QUANTUMNAUTS - [UPDATE - 05/03/2010]

Started by Midian Design, Sat 08/08/2009 19:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Midian Design

Q U A N T U M N A U T S

Chapter I

SPEED OF LIGHT, SPACE PIRATES AND MULTIVERSES.

Content advisory: None/Mild None None/Mild

Languages: English / Italiano
Res: 1024x768 32bit
Game & Story: Midian Design (Danilo Cagliari)
Music: Quantumnauts Soundtrack by D.C. Digital Orchestra
Full Game Translation [english]: Paul Giaccone
Beta Test & Help: Arj0n, Paul Giaccone, Pan, Flavio Soldani.

The Quantumnaut’s task was simple: bring his captain back on board of the spaceship through teleportation, within the time required for this mission: 3 hours on the planet earth in 2010, Universe 1st.
But because of a wrong coordinate the Quantumnaut by accident teleported the wrong person. This unlucky person was an ordinary boy called Bob who was, just before the teleportation, leaving his favorite pub where he has been playing with his band that evening, ending up being pretty drunk, as usual.
After the teleportation, Bob thought that everything he saw was just a drunken imagination.
But it’s as real as the immense shadow that was approaching the spaceship on which he found himself at thas very moment: space pirates!

...Panic...

The Quantumnaut now have to take a difficult decision: bring back his captain on board of the spaceship with the risk of having to deal with the pirates, who hunt between dimensions for systems owned and used by elite soldiers from certain empires in order to become the new rulers of the multiverses. (The pirates have already managed to steal one system from an unlucky ship of the fleet of Utharium, in Universe 5)
Or, the only other option that is left, running away...

...Escape...

The Quantumnaut has activated the automatic escape system, a program which calculates random co-ordinates to warp the Quantumship into a safe place, far away from those pirates.
The tractor beam of this immense pirates’ Mothership was definitely hard to evade, but the unlucky ones manage to escape into the thirteenth Universe, year 3042...
...But the motors and the control system have now been completely damaged.
The only option is making a crash landing on the first planet they encounter…
They crashed on a red, hot planet with strange trunk-like shaped rocks (!!!)
The last thing that the eyes of the Quantumnaut saw: a Captain lost in space and time, their  spaceship of incalculable value crushed on a, perhaps, hostile planet and a drunk guy called Bob, who wasn’t worrying about anything, convinced of having exaggerated with the beer... This is all too much for the Quantumnauts heart. He dies, leaving Bob alone with a wrecked spaceship on a strange planet, far away from home.
Bob managed to leave the spaceship. Then he begins to realize that everything that has happened until now isn't just a drunken imagination. On the contrary, it’s the very hard reality.

The road back home? Definitely long.

More Info: http://www.midiandesign.com  

Download/Secure Order Page: http://www.midiandesign.com/#quantumnauts

cosmicr

WOW!  :o :o

this game looks amazing, I love the intricate story!

The graphics look second to none!

Any idea of a release date?

Ryan Timothy B

QuoteI love the intricate story!
Hmm.  I'm having the opposite feeling.  I can't quite make out what the story is.  Perhaps it was just the result of poor translation or something, very confusing english. (I've even read it 3 times now)  Sorry for sounding rude, if it came across that way. :P

From what I gather, it sounds like it could be interesting.  Graphics look pretty impressive too (for being 3d and all).

Midian Design

Quote from: Cyrus on Sun 09/08/2009 17:52:21
Is the game's name a reference to Psychonauts?
No :)

First post update with an improved translation.

m0ds

Looks good, and sounds fine - I think it'll work well if it has good puzzles. The storyline reminds me of The Journey Home by Adamski cos of that "wrong teleportation" scenario, but that for me just makes it more tempting. The graphics are very nice too, good use of 3D. Hopefully there'll be an English version that's been proofread & stuff. Good luck!

Midian Design

Quote from: cosmicr on Sun 09/08/2009 04:44:01

Any idea of a release date?
No, maybe 9 months  ;D
The storyline reminds me of The Journey Home by Adamski
It's something between The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Galaxy Quest.

(post updated)

arj0n

Matti

This could become one of the few 3D-Adventures that I actually like. Normally I'm not into 3d graphics regarding adventures (and most of the other genres too), but these screenies are really nice.

Good luck.

Midian Design

First video [preview]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UZYFPdpkM

Music: Quantumnauts Fanfare
First Three Races: Humans, La-Lu, Kandul.

sthomannch

arj0n

Wow MD, nice preview vid!
Funny, those lightsabers on the wall in the 'pub'.

Matti

I was hoping for some in-game action to see how the gameplay works. The video wasn't really more than a screenshot slidewhow...

Lookin good nevertheless..

Midian Design

Hey we're back.

At http://www.midiandesign.com

or directly from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPGIoTr-FU4

you can find a video from a raw demo version (0.2), there's a tutorial and the intro.
It's a Low quality video made by a beta tester and it's in italian atm, but it's possible
to see a small part of the game, the GUI (MePod), some sprites and the music (only 6 minutes
here, the entire soundtrack it's aprox 60min).
Bob abducted from the Quantumnaut, the arrival of Space Pirates, the death of the Quantumnaut
and Bob listening to his song recorded in his pod, before the exploration.

See u soon :)

Midian Design

Some new screenshots from the full release:

This is Neena, Bob's holographic companion at his quantumnautic adventure:

;)

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

neon

I've played the demo and I have to say: nice work.

The graphics are well done, also the animations. Found some little typos and one sentence was not translated, but hey, it's just a demo.

My only critic is about the music. I think it's not a good idea to overload scenes that have no real content with dramatical themes. Don't get me wrong, the music is not bad, but it doesn't fit the desert scene or the town. Especially in the first scene, if I only listened to the music and wouldn't see the pictures, I would expect something very dangerous happening there. But it isn't, it's just a guy who's walking around, explaining controls and trying to find an exit.

Imagine this music in the first star wars movie while C3PO and R2D2 are walking through the desert. Wouldn't it be strange? ;-)

Midian Design

Thanks for your reply :)

Bob was, while being drunken, abducted [by accident], has been chased by space pirates, survives a crash landing on an unknown planet, sees someone dying he just met, stranded in a desert with weird looking rocks and strange huge not working robots while dealing with an hangover...
Also when trying to enter the city he got told by the snail-man that the regime is quite hostile, there's even an curfew!...the music should be giving you, as player, a little "danger" feeling.
This game might have some little influences with star wars, comparing it with that movie is something else :P
This ain't star wars or star trek, this is quantumnauts... (not an epic saga with a beautiful hero, but a poor human on Pyr in 3042, multiverse 13).
But, if someone else feels the same as you, I'll change the music in these rooms (in 60 min. of quantumnauts'soundtrack there's a lot of possibilities)- by the way, I'm a metal guitar player, so for me the word "soft" can be different from your opinion  ;D

neon

Oh no, I'm far away from comparing the game with Star Wars, it was just an example.

arj0n

Quote from: neon on Wed 14/10/2009 05:56:09
Found some little typos and one sentence was not translated, but hey, it's just a demo.
Fixed @ 10-10-2009 :)

B.t.w.: very nice city surroundings in your Italian Playable Demo v1.5, they do have a good atmosphere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk