Death Wore Endless Feathers - New Screenshots (10/3/2015)

Started by Scavenger, Mon 22/06/2009 23:58:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

This looks great, wow, I've been meaning to let you know long time. I really like the new style on the backgrounds, and I'm terribly looking forward to this!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

mkennedy

So will the game have character portraits? That would be a cool addition.

Scavenger

Quote from: mkennedy on Fri 19/11/2010 21:52:54
So will the game have character portraits? That would be a cool addition.

Only when really necessary, if at all. I really don't like the Sierra style portraits for talking, they take up a huge amount of screen real estate. But if I was to include them, I'd probably do it when the characters can't move or emote properly on screen (like if their back is turned in a matte).

There are portraits in the bottom right hand corner of the new GUI, to act as the "Use on Player" button. It'll also probably act as the character's general mood (ala IHNMAIMS). But not for talking.

Scavenger

I felt the backgrounds were weakest in the last version of the game. Now they are not. It's amazing what painting at 320x200 can do for the details. You can really get stuck in there and work it like pixel art rather than traditional painting.

Now if only the writing could go as smoothly as the art. I'm having trouble pinning down puzzles and plot, though I have the majority of it done (in the design document I had earlier). Once the links between plot points have been fully fleshed out, work will become a lot easier.

Though if anyone wants to have a stab at looking it over for me, I'd be much obliged. I'm afraid I'm not much of a game designer yet.

Igor Hardy

I'm kinda missing the old crazy 8-bit colors in the backgrounds - they added a great, retro-like vibe to DWEF's cyberpunk world.

markbilly

That looks excellent. And bear in mind, Igor, that's a small indoor room. I'm sure Scavenger can bring in some crazy colours for the larger exterior scenes, with neons lights and things... :)

Kaelem Gaen

Wow, first time I've heard of this (Or the first game) and I have to say it looks awesome.  I can't wait for the release.
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

Scavenger

It's not all remakes here in the production of DWEF. Here is a suburb on the outskirts of the city. Very rustic, very open, unlike the cramped inner city we've seen so far. This is where the normal folk live.

But not all is as it seems in this happy little burb. You'll see why in Disk 2.

Just thought it would be nice to present all new content.

QuoteI'm kinda missing the old crazy 8-bit colors in the backgrounds - they added a great, retro-like vibe to DWEF's cyberpunk world.

Actually, looking back at the game, I think most of the crazy colour choices were because my monitor was uncalibrated. I can't bear to look at the sprites in the old version, simply because they were that oversaturated.

Never fear, though, the neon aesthetic will return in the exterior scenes in the city. It'll just be easier on the eyes. I'm still using a 256 colour palette, though.

theo

looks good man! Don't be afraid to throw some light on the ground from those streetlights.

Scavenger

Update: Battle system has been fully programmed and implemented. To spice up the game, I added random battles and a levelling up system, so people don't get bored with it.

There are only two playable characters at a time, so left click controls Jakob, and right click controls Ollie. Just mouse over their target and choose your action, verbcoin style!

Armageddon

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but in this image.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2035/outsidesubway.png

Is that a nod towards Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome? ;D

Great looking game though, can't wait to play. The house reminds me of the one from the Sam and Max TV show.

mkennedy

Looking good! So will you be able to engage in combat with anyone on the street or will your opponents have to attack you first?

Scavenger

Quote from: mkennedy on Fri 01/04/2011 13:09:20
Looking good! So will you be able to engage in combat with anyone on the street or will your opponents have to attack you first?

Opponents will regularily attack you. In fact, there is a 9/10 chance any step will lead to a random battle.

It will be intense.

TomatoesInTheHead

When I defeat an opponent, can I pick up his or her clothing/items and customize my player character? That would be cool!

Scavenger

Quote from: TomatosInTheHead on Fri 01/04/2011 13:41:42
When I defeat an opponent, can I pick up his or her clothing/items and customize my player character? That would be cool!

Yes, in one beta test we left every NPC in their underwear and stacked their clothing on the player model. It ruined the tension of some of the scenes, so we removed the ability to stack clothing.

Scavenger

!!HUGE UPDATE!!

Game is back in production on an official capacity. Check first post for prettier screenshots and less outdated information. More screenshots forthcoming as they get tightened up to my satisfaction.

OG

Takyon

This was one of the first AGS games I ever delayed. Really happy to see this back in production.
ghost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk