Death Wore Endless Feathers - New Screenshots (10/3/2015)

Started by Scavenger, Mon 22/06/2009 23:58:28

Previous topic - Next topic

PuNKKoMmANDO77

Scavenger

This project isn't dead yet! I have been working tirelessly on it all summer. I don't want to give too much away at the moment, so here's a selection of what's been going on.

Some concepts for a new background aesthetic.

Limited animation closeup mattes. This one hasn't been set into the game yet, since the background behind him is still a temporary lightmap. His eyes, mouth, and arms will be animated. This is Sugar Loop, one of the original members of Black Sun, when the player first meets him in the flesh - at an old arcade machine.

This is Desiree, the game's femme fatale, walking and showing off her.. uh.. assets. She was the most difficult to animate, as she isn't strictly a cartoon.

Igor Hardy

ThreeOhFour

I agree - It's great to see this is still going along.

GreenBoy

Awesome.  Good to hear this is still being made, I really enjoyed the first one.

Jimbob

I was just thinking about this the other day. Awesome news that it's well on to getting another chapter...
Current Project: A Hard Day's Knight

Jared

Awesome, I was worried this project had just faded away...

Scavenger

It's encouraging that people were thinking of this game even when it vanished! It spurs me ever forward. Even now, the whole thing is taking a more organised shape than it has ever done.

But while I'm reforming and reviewing, were there any parts in the original game people didn't like? Parts that people thought "Heck, this game would be better if it weren't for this thing!". And parts that people want to see more of? If I knew, I'd be able to revise it for the final game.

Bulbapuck

I could watch that side view all day....
..!!!! I mean... ummm.... Nice backgrounds :=

Igor Hardy

I loved the entire disk 1 and didn't notice any need for improvements or change of style... except for Jakob's walkcycle.

There was really something grating on the eyes in the way the front and back view switched to the side views - it always felt to me not like he turned, but like he teleported to a different position. Possibly it was some incompatibility of his visual weight and the quickness of the turn, but I'm not sure.

I'm curious if anyone else felt something is wrong.

Scavenger

Quote from: Ascovel on Thu 23/09/2010 19:49:35
I loved the entire disk 1 and didn't notice any need for improvements or change of style... except for Jakob's walkcycle.

There was really something grating on the eyes in the way the front and back view switched to the side views - it always felt to me not like he turned, but like he teleported to a different position. Possibly it was some incompatibility of his visual weight and the quickness of the turn, but I'm not sure.

I'm curious if anyone else felt something is wrong.

Yeah, I'd love to put a little turn animation in for him and other characters, since the transition is a little grating -  I'd prefer something like Broken Sword's turning (with actual turning frames rather than the standing frame). I'm not sure HOW I'd implement it, though. Maybe that's why people have waif-like leads most of the time. :P

abstauber

Wow Scavanger, Desiree's animation is amazing!
I'm dying to see her back walk animation :D

Awesome work!

Azure

www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Scavenger

I thought I'd update this thread with some assets I've been working on, it might keep me from slipping :P. Unfortunately no new backgrounds, as all I have to work with at the moment is MSPaint and Microsoft GIF animator (my computer is in for repairs, rage!), so I might as well show my work.

Ollie's updated design:

Yes, she's now recognisably a human, not a marionette with softballs up front. She also contrasts more with Desiree now, being more tomboyish and casual. She's also MUCH easier to animate, thanks to her hair.

Diagonal Walk cycles!

Good news: Fully animated jiggle physics!
Bad news: Lack of busty women to apply them to!
Very bad news:

Loop has a walk cycle. :P Well, that's good news, really. Walking is healthy!

Anyway, that's a flavor of what I've been working on for Death Wore Endless Feathers.

I've actually been working on a whole lot more, but I can't show you without spoiling the entire game.

Igor Hardy

All the improvements look great - remarkable attention to detail.

Just don't kill yourself with all that subtle animation work - I don't think even games like Day of The Tentacle or Full Throttle had walkcycles this carefully animated.

markbilly

The animation is fantastic!

And it all oozes character! :)

Scavenger

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 24/10/2010 21:39:25
All the improvements look great - remarkable attention to detail.

Just don't kill yourself with all that subtle animation work - I don't think even games like Day of The Tentacle or Full Throttle had walkcycles this carefully animated.

Well, these are walk cycles, they need lots of subtleties to make sure the player doesn't get bored of it. And I want to impress people, too. Just going through the motions (heh) isn't enough.

Talking of, here's an improvement on the worst animation that was in Disk 1, Jakob's forward walk!

theo

Great job on those walk cycles, man!

I realize what insane amounts of work must lie behind making them feel that good. (I too found the forward walk cycle to be the trickiest, it's a very odd thing to animate isn't it?!)

I like your backdrops too, though I believe they could use some brightness/contrast tweaks and some cleaning up - but in essence the magic is already in them, and that's the tricky part!

I hope you keep the passion for this project boiling, I am very much looking forward to its release.

Sslaxx

Quite like the way this one looks! Hope this doesn't cause you too much grief to complete.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk