Heed

Started by ThreeOhFour, Wed 15/07/2009 13:14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

An encounter with a strange spirit and an even stranger fly leave a traveler with questions about purpose, fate and the source.

Follow this traveler as they seek to find something more from their life and find their true purpose.

Download now!

The following people have my sincere thanks for various reasons:

Sebastian Pfaller, for putting up with my erratic game creation habits and always being willing to make music.

Arj0n and monkey_05_06 for testing the game and giving me lots of feedback and useful suggestions about how I could improve the game.

loominous, Misj' and TheJBurger, for various pieces of advice, both big and small, that helped me make this game.

Peder Johnsen, for keeping me motivated and hosting my games.

Chris Jones, for his most wonderful engine.

And lastly, but not leastly, everyone who followed me on this experiment. I really do appreciate it.

abstauber

Yay, downloading :)

edit:
...and played. Well that was more like an art experience than a game, but a very lovely one.

Story and atmosphere are great, too bad that it' already over again.

monkey0506

So should I take a look at the final then Ben? :D

You're definitely welcome. My pleasure. Anytime. ;)

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 15/07/2009 13:40:55
So should I take a look at the final then Ben? :D

You're definitely welcome. My pleasure. Anytime. ;)

If you take pleasure in seeing your name in credits ;)

But yes, there are some definite changes. And thanks - hopefully next time won't be too far away.

arj0n

Quote from: Ben304 on Wed 15/07/2009 13:50:16
But yes, there are some definite changes.
Then I definitely will play it again.

Vukul

Very nice work. Indeed, that's why sometimes we call games an "Art".
Purposeful, sourceful and essenceful... and leaves much to think over...

During the game a couldn't but think, that if the Myst were hand-drawn - it would have been something like this!

kaputtnik

Alright! Hooray for spiritual enlightenment and non-kafkaesque insect metamorphosis! And high five for temporal layers!
I, object.

Matti

Cool!

I loved the backgrounds you posted in the critics lounge.. and now there's the game. Downloading!

Babar

I heeded.
Now I can see!
Or am I just showing the way for others to see?
Can they see?

Woah....interesting....game? :D
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Anian

Wow, very good and very entertaining as always. I usually don't comment your games 304 but just to let you know, I do enjoy them.

Funny thing, the first thought I had when the music started was - that sounds like Fallout.  ;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

miguel

Wow! Another game by Ben!!!
I'm downloading it! Can't wait to try it out!
--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm loving the game Ben, it's different in a good way and I'm already stuck on the 3 statue puzzle ;D
Graphics are really beautiful and  considering the low res it was made it's a master piece!
I also like the concept and the philosophical approach works well with the atmosphere.
The music gets a bit in my head, not that its bad, I think you could have it fade and unfade.
Well, great job!

Working on a RON game!!!!!

TheJBurger

Congrats on the release!

And thanks for mentioning my name in the credits, that's very nice of you.  ;D

Dualnames

You're killing the competition on short based games competition, you know that?!  ;D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Matti

Just finished it.

That was a strange experience... and a strange game, if you can call it that. But I like it, the atmosphere works well and I really dig these backgrounds.. and the characters as well. Most parts of the music added much to the atmosphere too. I also really liked the twist in the middle when the player becomes the fly.

As for the esoteriligiousophical context: ...well, it was interesting.. ;)

I'd like to see some kind of sequel (I really like that style) with more lenght and more puzzles.

FrasierCrane

Hey Ben, I just finished your game and I really loved it (as your other games). It was for sure a new gaming experience. It's a good thing that you always seek some new and fresh ideas for every game you make.
I found the atmosphere especially striking; it reminded me of Loom at the beginning (,which is a very good thing).  Another thing I really liked was the music: Remixing these old records of the 1900s is a wonderful idea (just listened to some of the original recordings on www.archive.org - it's a cool page).
Keep on making this fantastic games!
"Who dares enter the dark labyrinth of the human mind?"

Takyon

Loved the art style although I feel the characters don't really match up with it but I hope there's more game with this style soon :)
ghost.

TheJBurger

Rock Paper Shotgun wrote an article about you: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/16/take-heed/

Congrats.  :=

Wayne Adams

Masterfully done, dude.. my only small crit is that music began to scrape across my brain....

Other than that.. it was a wonderful presentation.

GarageGothic

Beautiful little game. I somehow missed the announcements on the forums and instead found it through its mention over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Loved the graphics (the development of which I've followed in the critics lounge), the use of turn-of-the-century music recordings, the priority of story over puzzles and just the atmosphere of the whole thing. Truly a unique experience. Will give your previous games a try when I have the time.

monkey0506

You've got yourself a nice, creepy little following there Ben. Reviewed on the same day as its release? :D

I definitely enjoyed this game, and as I said I would love to see more like this. Haven't checked out that music yet...I should really download this and play through it again.

By the way Ben I don't think I ever told you, but I didn't need the walkthrough after all. I did get a little stuck on some of the puzzles for a bit, but I was able to get through okay.

EDIT: Just played through for the third time. Nice to see that both of my valid points were properly addressed! :D And I don't know if the music was in the beta or not as I just discovered the speakers were apparently unplugged... ??? ...but the music definitely did add..."essence" to the game...great work (again) Ben.

Y'know though...I keep up all this testing people might start to think that I've ever actually worked on a game...haha.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk