SpriteJam: Robin Hood and his Merry Men - Winner Anounced

Started by Misj', Mon 15/06/2009 12:23:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

The goal of this weeks SpriteJam is to a sprite of a character in the Robin Hood universe. You may use any iteration of the story for your inspiration (and even expand upon them). There is however one additional rule: you must create two views of the same sprite.

So you can create both a front and side view of Little John, a 2/3rd view and a top view of Richard Lionheart, a portrait (talking) view and a back view of Maid Marian, Robin Hood in a suit of armour or in his green-forest-clothing...everything goes, but the more creative and the more distinct the views are the more likely you are to win.

Additional rules:
- 1:80 m = 25% of the Y-screen resolution (so 120 for a 640x480 resolution), but bigger and smaller characters are allowed.
- Any amount of colours is allowed, but bear in mind that it should be animatable, and good use of colours is advised.
- Jam ends 24th of June

As usual with my SpriteJams: multiple entries are allowed, and may increase your chances  of winning.

Have fun, and good Spriting!

EdLoen

Breaking out my newly restored netbook and  and opening up gimp, and in remembrance of a great parody, I present:

Ahchoo

x2
gesundheit

(8c+Transparency)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I decided to try drawing a semi-realistic portrait without a reference, so I apologize if it looks a bit odd.  Anyway, here's Robin Hood pointing out the Sheriff of Nottingham's 'disadvantage'.

I used 25 colors on the initial round with this and could reduce it to 18 without any real quality loss, but in case I don't get around to it I'm posting it now.

Edit:  Added a couple of wip companions, the lovely Maid Marian and the mighty Little John.

Arboris

Azeem from the movie  Prince of Thieves. I tried using as few colors as possible on this one. Total count came to 12 + the transparant color.
(And yes, I totally stole ProgZ's layout ;))

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

loominous

Last minute entry (of course):

The size of the chars makes the portraits rather superfluous I guess.
Looking for a writer

Misj'

In order of the posts:

EdLoen: There's a certain childlike quality to the sprite that I really like; particularly in it's simplicity and cuteness. The stance itself is a bit stiff for the side-view, but the sprite it - I think - very usable in a game, and I think that the style itself will attract quite a few players.

ProgZmax: There are a few things that bother me...but they are minor, and don't distract from the quality of the sprite itself. I'm a bit bothered by his trousers/tights, and his jacket feels to me like a solid green batman-like armour-plating (both of which may be intentional)...I do like that overall Robin looks like a ready-for-action hero. The talking-view-face looks slightly older/mature/worn out than I would have expected from the standing-sprite, but it would not distract from the game (since they are clearly the same person). Oh...and I don't like the font very much, but who cares?

Arboris: Well...Morgan Freeman has to be in everything nowadays (either he, or Angelina Jolie...or both).  I had to check what Azeem looked like in the movie; it's been a long time since I've seen it. And I must say that I think that your version fits the character very well; where - from the looks of it - the character was more important when developing the sprite than the actor who played it...and I think justly so. Both sprites have character.

Loominous: I first had to measure the sprite, but I think Robin would fit the criteria for a game at 1280 or higher Y-resolution...which is quite high, but not an entirely uncommon working-resolution nowadays. They do however still work well at half the resolution so... It's possibly a design-choice, but they do look like boys in their teens. Not necessarily a problem with the right story, but it was the first thing that caught my eye. If they were to mature during the course of the(fictional) game I would would have liked to see teen and twenty-something versions of the same character(s); particularly since indeed the talking-views do appear a bit superfluous as you already mentioned.

The winner of this weeks Jam is...

ProgZmax.

It wasn't an easy decision since I felt they all had very good qualities. But in the end ProgZ's sprite had me running through Sherwood Forest just a little bit more than the others.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It's a quilted leather tunic, which uses layers of cloth and leather sewn together (those diagonal lines) to form a lightweight and comfortable outfit with high flexibility and respectable defense.  It won't protect Robin from an arrow or a lucky stab, but slashing attacks from a rapier, dagger, or longsword would typically score the material without going through and doing him considerable harm.  I don't really see the disparity between the talking view face and his face based on the level of detail possible between them, and I definitely wanted him to look more rough and ready than youthful.  Not sure why his leather pants bothered you but they look just fine to me, so hooray!

Also, thanks!

Arboris

Well, I never meant it to look like Freeman indeed (I did get a few mentions it looks like a black Altair tho). All I wanted was something other then the generic "Robin Hood, little john, sheriff of nottingham" character. And altho Freeman pops up in allot of movies, in this he certainly was the most interesting character, watching Costner playing a Robin Hood with american accent was just ..yeah.

And congratulations ProgZmax

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk