Space Captain Cindy - Preview available

Started by red runner, Sat 06/06/2009 00:48:10

Previous topic - Next topic

red runner

In the 22nd Century, Space Captain Cindy was exploring the cosmos. Upon finding a desolate planetoid, she began entry. Everything was going according to plan, when her rocket veered off course. She was barely able to make an emergency landing before she lost power to her boosters.  Stranded on an unnamed planet, she must recover missing components and repair her rocket.

Backgrounds : 40%
Puzzles : 33%
Graphics: Unknown (I don't know how many times I'm going to rework them).

A download as it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?jmmntgzjn4z

Note : This was not intentionally similar to Astranded.

UPDATE: UPDATE:
Okay, school's been hectic, but I've managed to get these up, showcasing the most recent backgrounds and my new, buggy and incomplete GUI!

I expect it will be a while before I update again, but I'll keep working on it.
"Life's too short for all this nonsense.:
  -Joseph Brophy

Jakerpot

yeah, it's better you re-work with the graphics, with no offense, they look awfull. Sorry for my rude words, but you need to add more details to it. Try to make it not so MS Paint looking, when you look to the ground at the 2 image, you know it was made with the spray tool, so try to make it more detailed and beautiful. tutorials can help you a lot.

ThreeOhFour

Awww Jakerpot, no need to be like that man!

The point is, it is a free game, and a personal project, which counts as a learning experience. The graphics aren't the most important point, and even if they were then this isn't the place to get help on them.

Personally, I don't see why the game cannot be made with these graphics - they suit the purpose fine. It makes me a little sad when I see people posting such things.

Sorry to go offtopic  :-[

Back to the point at hand:

Seems like you've made a decent start to the game, even if there wasn't heaps to do yet. It'd be nice to have Cindy give us a little introduction speech at the start as well. :)

I also have to say that the title of the game brought a smile to my face, as I was once thinking about making a little project called 'Space Captain Steve' (I probably even have the graphics sitting around somewhere).

Good luck with the game :)

Dualnames

Quote from: Jakerpot on Sat 06/06/2009 23:48:08
yeah, it's better you re-work with the graphics, with no offense, they look awfull. Sorry for my rude words, but you need to add more details to it. Try to make it not so MS Paint looking, when you look to the ground at the 2 image, you know it was made with the spray tool, so try to make it more detailed and beautiful. tutorials can help you a lot.

I think the graphics need some detail more, but overall they have style and feel very nice to the eye.

To reply to jakerpot.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Graphics are always highly subjective; I'd say they get the job done- and Cindy's sprite is simple adorable! Downloading now, will give feedback later.

PS: Astranded isn't a bad reference by the way. And no, I'm not that game's author.

Alarconte

I think the style of the desert background with the scapepod is enougth good, but yes, the BG with the random pixels yellow-green hurts a little.

Anyway, if anyone cannot do good graphics, Simply make a better effort with script and puzzles.

Luck with your game! I Love sci-fi games ;)
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

JpSoft

QuoteAnyway, if anyone cannot do good graphics, Simply make a better effort with script and puzzles.

Yes; as a totally disabled person makin graphics, i know how hard is to create your own BGs, even a very basic one. And how frustrating is when you read than some people just saw 2 BGs of your work and forgot all the effort you put in your project, all the hours you spent to make the game runs (better or worst) and much more.

Its a freegame. If you dont like the graphics, make a donation so the author could pay for a sprite artist  ;D

Jp

PS I forgot the topic. I saw the game and it looks much better than many other projects arround here. Needs some more work and maybe more detailed in the UI, but is nice to play.

red runner

I forgot to mention; I plan on graphically overhauling the GUI before I'm done. Right now, I'm working on getting all the rooms in the game.
  -Joseph Brophy

dirk delshire

The Game story outline in the opening post reminds me of Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars or Pikmin.
I looks like a fun game, I'm not sure how it will play but it would be cool if it had optional arcade areas like hover chase scenes.
OMEGA Works Lead Director
Sometimes the art defines the artist but I believe artist defines himself...

Jakerpot

Sorry if i made anyone sad  :( it wasn't my intention. It's because graphics is my central work on my games, this don't means i don't envolve story, puzzles & etc, but that my skills with drawing are better thatn others, so i can be very annoying when criticizing  :P

back in the subject: to improve it (if you want to improve it), use colors that combine, this means using a little more dark or a little more light tone of the same color, or adding a new collor with a similar tone, like yellow with orange, green with yellow-green (not full yellow, because it is much bright), orange with red and etc. I made a very very quick example (30 seconds to make) with a sand like texture on it. it has 4 diferent tones of yellow and orange mixed up using the paint spray tool. It is not bad, just for you have an idea on how to detail and make backgrounds more nicer/beautiful.

OBS: You could do something similar on the grass background, making a spray degradé between green and yellow

Gilbert

This is not C&C. These discussions don't belong here. :P

Actually personally I think the graphics are fine and functional, and would be better without adding those noises. :P

Jakerpot

ok, sorry then. Now i found myself trying to make the graphics in my style  ;D sorry.
This is not C&C  ??? Oh man...  ::) Sorry again!

red runner

UPDATE:
Okay, school's been hectic, but I've managed to get these up, showcasing the most recent backgrounds and my new, buggy and incomplete GUI!

-Joseph Brophy

CaptainD

Quote from: red runner on Tue 12/01/2010 23:06:12
UPDATE:

Yay, buggy and incomplete GUI!   ;D

This is beginning to look good, I'm glad to hear you're still working on it.  Just think of the feeling of accomplishment when you release the completed game!  (Something I'm never likely to achieve myself... ::))

For the record, I also think the graphics are fine.  If anyone complains about them, just roll your eyes and tell them that you deliberately made them retro.  That should shut them up - retro is cool (officially).  :D

Calin Leafshade

Space Captain Cindy should give Commander Keen his spaceship back :P

Looks rad man. Retro palettes always buzz people here.

red runner

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Thu 14/01/2010 18:42:18
Space Captain Cindy should give Commander Keen his spaceship back :P

Oh, you noticed that? Wasn't intentional, just sort of ended up that way, trying to get the whole thing to match up.

Thanks for the support, I'll keep working.
  -Joseph Brophy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk