this.

Puddleglum

Many Congratulations on your first game Zombie!!
I enjoyed it, short but sweet :) I'm definitely no expert but I'll tell you what I thought!
The Could-Be-Better:
Walking was a little slow. It was sometimes difficult to select an iventory item, and using "look" on an inventory item didn't do anything (I know that's not necessary but still :P). I think the area around the main character may have been too big because a few times I tried to click on something near or behind her and it kept thinking I was clicking her.
The Good:
I thought your main character was drawn well, especially her little dance number, hehe. The dialogue was good, and although the graphics weren't stunning they were simple and clean and I didn't mind them at all. The game made me smile!

Congrats again and I hope you made another game to share with us !! <3

HulaZombie

Thanks everybody for being so encouraging!

I really appreciate all your comments and these are all things I'm going to pay closer attention to as I make my next game.

SuperDre, I'm glad you mentioned the resize-garbage because I had noticed that but wasn't sure what caused it. Thanks!

And The Suitor, now I'll have to go check out that game of Wretched's you mentioned. ;)

Alarconte

I think your "pop-girl" style is cute and can be atractive in a mid-long game, with a little more acurate graphics. I loved the dancing animation.

Also, take consideration in increase the playability, (hotspots, and the pixel-finding in using items with objects)

congrats for you first mini-super-game ;)
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

johnnyfreak

Finished!
Good start. I love the dancing animation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk