Time Gentlemen, Please!

Started by thezombiecow, Mon 22/06/2009 14:58:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Great fun! To those who say that this is up there with the classic LucasArts titles... well, my first reaction is that that seems about right. Will it hold up 10-15 years from now? Who knows? But right now that looks quite plausible. Congratulations and kudos, guys!

I did face one technical glitch that forced me to kill the app and reload from my latest save:

Spoiler
I walked over to the computer and tried to insert the floppy just as Dan was walking there. Somehow he got trapped in the corner, and I couldn't get past him to complete the action. Ben and Dan just kept bumping into each other indefinitely, there was nothing I could do (since I didn't even have the cursor). Lost about an hour's progress that way. Fortunately replaying is much quicker.
[close]

Quite a lot of the puzzles were pretty tough for me, but in most cases I could see the hints in retrospect. The one thing that seemed unfair was:

Spoiler
The pig's tail as a separate hotspot. How was I supposed to realize that?
[close]

Trihan

I'm loving this so far, though unfortunately I just hit a snag where I tried to exit PAL's basement and got stuck in an infinite walking loop, and I haven't saved at all...

Back to the beginning I go!

ThreeOhFour

I finally finished it  :D

Some of the puzzles took me a fair while to figure out, but that's by no means a bad thing - I felt that the puzzles were for the most part all very well designed. I really liked some of your ideas - particularly the text adventure.

Good show, and I really look forward to buying the next game from you chaps!

blueskirt

Best. AGS. game. ever. And I totally mean it.

Like with the previous game, it got the thousands of different messages for every action/object/hotspots possibilities, the totally awesome graphics and animations and bajillion jokes, on top of that you add the music, those awesome little emotions on Ben's and Dan's faces during conversations, and the best puzzles I have ever seen in an indie adventure game and in many adventure games from the golden days as a matter of fact, it's quite possibly the first time an adventure game actually got close to the brilliant puzzle design of Day Of The Tentacle.

My favorite moments:
Spoiler
The frantic moment where Ben is unconscious and begining on Anubis the fun skyrockets and never stop 'til the end credits.
-Edit-
How could I forget? Every times the Wits, Fists and Stealth path were mentionned. That was brilliant!
[close]
I can't find anything bad to say about that game. It's flawless.

MillsJROSS

Great stuff! I remembered really enjoying the first game you made, and it isn't often that a sequel meets expectations, but you managed to do it. There was very little I didn't like in this game. So little, that I can't even remember what I didn't like.

You guys do an excellent job of polish. It's always the little things that make a game great. There were so many times I was caught off guard and thought to myself "I can't believe they coded for this. Excellent!" It truly is refreshing to see object x and object y mix together and not get a generic message about how those objects don't mix.

Give yourselves a pat on the back, and then get back to working on another game. I'll certainly buy the third installment!

-MillsJROSS

thezombiecow

Hello! Thanks for all your support everyone - hope all of you that bought TGP have enjoyed it. Thought some of you might be interested in some of the lovely press the game's been getting.

There's a ton of links to reviews here, including Eurogamer's glowing 9/10 and Wired's description of it as an 'indie masterpiece'. PCZone recently gave it 90% and a Classic Award, and PCGamer gave it 87%. We're also in IGN's 'Top Games of 2009 So Far', which is exciting news. There's more to come in the next month or so, too...

So all going very well so far. Not a millionaire quite yet, I'm afraid. Sorry, this post just sounds like horrendous showboating now, I didn't really intend that.

Vince Twelve

Quote from: thezombiecow on Fri 14/08/2009 11:53:29
Not a millionaire quite yet, I'm afraid.

Maybe if you'd actually charge some money for it and not give it away for near-free, thus giving a bad rap to all us other commercial game makers who are going to try to fleece every last cent out of our customers' pockets.  Commies!

(I don't think it's necessary, but just in case, better include a smiley, right?)  ;D

...Of course I paid, (and donated!) and still have not found the time to play this game... The installer icon looks great though, guys.  For reals.

thezombiecow

I genuinely worked longer and harder getting that icon right than I probably should have. :)

Frodo

Having absolutely loved Ben There Dan That, and also playing demo for this game, I finally went ahead and ordered Time Gentlemen Please.   ;D

But it won't let me download it.   :(
The link I received just doesn't want to work.   :'(

Dan, I sent you email about this.  

EDIT
Thanks for the quick reply Dan, and for resetting the download link.   ;D
Cute wee desktop icon.  And I love the whole 'Previously on BTDT' thing.  All the coments that Ben & Dan make about things are wonderful - not just a generic 'I can't do that' kind of thing.  Wonderful!

Thankyou.    :D

Matti

Now that this thread is on top again, I guess I can give in my two cents too..

TGP was the first and only game I ordered online (and I think the only one I paid for since 2000 or something). I'm only half way through and don't have much time these days but I like it so far, it's worth the few bucks (4.41 â,¬ for me). There's a bit too much (silly) dialogs for my taste, but most of it is rather fun to read, so it's not really a problem.

Well, gotta finish it sometimes.. and I still have to play BTDN (which I only played half way through too), so thanks for the flashback intro.

m0ds

...but I already came in 2009?

I haven't played this yet, and don't have the money for it right now, but it's definitely on my "to steal" list :)

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

ThreeOhFour

Hooray!

I already nagged one friend who loves buying Steam games and they agreed to purchase it!  :D

Cryxo

Well done you! To get one's game on Steam is like winning the national lottery. First AGS game on Steam?
Currently working on "My Neighbour is a Serial Killer"
with a certain friend of mine called Geork.

Huw Dawson

I really think this is a major achievement and a huge boost to the AGS community, so I made a topic on Adventure Related Talk and Chat for folks to pat you lot on the back in. Amazing achievement guys.

- Huw
Post created from the twisted mind of Huw Dawson.
Not suitible for under-3's due to small parts.
Contents may vary.

magintz

Quote from: Cryxo on Wed 26/08/2009 10:01:00
Well done you! To get one's game on Steam is like winning the national lottery. First AGS game on Steam?

Yes, although Dave Gilbert had ECC on Steam despite it not being made in AGS that is still and achievement.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Ali

Many congratulations chaps! Now if you would just share out your fame among the rest of us...

I recently finished the game, and it's another fine piece of work - with a little bit of character development too. I loved the hilarious facial expressions, and Dan's near-death experiences at the start were great. I would have loved to see them reccur throughout the game. As with BTDT, the multiplicity of responses for incorrect guesses made it fun to fail. Plus the 'Racism' slider was the first settings-menu joke I've seen since Curse of Monkey Island. Bravo!

The music was also very nice and the particles added an oddly effective slickness to the whole package. I also loved the sprite of the adventurer - he has the voice of Dixon Bainbridge in my mind.

I regret that I am compelled to add that the game had a little too much comic animal cruelty for Nelly's tastes (my actual girlfriend, not the cartoon version of her on my computer). Cruelty against other another species is a bit like racism, so maybe it was my fault for putting the slider up to maximum.

Overall, well done - bring on episodic adventures!

Krimson

Best £3 I ever spent! This just may be the funniest game I've ever played. Damn near every line was a hit, and I loved that fact that not once when I tried to use Item(x) on Item(y) was I greeted with the response: "That doesn't work." Even if you're no closer to solving a puzzle, the constant witty banter greatly mitigated the frustration factor. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes!

Also, Ben and Dan kind of remind me of cruder versions of Dick and Dom, BBC's anarchic (children's :-[) television presenters. Admittedly, I haven't seen or heard of them for near 5 years now, but the memory remains.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk