Rune Quest

Started by Fireball16, Sun 26/07/2009 10:37:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Calm down first. You're acting like a 16 year old, secondly, I suggest you open a word document and start typing all those ideas. Make what's called a design document, when you;re done with it, post it here. And we'll comment more constintent on your ideas. As an engine AGS can make puzzle games (check Colourwise), can make platform games (Platformerius), it can make shitty games (check my profile).
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Quote from: Fireball16 on Sun 26/07/2009 18:02:00
i want to put it on a websiteI'm making so it needs to be good

Arrgh.

Then MAKE it good. AGS is a tool. You can use it to make good, even really great games. But it is a TOOL. You can't buy a box of pencils and instantly be a great artist, and you can'd buy a book and call yourself an author.

Usually, a game starts with an idea. If your idea is about a boy and fighting gigathingies, then that is a start. Could be good, could be bad, but it's a start.
Now that you have an idea about what your game is about, you will need to make it.

And that means: You will need to learn how to use AGS. You will need to draw and animate backgrounds and sprites. You will need some sound effects and maybe music.

A short AGS game can take anything from a day to a couple of weeks, and that is when you know what you are doing.

There's a saying: "Never publish your first game", and another one: "Start small". If you think AGS is to be your tool, then start small. Make a small, one-room game where a character needs to pick up a key and open a chest with it. That will already teach you a lot.
Spend some time refining your idea. Write a plot. Draw some characters/backgrounds and post them in the Critic's Lounge.

But realise that even AGS is no magic wand that you can rub against your screen and have an awesome game happen within two minutes.

That might sound harsh, but it isn't. There are people here who spend a lot of time making their games, crafting everything up, and I happen to be one of them. What you seem to think is that all you need is a name, and the rest is done by gremlins. It sounds naive and, honestly, a bit like you're doing it on purpose. If you don't, accept my apologies, and take my best wishes.

You clearly lack theoretical knowledge though, let's not get started on the actual game-making. Google some of these:
* game design / adventure game design / design documentation
* 2d art / video game sprites
* animation / walk cycle
* snowflake method / writing a novel

Spoiler
Also, Pokémon *are* awesome.
[close]

Mr Flibble

Warning! Wild trolls live in tall grass. It's dangerous to go in without a troll of your own for protection.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Fireball16

whats this about trolls?

nos es posterus
*we are the future*

DeviantGent

TROLLS TROLLING TROLLS TROLLING TROLLS TRAINING TRAINS
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Retrobot

I really hope you are not serious. As many have pointed out, making a game (especially a good one) is not something that just happens. You can't expect everyone to do everything for you. The best thing you need to do is to form a basic idea of what you would like to have and then research, research, research! There are a good many people here who have been around for years and have yet to make a game, myself included. Some people catch on to the whole 'game making' rather quickly while others need a little more time. There are plently of game engines/tools out there that allow you to throw a game together within minutes but AGS is not one of them. I mean, sure, you can wip together something quick but don't expect it to win any awards. Games need time and planning to be successful, especially adventure games, but from what I gather you are not interested in such a genre. You have to understand that if you plan to undertake creating an RPG in AGS you will have to spend a good amount of time learning to script in it. It does not matter if you are the best artist or writer in the world. If you can't script or know someone who could help, then your game is not going to be much of anything. You can not expect to come on here, bombard people with questions, and have them killing each other in order to help you. Details, correct spelling, and respect for others will do you good in the long run when asking others for help. Ask a question and wait to give people a chance to respond before firing off another question. I hope this does not sound harsh as that is not my purpose; just offering a little friendly advice as is (almost) everyone else. The best of luck to you.

Atelier

Quote from: Solstice on Sun 26/07/2009 19:20:48
Just offering a little friendly advice as is everyone else. The best of luck to you.

Quote from: DC on Sun 26/07/2009 19:14:28
TROLLS TROLLING TROLLS TROLLING TROLLS TRAINING TRAINS

:)

Pumaman

Ok, that's enough.

Fireball16, you must be over 16 to use these forums. Please refrain from posting until you can act that way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk