The Longevity Gene

Started by markbilly, Wed 12/08/2009 22:42:13

Previous topic - Next topic

markbilly

<< CRITICS LOUNGE THREAD >>
(to continue discussion of the game's demo)

The Longevity Gene is a sci-fi adventure I'm hoping to release in two parts, to make development less daunting. I'm making good progress with Part 1, so here goes...

The Story

You find yourself, completely unaware of your identity, trapped on a damaged cargo ship hurtling towards the surface of an industrial world. Flung into a dystopian world of corrupt corporations and a society divided by technology, you must find out who you are and why you were hidden as cargo.

Features

Character and dialogue driven puzzles and a deep, engaging story.
Detailed sprites and backgrounds, in 320x200 res.
Original MIDI music.

Some screenshots:

Some characters:

Development Progress:

Part 1:

Story: 100%
Scripting: 90%
Graphics: 90%
Dialogue: 80%
Sound: 50%
Music: 20%

All that is left now is adding dialogues and sound and making it all look nice.

EDIT: I underestimated how long the "tidying up" would take, so there is a new release date below.

Expected completion date: First half of 2011.

Igor Hardy

Nice graphics and dystopian atmosphere.

Peder 🚀

And "its back!" ;D.
Looking lovely!!!

markbilly

Yeah, this little project has been knocking around the forums for a while... Thought I'd give it a proper announcing, now I've sorted the graphics direction and story out properly! :)

Find Therma

Wow, both looks and sounds really interesting. Good luck!

Matti

Nice. Looking forward to it. I was hoping for another sci-fi adventure to pop up and I really like your style. Also, I'm into dystopian future settings.   :)

Wayne Adams

very nice use of color palette..

good silhouettes on characters too. Looking forward to more...

Ubel

There's always room for more sci-fi adventures in this world. This one looks amazing!

markbilly

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! :)

Snake

Looking and sounding great. Reminds me of SOL a bit. Were you inspired at all?
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

ThreeOhFour

m0ds

Looks great, already feels like quite an epic adventure -- good luck! :)

markbilly

SOL ???

The main inspirations were Beneath a Steel Sky, Bioware RPGs and sci-fi films like Blade Runner. I have played a criminally small number of adventure games, despite a love and admiration for the genre. I'm just not very good at them. Hence the more character and story based direction I'm going for. I want players to be drawn in and intrigued, not just baffled and frustrated. ;)

Matti

Quote from: markbilly on Thu 13/08/2009 15:53:41
Hence the more character and story based direction I'm going for. I want players to be drawn in and intrigued, not just baffled and frustrated. ;)

Sounds good, but be aware that it's more fun to solve puzzles than to watch an interactive movie. Remember: It's supposed to be a game. Just try to find a good compromise between story + gameplay.

Good luck.

markbilly

@Snake & Puddin': Looks nice, shame the download is broken... :(

@Mr Matti: Yeah, there will be puzzles don't worry! :) But I'm hoping to balance it so the player can explore and unravel the story through exploration and dialogue as well as the puzzles.

SuperDre

It looks absolutely fabulous.. So hope you finish it all soon ;) keep up the great work..

Dualnames

I recall when you once said on a pm.. "I can't draw"

Sure.. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

markbilly

Quote from: SuperDre on Mon 17/08/2009 20:04:08
It looks absolutely fabulous.. So hope you finish it all soon ;) keep up the great work..

Thanks, so do I! :D

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 18/08/2009 12:47:36
I recall when you once said on a pm.. "I can't draw"

Sure.. ;)

I still can't. Every artist gets to the next level and still feels they could do a lot lot better... ;)

I won't deny I've got a lot better, but I also won't deny that's down to the help of some very talented people and lots of use of inspiration. ;)

markbilly

BUMP! with a couple more screenies:

Hope this whets your appetites! :)

Development is slow, but progress is certainly being made...

SuperDre

Wow... the original screenshots already looks great, but this also look unbelievable great... hope it will progress a bit faster ;)

AngelicCharon

I've been meaning to comment on this one for a while, and I must say, digging the art direction and story.  

Keeping tabs on it.

Also, slow development at least is development. ;)

markbilly

Thanks for the great comments! :)

Yeah, progress is slower than I wanted it to be, but I'm putting every spare minute (and a  fair few that aren't spare! ;) ) into this, so I really hope that shows in the end...

Hopefully some time near Christmas I will be able to invest a few weeks in solid development too, as by that point I should have shifted some uni work!

Snake

Still looking forward to this! Looking good :)
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Ben X

I've played a recent build of this, and it's shaping up verrrrry nicely.

You still planning on releasing the two parts separately, MB?

markbilly

Thanks Ben!

Yes, first part ETA summer '10 :)

Darth Mandarb

markbilly - Thanks for the update (save the thread from being locked).

bbX1138 - Read the forum rules before posting again please.  Do not dig up threads

GreenBoy

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 14/03/2010 16:29:46
Thanks Ben!

Yes, first part ETA summer '10 :)

Absolutely wicked news!   ;D

I've been looking forward to this game.

Ben X

Darth Mandarb - I have already read the forum rules. The rule I assume you're referring to, states: "If you're interested in an old thread about a project don't post asking about the progress.  Send a PM to the game's author.  If the project has been cancelled and/or abandoned there's no point in bumping the thread!" As I was providing new information about the project - namely that an alpha build has been made and is looking promising - and I already knew that the project has not been cancelled or abandoned, I don't believe I'm in contravention of the letter or spirit of this rule. Furthermore, my post garnered an official release date for the project, so I'd argue it was a relevant and useful one.

Dualnames

Ah, that's unfair two posts from Ben out of 4 are in here! I'm so jealous. Anyway, looking seriously to this game. I think it will get me depressed. As all works of art do!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ben X

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 15/03/2010 23:30:06
Ah, that's unfair two posts from Ben out of 4 are in here! I'm so jealous.

Well, I'm more likely to post in a project's thread if I'm privy to alpha builds, you see...  ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: bbX1138 on Mon 15/03/2010 23:34:54
Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 15/03/2010 23:30:06
Ah, that's unfair two posts from Ben out of 4 are in here! I'm so jealous.

Well, I'm more likely to post in a project's thread if I'm privy to alpha builds, you see...  ;)

Which still got me wondering..who did you kill to get that alpha.. :D
Sorry for the off-topic Darth.

Pixelton

Wow, the artwork is amazing!

I cant wait to give this a try.
Please follow our progress on IndieDB!

<a href="http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure" title="View Dustbowl - A Wasteland Adventure on Indie DB" target="_blank">Dustbowl - A Wasteland Adventure</a>

markbilly

Thanks again for the comments everyone - all this enccouragement/pressure ( :D ) really spurs me on!

Lets just say Ben's returning a favour... Also, he's much better at 'dialogue' than me!

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: bbX1138 on Mon 15/03/2010 23:27:41Darth Mandarb - I have already read the forum rules. The rule I assume you're referring to, states: "If you're interested in an old thread about a project don't post asking about the progress.  Send a PM to the game's author.  If the project has been cancelled and/or abandoned there's no point in bumping the thread!" As I was providing new information about the project - namely that an alpha build has been made and is looking promising - and I already knew that the project has not been cancelled or abandoned, I don't believe I'm in contravention of the letter or spirit of this rule. Furthermore, my post garnered an official release date for the project, so I'd argue it was a relevant and useful one.

Congratulations on reading the rules!!

Now don't do that (dig up a thread) again.

Even if you feel it is relevant and/or warranted and/or "in the spirit" just don't do it.  PM the author first.

k thanks.

BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE.

edit - Off-topic/rule debate posts were removed.  If any of you want to discuss the rules send me a PM rather than more off-topic cluttering up in here.

Ali

Quote from: markbilly on Tue 16/03/2010 10:41:18
Thanks again for the comments everyone - all this enccouragement/pressure ( :D ) really spurs me on!

Lets just say Ben's returning a favour... Also, he's much better at 'dialogue' than me!

That last sentence is more fun if you move the inverted commas from dialogue to favour.

I missed the October update, but all the screenshots look very atmospheric. I'm looking forward to finding out more about the story!

markbilly

Small Update.

First post has been edited to reflect the progress I've made. Graphics and scripting now up to ~70%.

I've added a new "Polish" progress bar because it will need a lot before beta testing starts and it means I can ramp the others up to 70%! ;D

Oh, and here's a screenie if you missed it from the critics' lounge:

Peter Bear

Courage to end this one.

I really like the graphic / simple shading style, this works fine. So fine.
Not much time for gaming neither creating, but keeping an eye on everything :)

Pixelton

I love the art and the feel of this game, if I wasnt so busy with other projects and concept ideas for a future project I'd PM you and to see if you needed assistance in anything.

Keep it up man, sending you lots of energy in finshing it!

MB
Please follow our progress on IndieDB!

<a href="http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure" title="View Dustbowl - A Wasteland Adventure on Indie DB" target="_blank">Dustbowl - A Wasteland Adventure</a>

Questionable

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 28/03/2010 02:07:32
I've added a new "Polish" progress bar because it will need a lot before beta testing starts and it means I can ramp the others up to 70%! ;D

If you need help translating the game into any other languages besides Polish, let me know!

I'm fluent in English, Piglatin and Gibberish.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Captain Ricco

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 28/03/2010 02:07:32
Small Update.

First post has been edited to reflect the progress I've made. Graphics and scripting now up to ~70%.

Oh, and here's a screenie if you missed it from the critics' lounge:
maybe you could make the light beams as a separate sprite so they affect the player as he walks??

I dont know if AGS supports degrees of transparency though...

markbilly

Quote from: Captain Ricco on Wed 07/04/2010 18:39:21
maybe you could make the light beams as a separate sprite so they affect the player as he walks??

Already done. :)

markbilly

Good News!

I've updated the first post to better reflect progress.

Part 1:

Story: 100%
Scripting: 90%
Graphics: 90%
Dialogue: 80%
Sound: 50%
Music: 20%

All that is left now is adding dialogues and sound and making it all look nice.

So, yes. I put the last sequence together last night. The remainder of development is now filling in the gaps I left along the way and making it all look extra pretty.

In other news, Matthew Brown (aka GlassMoon) has joined the team to work on the sounds. He is improving or replacing all the existing sounds and making loads of brand new ones. I can assure you they all sound great!

Take a look at Matthew's site: www.mbrownportfolio.co.uk

Also, don't forget to check out all the progress on TLG (and other stuff) by following me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/mark_billy

GreenBoy

That is good news!  Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

ThreeOhFour

Matti

Good news indeed. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Stacy Davidson

Looks awesome!  The minimalist graphical approach reminds me a bit of Flashback and Out of this World (AKA Another World), as well as Steel Sky of course.  Congrats!

-s
-Stacy Davidson
Jack Houston and the Necronauts
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

Steve Roderick

I love the graphics... reminds me of Epsilon 9 or Future Wars or something. I can't wait for this.

markbilly

Thanks for the support, everyone! :)

It is SO close, yet there is so much more to do... Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer, though!

Galen

Dr. Manhatten, you're finally wearing shorts!

Dualnames

Quote from: Steve Roderick on Wed 04/08/2010 16:59:32
I love the graphics... reminds me of Epsilon 9 or Future Wars or something. I can't wait for this.

Mark said he can't draw. In fact insisted heartily on that part.  ;)

Also,is this gonna take long? I can't wait from day one! :D

markbilly

I'm working hard and so are the sound and music men! :) this will be done in the next couple of months...

theo

It's cool how the style has many colors but still is coherent in it's own muted, dark, depressing way.

Looking forward to this one!

Takyon

Been waiting for this for ages, cannot wait for the final result :D
ghost.

markbilly

Quote from: theo on Sun 08/08/2010 21:18:07
It's cool how the style has many colors but still is coherent in it's own muted, dark, depressing way.

thanks for the compliments :)

Quote from: J.H on Mon 09/08/2010 00:04:50
Been waiting for this for ages, cannot wait for the final result :D

It's getting there, don't worry!

Steve Roderick

I agree with everybody, this game is intriguing in every way. I'm just as excited for this game to be released as I was when GTA 4 and MGS 4 were released. Even the title - "The Longevity Gene" - I can only imagine what the story will be about, but the title in itself has captured my attention.

And those graphics... I'm kind of an old-school gamer having grown up with the Commodore 64, the NES, and DOS... these graphics are totally retro in the very best way, made by a guy who probably wasn't even born when these systems were in there prime. I can't wait to see some animation...

A definite "must-play" AGS game from markbilly - The Pixel Master.

ddq

I want this game inside me.

Please finish this game soon, please.

markbilly

Quote from: Steve Roderick on Mon 09/08/2010 01:21:59
I agree with everybody, this game is intriguing in every way. I'm just as excited for this game to be released as I was when GTA 4 and MGS 4 were released. Even the title - "The Longevity Gene" - I can only imagine what the story will be about, but the title in itself has captured my attention.

And those graphics... I'm kind of an old-school gamer having grown up with the Commodore 64, the NES, and DOS... these graphics are totally retro in the very best way, made by a guy who probably wasn't even born when these systems were in there prime. I can't wait to see some animation...

A definite "must-play" AGS game from markbilly - The Pixel Master.

Wow, can I put that on the box? :D

Jimbob

Less talk, more work! Think about the accolades later!

Seriously though. get it done. :P
Current Project: A Hard Day's Knight

markbilly

I should point people who follow this thread to the recent AGS blog interview about me and The Longevity Gene:

http://ags-ssh.blogspot.com/2010/08/interview-part-11-long-live-gene.html

Also, I posted this image on my twitter feed recently to illustrate some of the animation in the game (something I haven't managed to showcase much):

Takyon

ghost.

markbilly

Right, I've sorted the image. Probably wasn't a good idea trying to link it from twitpic! ;)

markbilly

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid this is going to take longer than I first thought. Some bits and pieces came up when it was tested - basically:

A lot of dialogue needs re-writing. Some locations need polishing and fleshing out and I've thought of a couple of extra puzzles. There is also a lot of animation to do, which I had pretty much exclusively left for the time being.

The testing was definitely worthwhile though providing some really useful observations and the game will be ten times better because of it.

As way of an apology, here is a brand new animation:

Dualnames

Apology accepted Commander. :D

Igor Hardy

Nice stabbing animation. The game's hero turns out to be quite a brutal man. But I hope that bearded guy is not Jesus.

markbilly

Quote from: Ascovel on Sun 10/10/2010 18:28:01
The game's hero turns out to be quite a brutal man.

Or does he? - you've hit on something rather important there.

cianty

I've seen the light after reading Ascovel's comment. Before, I thought the Hero was slapping the other guy with a stinky fish.  ::) Sorry....
ca. 70% completed

markbilly

Quote from: cianty on Sun 10/10/2010 19:11:37
Before, I thought the Hero was slapping the other guy with a stinky fish.

Haha!

It is clearer what is going on when in the context of the game, don't worry! ;)

cianty

ca. 70% completed

Tarmstorm

This reminds me of Beneath a Steel Sky. Things that reminds me of Beneath a Steel Sky makes me happy...

GreenBoy

He's much less squinty in the animation.  I like squinty.

markbilly

Quote from: Tarmstorm on Fri 22/10/2010 23:45:11
This reminds me of Beneath a Steel Sky. Things that reminds me of Beneath a Steel Sky makes me happy...

Really glad to hear it! :) BASS is one of my all time favourites and a massive inspiration for me!

Quote from: GreenBoy on Sat 23/10/2010 04:26:04
He's much less squinty in the animation.  I like squinty.

It's just the way it's scaled. I had to animate this at about 90-95% character size because of where in the room it takes place. Also, because of a scripting quirk that meant I had to use an object, rather than directly animate the characters.

IanSean

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 10/10/2010 18:22:36
Hi everyone,

I'm afraid this is going to take longer than I first thought. Some bits and pieces came up when it was tested - basically:

A lot of dialogue needs re-writing. Some locations need polishing and fleshing out and I've thought of a couple of extra puzzles. There is also a lot of animation to do, which I had pretty much exclusively left for the time being.

The testing was definitely worthwhile though providing some really useful observations and the game will be ten times better because of it.

As way of an apology, here is a brand new animation:

It's been almost 3 years now. What is the status of this masterpiece ? Are you still alive ?
Do you need any help finishing it ? I might be able to provide support with art and testing.
Let us know.

Darth Mandarb

For real?  Seriously?

IanSean - please read the forum rules before further posting.

EDIT 25 Aug 2013 - I've been contacted by markbilly who will be posting an update so I am unlocking this.

markbilly

Greetings.

I thought it only polite to let people know what's going on with the project. I have not worked on The Longevity Gene now since very early 2012. However, the project is only PAUSED it is certainly NOT DEAD.

I am currently working on a new version of PMQs: The Game for mobile platforms and after that TLG is back on.

The game is going to require some brutal cutting, de-cluttering and a complete dialogue rewrite so it won't be a short or trivial task.

Feel free to post any questions and I will try and answer them.

Thanks,
Mark

qptain Nemo

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 25/08/2013 14:25:15
I am currently working on a new version of PMQs: The Game for mobile platforms and after that TLG is back on.
For a good minute I was genuinely thinking you mean pub master quest and being astonished.

Good luck with all your things.

Darth Mandarb

As the game is not in production at the moment I'm going to relock this!

If anybody has any questions please PM markbilly directly!

markbilly - Thanks for the update!  If/when you get back to development on this let me know and I'll unlock it again!  Good luck!

Ben X

As story consultant and playtester on The Longevity Gene, it is my sad duty to announce that development of this game has been cancelled. However, there is a version that is playable from beginning to end which Mark is hosting on his itchio page:

https://mark_billy.itch.io/

I recommend everyone have a play through. Although it's unfinished and hence quite rough around the edges, there's a lot to enjoy in this atmospheric little slice of dystopian thriller.

selmiak

ohnoes! This too bad. Maybe I'll take a look at that placeholder game!

Stupot

Quote from: Ben X on Mon 07/03/2016 21:51:17
As story consultant and playtester on The Longevity Gene, it is my sad duty to announce that development of this game has been cancelled. However, there is a version that is playable from beginning to end which Mark is hosting on his itchio page:
Ahh man. That's a bummer. I was thinking about this title a couple of weeks ago. I guess the longevity wears off even the most long-term projects :-).

Darth Mandarb

I unlocked this in high spirits thinking it was back in production. Shame. Since it is not,technically,  in production this must be locked again though :(  I'll leave it pen for a day or two so people can pay their respects.

AnasAbdin

I wanted to play this game ever since I discovered AGS.

Armageddon

Man I was so hyped for this. I'm glad he put out a playable version at least, more than most abandoned games ever get.

markbilly

Thanks for the kind words, all! If it's not possible to keep this thread open to discuss the unfinished version, what's my best option? I didn't want to start a Completed Game thread, as that's not strictly true.

Darth Mandarb

If the game is as complete as you're going to make it then it's okay to put it in completed games (as a demo?).

You could always post it in the Critics Lounge if you want that kind of feedback on it!

Even Adventure Related Talk & Chat would be acceptable!

Or you could just lie to me (all of us) and tell me you've changed your mind and the game is back in production. (wrong)

Dualnames

Longevity Gene and generally markbilly's behavior has been something i always admired, a guy always pushing himself to do better, and even though longevity didn't came out, that's okay, the effort is still worth a nod and a tap on the back.

Dualnames salutes

Darth Mandarb

A fitting way to close the thread!

markbilly - if, hopefully, you decide to pick this back up in the future let me know!  I will gladly unlock it!

A thread has been opened in the Critics Lounge
<< CRITICS LOUNGE THREAD >>
(to continue discussion of the game's demo)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk