MAGS 2009-June: Sellout (Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Sun 31/05/2009 22:55:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Sellout

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner OneDollar:

Advertising is big business - after all how will your customers know to buy your stuff without someone telling them to? Fortunately you've hit on the perfect idea - if you make a game about your product people will buy the game, learn about the product then buy that!

Your task is as follows...
First come up with a product or line of products to advertise. Be as creative as you want, parodies of existing items are allowed but please don't advertise something real!

Now create a game with the purpose of advertising your item(s). You may want to use one or more of the following ideas...

1) Make a game where the main character has to interact with the item. It could be an inventory object that has to be used, something that the main character is trying to get or even a character in the game.

2) Create a mascot for your product and create a game based around them (think the Burger King games for the Xbox 360). The mascot doesn't have to do anything directly with the product, but it must be made obvious what the product is and that they are linked to it.

3) Set your game in a setting where you can casually slip your item into the background at every opportunity (think the Chupa Chups lollipops in the backgrounds of the 'Sweet Zone' levels of Zool).

4) Come up with a rival product and show how much better your product is or how much worse their product is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by June 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

FAQ:
Where is Klaus? What the hell are you doing Dual?

Well, Klaus after hosting the MAGS for the last 5 years without failing to do so, has decided to pass the flame. I'm glad to say I'll be the host from now on. Hopefully Klaus will even join with a game.. :D

So what's new?

Apart from the host nothing. I'm going to make a topic so you can suggest stuff.

Anyway..

The winner and the man to choose the theme

Tijne with his entry Proposal..

Congrats to you and jerakeen.
I've sent you a PM Tijne so you have two days to pick a competition theme and tell me about it..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

paolo

Hm, does this mean that as we had the MAGS special last month, the winner of each MAGS competition will now end up setting the rules for the MAGS competition after next rather than the next one?

Klaus

Quote from: paolo on Mon 01/06/2009 13:29:23
Hm, does this mean that as we had the MAGS special last month, the winner of each MAGS competition will now end up setting the rules for the MAGS competition after next rather than the next one?

The MAGS Special was a special competition with a special prize, so that contest is not bound to the standard "winner sets up next month's rules". It's just kind of a time-out from the regular way.
As the winner in April was OneDollar, now his ruleset is in use and it's all "in line" again :) And this month's winner will set up next month's rules and so on - just as usual... Except Dualnames wants to change things :)

Dualnames

I think I'll find a way to make things more confusing in the future.. ;D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

poc301

Wait...

So since it was a special entry month in May, does that mean that whoever wins, be it myself or Mazoliin, do we get a cake?

Cake, please.

Thanks,

Bill

Anian

Quote from: poc301 on Mon 01/06/2009 16:53:10So since it was a special entry month in May, does that mean that whoever wins, be it myself or Mazoliin, do we get a cake?

Cake, please.
Cake is a lie, you wouldn't want it.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

poc301

Klaus

Quote from: poc301 on Mon 01/06/2009 16:53:10
So since it was a special entry month in May, does that mean that whoever wins, be it myself or Mazoliin, do we get a cake?
Eeeh... No. No cake... But... You know about the prize, don't you? It's all written in the announcement...

poc301

Oh wow, I had no idea.  I didn't really worry about the prize, I just did the contest last month for fun :)

Here's hoping for victory!  I can always use a multitool!!

-Bill

Akatosh

I have something in the works. Might finish, might not finish, will be crap if it does. Anyone else?

jerakeen

i'm preparing something too, i hope to get it on time

Dualnames

Quote from: jerakeen on Fri 19/06/2009 20:34:16
i'm preparing something too, i hope to get it on time

You do that.

Quote from: Akatosh on Thu 18/06/2009 21:36:30
I have something in the works. Might finish, might not finish, will be crap if it does. Anyone else?

I like your self-esteem most of all your attributes.

Wrap it guys and call if you need an extension of deadline.

Akatosh

Don't worry, next time I win at something remotely important, my ego will likely grow back to the size of the moon.  :P

About the deadline: It'd be nice if I could get until the evening of the 26th or something, so I could do some polishing... stupid non-adventure games being not all that easy to make with an adventure game engine...

Dualnames

Quote from: Akatosh on Mon 22/06/2009 17:02:00
About the deadline: It'd be nice if I could get until the evening of the 26th or something, so I could do some polishing... stupid non-adventure games being not all that easy to make with an adventure game engine...

The deadlines go 1-25 for game making
25-28 for voting
28-30 for next mags to start and winner to decide theme

I can make the deadline to 26th (when it turns 27th deadline is over)
27-28 for voting and 29-30 day for the winner to decide.

If that is needed though and nobody feels its unfair.

Akatosh

That'd be great, thanks. I likely won't finish till tomorrow evening, but I should finish on Friday.

jerakeen

Souls Quest

In a world where there is excess of souls, you see that there is a need. To the majority of the souls they don't like to be without body and there are many people who needs one more soul. So you are employed at a shop of sale of souls and...

Download Souls Quest (10Mb)

The product are the souls of course. He he.

WARNING: traslation to english is very, very poor.

WARNING 2: in the inventory to pick up an objetc you sould use the "use" mode (the gears icon).

EDIT: I changed the link to download the game

Tijne

I finished my entry... five minutes ago.
And I'm also very glad to have an extra day to touch some things up.  ;D

Dualnames

The deadlines go 1-25 for game making
25-28 for voting
28-30 for next mags to start and winner to decide theme

I can make the deadline to 26th (when it turns 27th deadline is over)
27-28 for voting and 29-30 day for the winner to decide.

Deadline exactly 24 hours after this post (see stamp)

Voting will begin shortly after that time, and as long as there are two or more entries.
Voting will last from Saturday (27) till Sunday (28).

Two days (29-30) will be left for the winner to decide the theme and tell me about it.
Let's rumble!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk