Sprite Jam: 2D Fighters - 20th - 28th May *Winner announced*

Started by Arboris, Wed 20/05/2009 13:14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Arboris

I've been fiddeling with the MUGEN engine again lately and thought it might make an appropriate Sprite Jam topic. We're all used to making rather stiff standing, talking or walking animation etc. for AGS. But fighter characters are a whole lot more dynamic in posture and body language. So I thought it would make a nice exercise regarding general anatomy.

RULES

1. Your character has to be ofcourse a fighter character. The character itself does not have to be original content, so if you want a kung-fu Le Chuck or a Sumo wrestling Ben it's all fine by me.

2. There is no limit on color or size of your character.

3. Any pose is allowed, a kick attack, special fireball thingy, devestating uppercut or simply an idle pose. Thats up to you.

4. Bonus points for good posture. Fighters in fighting games are all about attitude, so strike a pose.

As a bit of inspiration, this is the character I'm currently working on. A fighter based around the french fighting sport 'Savate'

*EDIT*
Here are some trophies for those interested.

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

Gilbert

Heh, such topic came up once a while, and it's time for me to dig up my old pics.

(Not entries for obvious reasons.)

Arboris

Gilbert

Arboris

Evil

If I recall correctly, I think I hosted the first fighter sprite jam, way back in 2004.

Well, I had a lot of fun with the Camp Copycat Jam, so I decided to attempt to make a self portrait fighter in the same style. I worked on the body and the head independently, so their proportions are a little of. I tried to adjust the head to body ratio based off the sprites from the Copycat jam. And honestly, this is the most accurate self portrait I've ever done, in any medium.

Edit: For fun, I did another in the same style, this time of my girlfriend, complete with panda t-shirt, Totoro plushie and Blackberry cellphone.

Edit 2: Ugh, I couldn't help myself. Here's a quick one of LGM, holding a cigarette and an advance copy of Phil Reed's new book.

Arboris

Gilbert

That means it is not a bad thing. I may also enter if I have time. :)

Edited with entry:

Just random thing I had in mind. Did think of animating it but was too lazy busy to do so. I didn't even care about its size. I may add obscure descriptions if I could think of some.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Evil: It's time to move on from Camp Copycat! :).

Besides, after the bombs fall, all we'll be left with is:

21st Century Mummy!

In a past life he was Herbert Wendell Wright, couch potato, nerd extraordinaire and expert at Street Fighter 2.  After being fatally dunked in a toilet and wrapped in toilet paper, his body remains preserved during The Great Bombfest of 2045.  Awakened by radiation, Herbert's a mummy with attitude and a pair of wireless headphones playing his favorite IPOD game tunes over and over again as he strolls the wasteland looking for worthy opponents to unleash his skills on, like the deadly CONTROLLERWHIPLASH move.

And here is 21st Century Mummy all alone.

Arboris

Arboris

Bulbapuck

Alright! Here is my entry (or entries):

LOW-RES FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!1!!!

;D

From left to right:
Ray-(a character from my upcoming game scaled down), Death, The Devil, Potato man, Ryan, Lily, Wizard and of course Jack.

I also created a fight animation between Ryan and Jack in AGS:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmvqjj2gizc

That animation is where I've put all the work (needed to practice ::))

ps. Interact and talk with the animation ;)

cat

I'm not quite satisfied with it, but here is my fighter:

loominous

Seeing her nephew get walloped in the ring, Mrs McPip decided to hand out a lesson of her own.

Looking for a writer

Arboris

Man, there are so many good entries.

I was thinking on doing a little voting session to let people pick their favorite favorite one. (too bad there isn't a voting mechanism on this board). So please make your choise people, I'll count the votes tomorrow morning.

Bulbapuck

IndieBoy

I'm really confused why we vote in some competitions and not in others. Personally I think it should be up to the host not the voters who gets to do the next comp, but anyway if we are voting my vote also goes to progzmax.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Matti

Quote from: IndieBoy on Thu 28/05/2009 14:01:26
Personally I think it should be up to the host not the voters who gets to do the next comp, but anyway if we are voting my vote also goes to progzmax.

Why? I think it should be up to the host to decide if it should be his vote that counts or the fellow AGSers votes... just like it is now..

BOYD1981

Quote from: Mr Matti on Thu 28/05/2009 14:21:15
Quote from: IndieBoy on Thu 28/05/2009 14:01:26
Personally I think it should be up to the host not the voters who gets to do the next comp, but anyway if we are voting my vote also goes to progzmax.

Why? I think it should be up to the host to decide if it should be his vote that counts or the fellow AGSers votes... just like it is now..

Because the host has a better idea of who more closely followed the rules than the other entrants, and even those who did not enter. I really do think voting should be only be done by the other entrants, but seeing as it isn't; my vote goes to ProgZmax.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk