J.J.Gun and Sepheret Island.

Started by Midian Design, Mon 03/08/2009 08:19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Midian Design

title J.J.Gun and Sepheret Island (John Jebediah Gun e l'Isola di Sepheret)
resolution 1024x768
actual in-game languages italian / english (actually a raw version, soon the final one)
game duration maybe 2-3 hours, it's a short adventure.

J.J.Gun is a game between Indiana Jones and something like... uhm... Sam & Max? Maybe...
A strange letter took our detective J.J.Gun to Sepheret Island, in a quest
for a strange idol...

Splash screen

Intro

What's Inside:

Fantastic vehicles!

Dramatic moments!

Incredible party!

Stunning people!

homepage: http://www.midiandesign.com

Thanks & inspired from: Monkey's Island, Indiana Jones, American Dad, Stargate.

Leon

Looks professional & funny. I'll tell you more later.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

arj0n

Peder 🚀

I downloaded and started playing, and the game looks really good, but I think I gonna wait for a better translation first! The dialogs are a bit confusing :-\.

If you need help with it I am sure there are LOADS of people on here that would gladly do it for you :P.

arj0n

I seem not to be able to cycle through the action buttons with a right mouse click.
I'll have to click an action from the top bar. This is somehow a bit annoying.

Leon

Annoying indeed, but manageable. The translation could use a lot of work but it's playable. When talking to the man at the reception I'm facing the wrong way and talking to the other men in the area, I seem to be standing behind them instead of next to them.

Also when entering the room with the corpse I say something about the corpse while facing the lobby... ?

Other than that so far... looking good.

Midian Design

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Mon 03/08/2009 10:52:44
but I think I gonna wait for a better translation first!  :P.

If you're interested, I can send you the txt file, I suppose it's a 1/2 hour job for everyone knows the language :D
If you or someone else is interested I'll send it... I'm working on the new game (I posted the character in our home page if someone wanna see it) but I think I can find some minutes to change the downloadable exe ;)
Thank You :D

EDIT: Ok, soon a new traslation, very soon :)

Leon

I didn't finish the game yet but I wanted to get rid of my frustrations:

- There's way, way, way too little interaction with objects and surroundings (with the waterfall as anti-climax: A fall). There are several rooms with no interaction at all (or so it seems). You can't see hotspots (which wouldn't be a problem if objects and exits are clearly marked). The game play to me at the moment is wildly clicking on all that seems to be an object and isn't and missing objects that are needed.

- Exits and walkpaths aren't clear. Especially in the tunnels it's a nightmare to discover there are more paths to travel than left and right.

- The character got stuck (literally) several times already. I could talk, see and interact but not walk anymore. Restore is the only solution.

- The actions can't be scrolled (said already) and becomes more annoying as the game progresses.

- There could have been more animation. The balloon scene could have gotten a better reaction from the lady other than a simple line of text.

- The action-cursor is pretty bad. To use the wrench on an object is precision work. The icon is badly chosen too. A hand or something would be more appropriate.

The graphics and backgrounds are very nice but I have the feeling that there are too many rooms stuck together for the sake of the rooms, not the puzzle effect. I see loads of potential here but to me it's not a finished product.... yet.

Midian Design

Quote from: Leon on Mon 03/08/2009 23:12:47

- The character got stuck (literally) several times already. I could talk, see and interact but not walk anymore. Restore is the only solution.

. I see loads of potential here but to me it's not a finished product.... yet.

Thank you for your critics, maybe a v.1.0 will fix some issues but... character got stuck sounds new to me. Any idea? Walkpath are clear and simple,, maybe a bug of 3.1?

SuperDre

Quote from: Leon on Mon 03/08/2009 23:12:47
- You can't see hotspots (which wouldn't be a problem if objects and exits are clearly marked). The game play to me at the moment is wildly clicking on all that seems to be an object and isn't and missing objects that are needed.

That's something I miss in a lot of games, maybe I'm just lazy, but a lot of times it's so hard to see specific things in the background (maybe it's a lack of contrast/brightness on the monitor). Using hotspots (with that I mean when you move the cursor over it, it give a hint like 'little hole' or 'parrot') makes it easier not to miss an important object/clue. Most commercial adventure-games (if not all these days) use this.. Pixelhunting is one of the worst things a player has to do (and IMHO is just a designflaw)..

I only played the first screen of this game, but I'll just wait until a new version is published, as I also hated the fact that 'rightclick' didn't cycle through the cursors-actions.. also I agree with Leon on the actual cursors not representing what they do, I mean a crosshair for looking? why not an eye just like most adventures..
IMHO before you get to start on your next endeavour make sure the current one is 'honed'. Having read the comments I think you never actually did a beta for a few people.. And these forums have a lot of people who want to test your game.. And looking at the graphix and what I've actually seen I'd say with a bit of fixing this is an adventure a lot of people might actually enjoy..

Also if you 'fixed' the problems with this game you're bound to not make the same mistakes in the next.. Most fixes you need to do won't take that much time..  And remember, if people don't like the current game (because of bugs etc) they're bound not to even start the next one..

Midian Design

I consider this adventure a sort of test, and yes, it isn't a closed chapter, as I wrote before it's a 0.9 version and I'll fix the more I can, but atm I think the more important thing it's understand why for someone the character sometimes is stuck.

sthomannch

Nice game, but my character also gets often stuck. Also, for no reason, the window sometimes minimizes (but the game does not crash).

Leon

Maybe you can create something like a patch because downloading 86mb (if you take the game only) isn't something (most) people like to do for fun.

I've finished the game and must say: the game has a lot of potential but I'd expected a bit more of the puzzle part.

Spoiler
Just collecting 4 pieces and pushing three buttons isn't what I'd expected of a game with these kind of graphics and such professional presentation.

The best puzzle in this case was obtaining the keys to the boat but was (in my opnion) badly presented.
[close]

Maybe collaborating with a good puzzle designer?

Midian Design

Oh please don't doubt about the potential in creating puzzle or longer game, a said a thousand times that is a short game (in the games in production forum), an experience only to explore AGS.
I really need the answer about the character stuck, I'll post in the right area, and I'll fix other bugs, but for puzzles and other things I prefer to be judged on the next game :)

SuperDre

Quote from: MD on Tue 04/08/2009 20:04:02
I really need the answer about the character stuck, I'll post in the right area, and I'll fix other bugs, but for puzzles and other things I prefer to be judged on the next game :)
Make sure you get all the info need, what resolution is the person playing it, what course did he walk exactly when he got stuck..

sthomannch

It was nice, and the puzzles were ok. About the stuck character: Really annoying, I had to quit the game and restore every two screens. Also, very often the game minimized, even with the cursor in the middle of the screen. Something is wrong with the mouse control. Could be the reason that the character cannot be moved anymore.

SuperDre

Quote from: sthomannch on Wed 05/08/2009 03:07:40
It was nice, and the puzzles were ok. About the stuck character: Really annoying, I had to quit the game and restore every two screens. Also, very often the game minimized, even with the cursor in the middle of the screen. Something is wrong with the mouse control. Could be the reason that the character cannot be moved anymore.

maybe, just send your acsetup.cfg to MD...

Midian Design

A new downloadable version is now available.
Fixed some bugs (thanks to WHAM for a solution to the stuck issue, I found an old thread and saw a lot of people having problems with this bug), and finally an improved translation (a lot better than mine :D:D Thanks to Arj0n).

Eggie

Did you... stick a Family Guy character's head on Guybrush's body?
That is creepy...

SuperDre

Just finished it... The graphix look great, but I also agree that not being able to cycle through the icons was annoying, also i didn't even see
Spoiler
a path to the right
[close]
after the bridge screen, and I also saw some other people who didn't find the
Spoiler
path to the left on the crossroads'woods'screen
[close]
..  Also I didn't even notice the bulletinboard in the back of the hotel, but that had all to do with the backgrounds..
The following things would make it better:

1. Being able to cycle through the actionicons..
2. Better mousepointer hotspot'boxing', sometimes it was like pixelhunting just to get the pointer to do the action.
3. When using items loose the crosshair over the item, just make sure point 2 is done
4. Tooltiptext on items you can do some action when you hoover with the mouse over it..
5. Better english translation
6. Think better about
Spoiler
paths
[close]
being visible

7. DO A SEQUEL ;)

At least make sure your next game has something more to do, more people to talk/interact with, more items and more animation..

But this was/is a good first game even without the problems I mentioned fixed...

arj0n

I've been told that nr.7 wil not/never been done...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk