Background Blitz - Results in!

Started by loominous, Thu 18/06/2009 17:32:23

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

"NOT QUITE HOW I PICTURED IT FROM THE BROCHURE"

Anything from a strange holiday resort to a boat in a peculiar condition for sale.
Feel free to include a pic from the brochure (not a requirement).

Restrictions: AGS compatible

Will end the 27th 12 AM GMT (greenwich)

Hope you have fun and good luck!
Looking for a writer

Privateer Puddin'

I should probably go back and do something to the buildings, I will if I have time.

Misj'

When I first read this Blitz' theme I thought: "what a terrible theme...how on Earth am I supposed to capture the character's disappointment within a single image that does not contain the character itself?" - Terrible, terrible theme. So then my mind started to wander, and some short story ideas started to develop in my head.

So my initial step is - as usual - to shape the ideas on paper. I generally prefer to use pen and paper over digital approaches, but I do use both at times. --- click here to see the sketch-phase ---

Ps. One of favourite ideas was about a vampire who ordered a vacation via the internet and found himself booked into a camping-site that turned out to be a garlic farm in the shape of a cross. I thought it was a fun story...but the problem was: the image wouldn't work without the back-story (or the main character), rather than an image that would tell the story on its own.

I feel I have to add a number of notes to this Blitz's piece. The first is that I'm experimenting a bit at the time. Last Blitz I looked at the use of textures...and wasn't too happy with the result. This time I'm experimenting with a less line-art dependant approach. Another thing is, that the way I envisioned this screen was more or less like the Monkey Island maps: in order to reduce walking-time this (and other) location is used for the player to choose where to go in the world. A little character would than stand at the last location that the player visited.

Ok, so you found this add in the local newspaper:

and you said to yourself: yes, I feel tired, my life...it's...I need to take a vacation, I need to turn my world up-side-down. So you booked a two-week-stay (for 145 florins) in one of those Australian-style cottages that looked so lovely in the add. Well...it wasn't entirely what you expected from the brochure.

--- click image for hotspots ---

Neil Dnuma

My creativity flew out the window. Another house.

Phemar

Haha I really like your idea, Misj.

loominous

Really nice entries everyone!

Let the voting begin!

Categories:

Idea:
Atmosphere:
Design: How well the elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle.
Technique: How well it's rendered, in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.
Looking for a writer

Neil Dnuma

Idea: Misj'. I like it. So much that my idea really is just a different version of it... The only thing I didn't like is that you're explaining it in the post... there's no need to, it's crystal clear :) Puddin'; I really didn't quite get your idea, so I feel I cannot vote for it. The animation (which is smooth) made me think of American Beauty of all things.
Atmosphere: Misj'. I like that you're experimenting with your style, even when you master the cartoonish style so well. I like how the colors work here.
Design: Misj' The cliffs, mountains and trees are ace. I kinda wish the tree in the foreground was more like the others... in honesty the foreground layer is the least exciting. But the image might benefit from that, the eyes are quickly dragged towards the house.
Composition: Misj'
Functionality: Privateer Puddin' I think the retro-style is very well done, down to the old-school well-sized walkable areas. Btw, I think the 2nd image works best, when the lower part is cropped off by the interface.
Technique:Misj' I think your experimenting was successful, and I hope you'll do more!

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Neil Dnuma on Mon 29/06/2009 00:28:29
Puddin'; I really didn't quite get your idea, so I feel I cannot vote for it. The animation (which is smooth) made me think of American Beauty of all things.

It's nothing specific, just something run down and crap, the opposite to what you'd see in (most?) brochures.

I'll edit my votes in later!

Atelier

Idea: Misj'
He included the brochure entry, otherwise the comedy element wouldn't be there/wouldn't be as effective, and also it was an original idea.
Atmosphere: Neil Dnuma
I like the warped effect in his background, especially the trees overhanging the little house.
Design: Misj'
Once again, I'm going to have to give a category to Misj'. The angular mountain peaks in the misted distance work well. :) I'm enjoying this critique stuff.
Composition: Misj'
The layered format creates a sense of depth that stands out from the others.
Functionality: Privateer Puddin'
It would be easy to define walkable areas, and the other two entries might have some difficulty doing so. (Even though they're still good :))
Technique: Misj'
The cartoon style works well. If you'd used any other style to do that background it might not have worked properly. :-\

My category placings being almost the same as Neil's, it goes to show how everybody's is good for different reasons. If it had been just a vote, I wouldn't be able to choose.

Misj'

Idea: Neil It made me smile...
Atmosphere: Neil It's difficult to create a nice and distinct atmosphere using the style Puddin' had chosen. Neil's piece (and style) conveyed much more emotion.
Design: Neil I particularly like that the house is surrounded by miniature trees as well. Puddin', it's a pity you didn't find the time to work a little more on the houses. I think that - within the chosen style - the deteriorated fountain in the town's square worked quite well.
Composition: Neil The (large) trees next to the house function well as arrows. I would have liked something on the right side of the image as well to direct my eye tough. Puddin', the fountain is a bit too dead-centre to be really pleasing (composition-wise).
Functionality: Puddin' It's a proven style, and he shows what an in-game picture would look like. In the other two entries walking-space (and possibly other functionality as well) suffered in service of the composition.
Technique: Neil If Puddin' would have had the time to finish the houses a bit, while staying within the choosen style I think I would have given this one to him. But as it is, Neil's piece has a much more finished feel to it.

loominous

The results:

Most overall amount of votes: Misj'

Most idea votes: Misj'
Most atmosphere votes: Neil Dnuma
Most composition votes: Misj'
Most functionality votes: Privateer Puddin'
Most technique votes: Misj'

Few but very nice entries!
Looking for a writer

Misj'

Quote from: loominous on Wed 01/07/2009 11:37:49
The results:
Most overall amount of votes: Misj'

Few but very nice entries!

Unfortunately there was little competition (in quantity, not quality)...I'll start a new Blitz later today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk