Discussion about broken game links and other stuff

Started by Abisso, Fri 10/07/2009 15:24:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

It would be perfect for the AGS database.

Also one to check the image when it's loading would be nice too, then replace it with an AGS "no image available" image.
I've noticed Lots of games have broken images lately even the well known game Nelly Cootalot has a broken image.

Ali

Thanks for the tip-off Ryan. It seems 2dadventure finally deleted the image. Nelly should have an active screenshot now!

Abisso

Ok, now the problem is actually a real one. Unfortunately, my web-host is terrible, and sometimes it happens that the download stops at a certain point, before the entire file is downloaded. Obviously, the resulting file is corrupt.

I've never been able to understand when that happens, and if it also has to do with the browser used.

The only thing I can suggest is to try a lot of times, until the filesize matches the one reported on the site (or until the archive isn't corrupt).

And, if you want, Indieboy, I can send the game to you by email.

P.S. I believed I've answered some days ago. The problem is that I answered in another topic.  ;D
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

IndieBoy

I got the game now, but thanks anyway Abisso. I must of been trying on an "off day" or something.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

PStache

Speaking of broken links, I'm new to the board and decided to read the "READ FIRST" post in the Beginners Technical Forum before posting (who wudda thought!)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=14373.0

And while clicking some of the links, I was pretty surprised to find myself being redirected to "americangirlscouts.org".  Not exactly the "AGS" I was expecting!  I know it's a two-year-old post, but it's still a post that gets plenty of traffic.

LimpingFish

The americangirlscouts.org domain is part of an old joke, due to AGS being applicable to both the Adventure Game Studio and the...well, you get the point.

It's where the AGS Wiki resides, among other things, though some links to pages on it may be out of date.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Crimson Wizard

Sorry if I missed something, but I have this question. My game page has this message about broken link. I checked this and found that download mirror link is broken, in fact, but primary link is working. So, I fixed mirror link, but what should I do to make that shameful message to dissapear? Should I report someone of AGS moderators that I fixed it or else?

My game: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=&action=detail&id=1222

Pumaman

I've fixed that for you, at the moment there isn't a proper process for reporting that the link is fixed because it mainly applies to old games where the game author has long since disappeared :)

tzachs

Hmmm, it seems that my game also has the annoying "link is broken" message. I've just tested the link from 2 different computers and it worked ok for me...

game link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1221

Can a moderator verify and remove the message, please?

Thanks...

LimpingFish

tzachs,

It was actually marked as broken because eSnips, where your game is hosted, doesn't allow downloads without first signing in. Since not everybody has an eSnips account, it unfortunately makes it difficult for those people who don't to download your game.

This is stated in the panel comment.

If you need an alternative download location, you could try either of the following:

www.filefront.com
www.gamejolt.com

Neither site requires a sign-in to download, which should make it easier for people to obtain your game. :)

Ryan Timothy B

This would probably be the best place of any to report this.  Google and me running Avast have both set this games image as malicious.  There was some kind of an attack on the site it that was hosting the image or possibly even game.

Cougar's Quest for Freedom  (game number: 744)

I'd post a link, but that's probably not the best idea.  I found it through searching the games and the warning pops up just from the broken image.
I was going to pm the owner to inform him but he hasn't been on in over a year.

tzachs

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 09/01/2010 23:11:02
tzachs,

It was actually marked as broken because eSnips, where your game is hosted, doesn't allow downloads without first signing in. Since not everybody has an eSnips account, it unfortunately makes it difficult for those people who don't to download your game.

Are you sure about that? I just tried from a third computer which definitely does not have an eSnips account and it didn't ask me to sign in or anything...
Anyways, I'll upload the game to another place just to be sure (when I'll get home), and I'll pm you LimpingFish, if that's ok.
Thanks.

Ryan Timothy B

Tzachs, it worked for me and I've never once signed up to download something from a hosting site. 
It's downloading right now but it's very slow, which would be one reason why I'd consider changing it.

LimpingFish

Quote from: tzachs on Sun 10/01/2010 09:13:21
Are you sure about that? I just tried from a third computer which definitely does not have an eSnips account and it didn't ask me to sign in or anything...
Anyways, I'll upload the game to another place just to be sure (when I'll get home), and I'll pm you LimpingFish, if that's ok.
Thanks.

That is strange. I couldn't get it to download even with cookies enabled, Adblock Plus disabled, and various other changes. I kept getting forwarded to the eSnips login page. I'm using Firefox, though I can't see how that would matter. Another game author had this problem with eSnips, as seen here - http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=39676.0 - so it would seem that some, but not all, people are having trouble. It may indeed to better to find a replacement, or just an alternative mirror.

If you do decide to upload it elsewhere, or to add a mirror download, I'll be happy to immediately change it's status back to working. Dropping me a pm is fine. :)

tzachs

A happy ending, I replaced the hosts and the message was removed...
Thank you LimpingFish and Ryan...

Ryan Timothy B

I may as well post this here as well.

The game: AMTAG: another medieval themed adventure game, has an image that requires a username and password, just from accessing it's game page.

This is one reason why I think images should at least be stored on the AGS site.  I can't see that taking up too much space.  Uploading them to a Blob on a PHP table (I'm just learning about this stuff from random internet research the other day, so I may be saying it wrong), or something similar to that.  I understand the games not being part of the server, but the images I can't see taking up too much space or bandwidth.  It almost seems like an 1/8 of the images are broken.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk