Mr. Danger's Contest (MAGS May 2009 Entry) **UPDATE- Most Downloaded Game!**

Started by poc301, Tue 26/05/2009 18:03:45

Previous topic - Next topic

poc301

Mr. Danger's Contest

This is an entry to the May, 2009 MAGS competition.  I took some time off from working on Murran Chronicles #3 to do this light hearted investigative drama/sci-fi/comedy mixture, and really enjoyed it.

STORY :

You are James McManus, a loner.  You receive an invitation from a mysterious Mr. Danger to come and compete in a competition against other 'special people' to inherit his millions of dollars.  Not one to pass up that much money, you head to his secluded mansion.  Once there, things quickly turn deadly, and you must not only be the winner of the competition, but you must also try to figure out who is killing the competition before they do away with you.

INFO:

Mr. Danger's Contest is in 640x400 resolution (natively 320x200, but my fonts look better in the larger resolution).

And yes, all those awesome sound effects and all the music were all made by me and my trusty PC microphone :)

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

SCREENSHOTS:

Leon

Looking good. Playing now, telling later.
And now back to MC3, enough delay already!!!  ;)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

poc301

Awesome Leon, I hope you enjoy it :)

I am getting back to Murran Chronicles 3 tomorrow.  I wanted to take the rest of the day off :)

-Bill

Frodo

Playing it now.  Brilliant wee game.   :D

I like all the humming and do-do-di-di and verbal 'creaks' etc.  Makes it just a bit different.   :)

poc301

Glad you got it :)  I wanted to make it a bit different.  Something out of the ordinary as far as music is concerned.  I tried to make it as un-irritating as possible, but some of the rooms music could potentially grate on you if you listen to it for long periods of time :)  The little drumbeat one in the subterraneous areas for instance.  I went "tss tss" into my microphone and then made it loop. :)

-Bill

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

poc301

Thanks Dual :)

Also, just so people know, there are 2 completely different endings, and one of the endings has 2 branches differentiating how to go about getting the ending.

-Bill

arj0n

Small bug?

Spoiler
After the girl was been murdered, I went to the game room talking to the teleport guy. I was able to ask about the threatening note I should have found on my bed. But I was just before that in my bed room and there was no note yet on my bed. After the conversation I went upstears and then I did found the note.
[close]

Still enjoying the game right now, bit of Agatha Christie story style, well done so far!

poc301

Ack!  Thanks Arjon.  I forgot to disable that initially available dialog option in the editor :(

I will change it up today and get a new version online.  Completely slipped my mind somehow..

Thanks for the comments!  I tried to make it something different, but I somehow get pulled toward the style of the Murran Chronicles (detective type story, sci-fi supernatural type stuff, etc, etc).  Ah well.  I'm a one trick pony :)

-Bill

arj0n

another small bug:

Spoiler
After using the action "use" on the one-red-button-remote-control within the inventory and then exiting the inventory, the normal action options won't work anymore (like "use" on  door to open the door). Only after cycling through the options with right-moue-button or selecting an option from the top bar, the action will work again...
[close]

arj0n

3th small bug:

Spoiler
the "walk behind" isn't properly set with the Mona Lisa painting. I'm able to walk behind it. I noticed this after I found the note in the black box in the "paint room", don't know if it is possible to walk behind it in an earlier moment in the game (when having the code to the attic of course) although I do thing so...
[close]

poc301

Ack!  Thanks for the heads up.

I am resolving them all now and will put an updated version online.

Thanks,

Bill

arj0n

Solved it within 2.5 hours, though I had to reload once because
Spoiler
I made the wrong decision at the end (the "whodunit" part), so you managed to let me make the wrong decision based on clues and dialogs during the game, nice
[close]
One thing I didn't really understand ???:
Spoiler
The note from the black box tells me to go back to the computer room and cue up the video file to find out where Mr. Danger hides. I never managed to cue up that video file. Without that I still found Mr. Danger and managed to finish the game with 200 points??
[close]
Another thing in this game that adds even a bit more mystery-atmosphere to the whole story (in my opinion) is:
Spoiler
Darn, what's behind that Pantry door which I was never been able to open... ::)
[close]
Really enjoyed this game, congrats on your mags entry Bill!!! 8)

So people:

I recommend you download & solve this "sci-fi supernatural whodunit detective thriller", you'll definitely enjoy it!!

poc301

Alrighty!  Version 1.1 is now online and ready to be downloaded.  It fixes the following bugs:

Fixed walkbehind misplacement with Mona Lisa painting.
Fixed walkbehind on staircase to attic so legs don't show through steps.
Fixed dialog option errors about threatening note.  It now shows up only after note is found.
Fixed problem when using the remote control. Icon cycling in order to do anything no longer needed.

Thanks Arj0n!

---

Quote from: [ Arj0n ] on Wed 27/05/2009 14:18:00
Solved it within 2.5 hours, though I had to reload once because
Spoiler
I made the wrong decision at the end (the "whodunit" part), so you managed to let me make the wrong decision based on clues and dialogs during the game, nice
[close]

Yes I did :)  As I mentioned, there are multiple endings, a good (correct) one and a bad (incorrect) one.  Someone was framing someone, apparently.  Hehe.   There are two ways to finish the game with the good ending.  You get full points doing the solo way, but if you get someone to help you with the bad guy, you can get a different ending sequence, but still get the good ending.

SPOILER:
Spoiler
Use the metal bar or the hinges on the butler at the end to select him at the bad guy, then once he becomes the tentacle-man and begins choking you, DONT use your special powers to stop him.  Instead, use the kitchen knife to chop his arm off.  This will make Randy help you out.  You don't get full points, but its a more 'friendly' ending as you guys basically become friends..
[close]

One thing I didn't really understand ???:
Spoiler
The note from the black box tells me to go back to the computer room and cue up the video file to find out where Mr. Danger hides. I never managed to cue up that video file. Without that I still found Mr. Danger and managed to finish the game with 200 points??
[close]

Yes, you did it right.  It was supposed to be the next step..

SPOILER:
Spoiler
If you look at the one monitor in the computer room when you find Mike's body on the desk, you will see that someone wiped the video feeds and prepped the hard drives for formatting after they killed him.  If a certain someone didn't kidnap Mr. Danger and hold him bound and gagged in the hidden room, you would have used the video feed to see where he was in order to win the competition (in his room, as per the narration during the ending sequence).  But someone sabotaged it.  You just happen to hear him mumbling from behind the painting on the way down the stairs after the attic.  So you get full points because you saved him from a certain death! :)
[close]

Another thing in this game that adds even a bit more mystery-atmosphere to the whole story (in my opinion) is:
Spoiler
Darn, what's behind that Pantry door which I was never been able to open... ::)
[close]

Hahah, maybe I will add something back there after the ending sequence in the future.  Maybe something silly, or something crazy, or who knows :)

Really enjoyed this game, congrats on your mags entry Bill!!! 8)

So people:

I recommend you download & solve this "sci-fi supernatural whodunit detective thriller", you'll definitely enjoy it!!

Thanks much!  I am glad you liked it!

-Bill

stacygibbs

This was fun. I enjoyed playing it and loved the "soundtrack." Thanks Bill!

poc301

Glad you liked it :)

I didn't know how people would react to the soundtrack being me making noises into my microphone, but it seems to be decently well recieved.

-Bill

poc301

Thanks to everyone for putting this on the top 5 downloaded games of last week list!  200+ downloads in 2 days isn't bad :)

I will buy you all a pepsi.

-Bill

Frodo

Got stuck for a while, but I finished it now.   ;D

Wonderful game.  I like how you can use his power to help you get past some of the puzzles.   :D

I saved it in the hidden room, then restored it, so I could see all 3 endings.   ;)

One of my favourite sound effects is
Spoiler
Mike's body in the computer room... bleeding.  DRIP!   ;D
[close]

I really hope you make more games in this style.. i.e. using this kind of sound effects\music.   ;D

poc301

Glad you like it Frodo :)

I have to admit that one of my favorites is the same blood sound effect too.  It almost sounds like a real drip effect, but then your brain steps in saying, "Wait..  What was that?" :)

Thanks again!

Bill

Frodo

I must admit, I suspted that
Spoiler
the butler was behind it all
[close]

But I was surprised when
Spoiler
he turned into tentacle monster, and starting strangling me   ;)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk