Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Towel Day (Reviewed)

Started by Dualnames, Sun 24/05/2009 15:52:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

To celebrate Towel Day, and to apologize to LUniqueDan for that April's fool joke, the inspiration to create this game was given.

Asking the comments and thoughts and bug finding skills as well of Ben304, Ghost and Bicilotti, we decided to release it.

Hiring and giving the shortest deadline we could to Arjanpelle to write the music, the soundtrack was added.

Without further bubbling about anything, we present you:

Towel Day:

FOREWORD

Well, hello, and thanks for taking your time on reading this. What do you need to know about this game?
1) Always play it with your towel on your side.
2) Go make yourself a nice cup of Tea.
3) Don't expect more than one hour of gameplay. It's a really short game.

STORY
Four figures run on a corridor, they see a small blink of a light and head towards it..
The game takes the last four chapters of the book and makes a game out of them.

SCREENSHOTS

TEAM
Art, Music, Programming, Story/Dialogs - James Spanos (Dualnames):
Music - Arjanpelle
Some testing - Bicilotti, Ghost, Ben304

Thanks to: ProgzMax and IndieBoy(for some background art tips)
Dedicated To: Towel Day, HHGTG fans, LUniqueDan (if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have thought of making this).

DOWNLOAD

Download

You can see a review of the game by JD (as known as Find Therma) here:

http://jd-adventuregamereviews.blogspot.com/2010/01/hitchhikers-guide-to-galaxy-towel-day.html
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Leon

This looks somewhat familiar  :D
Playing now, comments later.

[Comments later:]

Short and sweet indeed. First of all: Don't panic! Compliments to Arjan, what a great score. And DN, you always seem to know where your towel is ;-)
Happy towel day!

[/comments]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Dualnames

Quote from: Leon on Sun 24/05/2009 19:17:05
This looks somewhat familiar  :D
Playing now, comments later.

[Comments later:]

Short and sweet indeed. First of all: Don't panic! Compliments to Arjan, what a great score. And DN, you always seem to know where your towel is ;-)
Happy towel day!

[/comments]

Indeed it does. Thanks for the nice comments. Happy towel day too(even belated).
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Happy towel day- and congrats on extending the "canon" with some fitting original stuff.

Dualnames

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 26/05/2009 10:45:50
Happy towel day- and congrats on extending the "canon" with some fitting original stuff.

And thanks too, Ghost!!  :D

pick yer poison

"Three rights may make a left, but there's still something drastically wrong with your pathfinding algorithm."

Joe

Nice! :) Looking fwrd to seeing your next game
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Dualnames

Dualnames

Due to the release of the more complete and bigger game, I'd love some feedback if any...apart from nice game. ;) I'm planning not to screw with the other game. And not to mention this game was released in order to be enjoyable..was it?

abstauber

Okay, downloaded and finished.

*Graphics: Nice and suitable background graphics, the sprite are okay too, but look like a batch job of "copy/scale/rotate/paste" in photoshop as they move (e.g. marvins legs)

*Font: Spacey, but not so easy on the eyes

*Scripting: Very nice GUI, the whole game plays smoothly.

*Music: Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have imagined something more dramatic for the cop-screen.

*Gameplay: Not much to do and I still don't like to die in games ;)

*Dialogs: Nice and original

Bottom line:
Hardly a game itself, but a good showcase for your upcoming title, which I can't wait to play :)
The Scripting is top notch.

edit
I've just taken a look at the readme file. You really don't need to add that license text of my module. Keeping it inside the scriptfile itself is just fine ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 04/06/2009 14:56:07
Okay, downloaded and finished.

*Graphics: Nice and suitable background graphics, the sprite are okay too, but look like a batch job of "copy/scale/rotate/paste" in photoshop as they move (e.g. marvins legs)

*Font: Spacey, but not so easy on the eyes

*Scripting: Very nice GUI, the whole game plays smoothly.

*Music: Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have imagined something more dramatic for the cop-screen.

*Gameplay: Not much to do and I still don't like to die in games ;)

Bottom line:
Hardly a game itself, but a good showcase for your upcoming title, which I can't wait to play :)
The Scripting is top notch.

edit
I've just taken a look at the readme file. You really don't need to add that license text of my module. Keeping it inside the scriptfile itself is just fine ;)

Thanks really appreciated. I'm working on the font, I think that it's not as clear as I wish it to be, indeed.

And I'll do something about the animation too...

GuyAwesome

Quote from: abstauber

Wasn't like 90% of the text lifted directly from the book? Which makes it hoopy, but ain't exactly original. Of course, if it was your own work - sorry, and VERY nice job copying the style :) (But the R17 stuff seemed ... oddly edited.)

Nice little semi-game, and as a DNA fan I'm looking forward to the 'real' product. Not particularly difficult if you've read the source, except
Spoiler

was there any hint what the right level was for the aircar pump thing? It seemed to be trial and error.
[close]

EDIT:
On replay, maybe more like 87% books, 13% original dialogue...
Incidentally, this was meant to be mostly POSITIVE feedback. Not sure if that was obvious, but I did enjoy it.

Dualnames

Quote from: GuyAwesome on Tue 09/06/2009 00:27:04
Quote from: abstauber

Wasn't like 90% of the text lifted directly from the book? Which makes it hoopy, but ain't exactly original. Of course, if it was your own work - sorry, and VERY nice job copying the style :) (But the R17 stuff seemed ... oddly edited.)

Nice little semi-game, and as a DNA fan I'm looking forward to the 'real' product. Not particularly difficult if you've read the source, except
Spoiler

was there any hint what the right level was for the aircar pump thing? It seemed to be trial and error.
[close]

EDIT:
On replay, maybe more like 87% books, 13% original dialogue...
Incidentally, this was meant to be mostly POSITIVE feedback. Not sure if that was obvious, but I did enjoy it.

I know exactly what you mean, and I don't feel offended at all, in fact moreover happy in a degree. Indeed the game is an attempt to "translate" the last four chapters of the book into a game.  :D

I'd say more like 67% books, 33% original dialogue...  :D

The R17 part is not exactly from the book. Indeed it is referred to, but the joke that goes with r17 is 100% original and wasn't even existed in the books. If we're speaking for the same part of course.. ;)

Thing is that with this and the real product, because someone has done it before me it's hard to not to stick with what has been done and not revise stuff. It was also hard to add the rock and all that small stuff inside the game, and still make sure they fit the game properly and purists will not consider them fake. If all goes well, and we realize the biggie and people like it, I'll try and create some really cool stuff I have on my mind for book 2(still keeping the style though).

Glad you enjoyed, and no worries I got your point.

Grim

Downloaded the game, made a cup of tea, sat down comfortably. I must warn you that I read all the books- but hated the film!:) Starting.

Grim

Hmmmm... It was over way too quickly! It took me all but 5 minutes to get through to the end... Maybe 7 because I died on the levers bit(a bit unfair, this one, but ironically it somehow suited the absurdity of Adams' universe). Still, I admire your scripting- that GUI rocks, I wish I had more chance to play with it though. Noticed some neat scripting tricks that I wish I knew how to do myself:)

Overall, the graphics were quite pleasant but again- you took your inspiration from that idiotic film that should've never been made. I'd have liked it more if you designed those characters yourself.

Nice little project. I'm definitely gonna play your next game. You show a great promise, despite of those things I mentioned above!:)

Dualnames

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Wed 17/06/2009 00:25:47
Overall, the graphics were quite pleasant but again- you took your inspiration from that idiotic film that should've never been made. I'd have liked it more if you designed those characters yourself.

Can you specifically say who/ or what is based on the movie? Zaphod I'd guess eh?

And, well, this is my first 3 cup rating game.  :D
It was a goal to make something enjoyable, and I'm really glad this was achieved. Short way too many indeed though. :D :D

GuyAwesome

The open-robe-and-shorts Arthur strikes me as movie inspired too. And yeah, for the full length game I'd kinda prefer it to be more like the TV series. It just looks too .. modern and not Arthur Dent-ish if he's not in proper pyjamas and a dressing gown. Didn't want to bring it up before ::)
Also, one of the few things I liked about Zooey Deschanel in the film is that - like Trillian - she actually has dark hair (dark brown or black in the book, IIRC). Everything else about her was crappy, though I didn't mind the film overall. Not great, but I didn't find it as horrible as Grim obviously did. Oh, and definitely stick with classic Marvin.

Dualnames

Quote from: GuyAwesome on Wed 17/06/2009 15:52:16
The open-robe-and-shorts Arthur strikes me as movie inspired too. And yeah, for the full length game I'd kinda prefer it to be more like the TV series. It just looks too .. modern and not Arthur Dent-ish if he's not in proper pyjamas and a dressing gown. Didn't want to bring it up before ::)
Also, one of the few things I liked about Zooey Deschanel in the film is that - like Trillian - she actually has dark hair (dark brown or black in the book, IIRC). Everything else about her was crappy, though I didn't mind the film overall. Not great, but I didn't find it as horrible as Grim obviously did. Oh, and definitely stick with classic Marvin.

Marvin's is based on the series classic model. Ford is mostly based on my imagination, Arthur strikes as the movie one? Surprisingly enough, it shouldn't.

I DON'T TAKE INSPIRATION FROM THE MOVIE :D

To see my point:
My Arthur

Series Arthur

Movie Arthur

Colourwise you should check that.
Ah, well, you might be right on second thought. You should have brought this up though. I'm planning to revise them all then. Again. Perhaps not Ford and Trillian. But come to think of it Blackthorne suggested that well, we all love Hitchhikers don't we? That doesn't mean we visualize things the same way though. I always imagined the cops with fancy helmets yet I drew them getting inspiration from the series. That's what I said to you on PM, it's really hard to do stuff and imagine stuff that have already been visualized (twice). I'm taking this as good criticism though, and perhaps you're right.

GuyAwesome

Huh, I genuinely remembered the movie Arthur in shorts (well, knee-length pyjama bottoms), but then it HAS been a while since I watched it. You've got to give me the 'open robe' part, at least :), and that it's more 'modern' (less ... stuffy and English) look than series (or for that matter my personal imagining of) Arthur.

You asked where Grim Reaper was getting the movie inspired vibe from, and that's what popped into my head, because it's what I'd been thinking all along - more in the sense of 'seems CLOSER to the movie than the series version' than 'copied DIRECTLY from the movie', and obviously I'm not speaking for Grim here. The reason I didn't mention it before was ... you're right, it doesn't really matter, we all have our own versions of the characters in our heads. Provided you get the dialogue/description text and general 'feel' right (and based on this, you will) it's not overly important if your vision doesn't exactly match mine for every single character. Except movie Marvin vs. classic Marvin. If you'd gone with movie Marvin, we'd have had to have words...
The Trillian thing was just because we were discussing appearances anyway, and it struck me as odd that the film - for all the other liberties it takes - comes closest to matching her original description (although ZD's eyes are blue, not 'ridiculously brown'). You can take this as good criticism, or take it as a tangential comment between fans and just ignore it :)

EDIT:
Well, if you're not happy with the characters for whatever reason, then go for it - but don't feel you HAVE to redo them just because of a few throwaway comments by obsessive nerds ;D Personally, I'd rather you just got on with making the game, than get bogged down continually redesigning sprites that're already perfectly fine.

Dualnames

I'm not even thinking of planning to ignore it, in fact I'm considering to really go through some stuff, I've neglected. Probably remake the Arthur, cause that's the one I'm less satisfied with. If what you said wasn't true (the movie vibe), then I'd jump and prove you wrong. But I didn't.

Overall, I'm really taking this and the whole attempt to mess with a universe, really into consideration. In fact, I really enjoy the diversity of opinions, and I feel what lacks this and probably the other game, is that 'feel'

Grim

Dualnames

Quote from: GuyAwesome on Thu 18/06/2009 15:24:08
EDIT:
Well, if you're not happy with the characters for whatever reason, then go for it - but don't feel you HAVE to redo them just because of a few throwaway comments by obsessive nerds ;D Personally, I'd rather you just got on with making the game, than get bogged down continually redesigning sprites that're already perfectly fine.

Oh, an edit, didn't see it.

Well, in fact I did some redesigning yesterday ,even with the GUI's, and for the result we've reached, I thank you for pushing me to (not in a way of forcing).

I'm really happy now with the GUI's style something that I've redone many times, but only kept me partially happy and for a small while. Overall I say with the main game, that it's going rather nice. I just want to give out something that I'm happy 100% with. Towel Day was around 90% (10% is mostly due to its size).

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Thu 25/06/2009 11:03:27
Quote from: GuyAwesome on Thu 18/06/2009 15:24:08

(...) obsessive nerds (...)

Well, I hope it's not me you're talking about...

That's me Grim.. ;D

GuyAwesome

Actually, I meant pretty much everyone here - it was an all inclusive 'obsessive nerds', and just what exactly's wrong with that?

Grim Reaper, you're posting in the forums of a program for making adventure games ... in the thread of a game based on (part of) a radio series/book that's older than you ... and slipped in a complaint about a terrible film version that shouldn't have been made. If I wasn't talking about you specifically, I can see why you thought I might've been  ;D

Dualnames, if you're happy, we're happy. Now for Zarquon's sake get on with the game....

Dualnames

Quote from: GuyAwesome on Thu 25/06/2009 11:53:44
Actually, I meant pretty much everyone here - it was an all inclusive 'obsessive nerds', and just what exactly's wrong with that?

Grim Reaper, you're posting in the forums of a program for making adventure games ... in the thread of a game based on (part of) a radio series/book that's older than you ... and slipped in a complaint about a terrible film version that shouldn't have been made. If I wasn't talking about you specifically, I can see why you thought I might've been  ;D

Dualnames, if you're happy, we're happy. Now for Zarquon's sake get on with the game....

Best leave Zarquon out of this!!

He's right

Grim

Quote from: GuyAwesome on Thu 25/06/2009 11:53:44

Oh my God... You're right... I'm a nerd!!!

kajlin

A nice short game. It's pitty the story isn't longer   :( I'd a little bit troubles with speed of dialogues. They were about two second faster than I as a foreigner can catch up.

Dualnames

Sorry for the bump and all, perhaps it would be best to bump the WIP topic, but this isn't exactly about the remake. This is for this game. JD / Find Therma, has surprised me and has gone into reviewing Towel Day. I'm agreeing with all the points he made, so you should too! :D

Here's the link:
http://jd-adventuregamereviews.blogspot.com/2010/01/hitchhikers-guide-to-galaxy-towel-day.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk