Hourgame Saturday, October 17 (Winners)

Started by Gord10, Fri 16/10/2009 19:12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

You guys can use http://shutupload.com for uploading games as well. Free, unlimited space and bandwidth, no wait times, etc. I own it. ;)

thecatamites

finished cutoff and the original version of monster in the sea. the latter is ahead of everyone else in terms of actually including gameplay but lost points because i thought the moustache was just a set of giant spider legs. the good ending was cool though. also gonna give props to cutoff for the nice touch of having everyone arbitrarily speak like nineteenth century english gentlemen. nice work both of you!  ;)

gonna play seasorrow now!
Games 4 Schools Dot Com play games made for schools and teens to lkearn

AngelicCharon

A little late, but here goes:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=78BFH38H
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kar987

The rushed version of...THE CREATURE FROM BENEATH THE SEA!

Bulbapuck

Quote from: thecatamites on Sat 17/10/2009 20:21:28
finished cutoff and the original version of monster in the sea. the latter is ahead of everyone else in terms of actually including gameplay but lost points because i thought the moustache was just a set of giant spider legs. the good ending was cool though. also gonna give props to cutoff for the nice touch of having everyone arbitrarily speak like nineteenth century english gentlemen. nice work both of you!  ;)

gonna play seasorrow now!
The mustasch is the brown thing, he has spiderlegs. Thanks though  :)

Gord10

Thanks everyone for your entries!

My personal favourite is bicilotti's Sea Sorrow, because I loved the atmosphere and plot. The visuals achieve reflecting the sorrow of our protagonist despite their simplicity.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

thecatamites

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Sat 17/10/2009 20:26:17
The mustasch is the brown thing, he has spiderlegs. Thanks though  :)

i still can't see it! i can see a cut-off piece of brown near the top of the mouth but that's it. i must need to update my moustache drivers. still, i will give you the benefit of the doubt and add 5 "tachepoints" to your gamer club card.

anyway i really liked the graphics and atmosphere of seasorrow but i'm not sure if it's finished or not? it's quite hard to click on things (well, the fish, anyway). it got my attention though. the creature from beneath the sea is my favourite entry so far due to services rendered in the field of extremely perverse game design choices.

IndieBoy

Not another one :'(
I think I'll just need to quit my job and learn not to make myself dinner at this time so I can enter for once.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

bicilotti

My choice is Bulbapuck's Monster in the sea. There is animation, subtle hints on how attractive giant octopus-esque things can be (or better, their moustache), multiple endings and most importantly, gameplay.

Dataflashsabot

Okay, brief reviews in the random order that I downloaded them in:

Monster in the sea: It had animation, you can
Spoiler
pull down a raging infernal star in two different ways
[close]
, and the monster had a moustache.

Sea Sorrow: I loved the graphics and music, but it was a bit too pixel-hunty.

The Creature from Beneath the Sea: Very simple, but nice artwork and the dialouge was amusing.

A Squid With a View: I liked the graphics style (I usually hate the photo-montage style, but somehow I really liked it here) and it made me laugh.

My final choice is Bulbapuck's Monster in the Sea, because moustaches. Good job everyone! I enjoyed this, I'll be doing it again sometime :)

bicilotti

Quote from: thecatamites on Sat 17/10/2009 20:45:08
anyway i really liked the graphics and atmosphere of seasorrow but i'm not sure if it's finished or not? it's quite hard to click on things (well, the fish, anyway). it got my attention though. the creature from beneath the sea is my favourite entry so far due to services rendered in the field of extremely perverse game design choices.

There is quite a pixel hunt
Spoiler
you have to take the ring on the bottom right of the screen, It's easier if you play it windowed.
[close]

thecatamites

oh, i finished it now! uh, yeah, that was some pixel hunt. i really liked the graphics though!

but yeah im voting for the creature from beneath the sea because i really liked the (literally) multiple endings.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: thecatamites on Sat 17/10/2009 20:45:08
i still can't see it! i can see a cut-off piece of brown
You're right, I seem to have cutoff the moustasch.. Not an hourgame without a blunder I guess :=  Here it is:
..mmm..moustasch.
Some great entries on this one! :D I enjoyed the games a lot!

My vote goes to biciotti's Sea sorrow because of the great graphics and music! A really great game (though noobish me got stuck for a while on that pixelhunt, I didn't even see it ::))

Great job guys! And many thanks for the kind words and votes :)

AngelicCharon

First off, thanks Gord for running it this week, was fun.

Thanks to my fellow competitors for their wonderful entries...

And thanks TheCatamites for not only your vote, but comments...you too DataFlashsabot.

That aside, a vote.  I wouldn't vote for my own (for many logistical reasons)...and in my opinion, it really does come down to Sea Sorrow or Monster in the Sea (not discounting other entries...).  Sea Sorrow was fantastic in so far as a minimalized aesthetic, fantastic music, etc...but while it started off strong, the pixel hunt and the somewhat rushed like ending kind of soured the rest of the experience a smidge.  But only a smidge.

Monster in the Sea on the other hand has a bit of humour, a bit of gameplay, and two ways of getting an ending. 

Again, don't get me wrong, A Squid With a View and Cutoff were great in and of themselves, especially for hour games.

My vote though?  I'll go with Monster in the Sea.  Only by a moustache hair though, since Sea Sorrow was great from an atmosphere perspective.

Oh, small plug...I'll upload a 'deluxe edition' of The Creature From Beneath The Sea tomorrow...some minor revisions and tweaks I didn't have time in the hour to do...nothing revolutionary...things like a title screen, ending(s) screens...more 'options'/interactivity that matters...etc.

TerranRich

My vote is for AngelicCharon's game, The Creature From Beneath the Sea.

But shouldn't this be in the Competitions & Activities forum?

Gord10

I don't think anyone is going to vote more, I guess GMT 07:00 PM is a good time to announce the winner (which is 3 hours and 15 minutes after this post).

And yes, the best place for these threads are the Competition & Activities section. Let's start the next threads there.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

NsMn

Gord10

Sorry, I have remembered to draw trophies in the middle of studying, they are a bit rushed. The sea dragons are drawn over the famous Caduceus and this is the Cthulhu reference I've used. 

AngelicChaos and Bulbapuck shares the first rank while bicilotti receives the second rank award.

Thanks to thecatamites, Bulbapuck, Dataflashsabot, bicilotti, AngelicCharon for participating!
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

bicilotti

Cthulhuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Let me cuddle it!

Bulbapuck

wheee ^^ first rank! Thanks everyone! Special thanks to Gord for hosting and being awesome at drawing!

I'll send a PM to AngelicCharon about the hosting for next week. See y'all then ;)

AngelicCharon

First off, congrats to everyone!

Secondly, thanks everyone who voted, and participated!

Definitely thanks to Gord for hosting/drawn trophies/the like...

Bulba and I have discussed things now via PM, and it's been decided that I'll be hosting this upcoming Saturday - if but to allow Bulba to properly participate. :)

So, I look forward to seeing people then!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk