The Longevity Gene

Started by markbilly, Wed 12/08/2009 22:42:13

Previous topic - Next topic

markbilly

<< CRITICS LOUNGE THREAD >>
(to continue discussion of the game's demo)

The Longevity Gene is a sci-fi adventure I'm hoping to release in two parts, to make development less daunting. I'm making good progress with Part 1, so here goes...

The Story

You find yourself, completely unaware of your identity, trapped on a damaged cargo ship hurtling towards the surface of an industrial world. Flung into a dystopian world of corrupt corporations and a society divided by technology, you must find out who you are and why you were hidden as cargo.

Features

Character and dialogue driven puzzles and a deep, engaging story.
Detailed sprites and backgrounds, in 320x200 res.
Original MIDI music.

Some screenshots:

Some characters:

Development Progress:

Part 1:

Story: 100%
Scripting: 90%
Graphics: 90%
Dialogue: 80%
Sound: 50%
Music: 20%

All that is left now is adding dialogues and sound and making it all look nice.

EDIT: I underestimated how long the "tidying up" would take, so there is a new release date below.

Expected completion date: First half of 2011.

Igor Hardy

Nice graphics and dystopian atmosphere.

Peder 🚀

And "its back!" ;D.
Looking lovely!!!

markbilly

Yeah, this little project has been knocking around the forums for a while... Thought I'd give it a proper announcing, now I've sorted the graphics direction and story out properly! :)

Find Therma

Wow, both looks and sounds really interesting. Good luck!

Matti

Nice. Looking forward to it. I was hoping for another sci-fi adventure to pop up and I really like your style. Also, I'm into dystopian future settings.   :)

Wayne Adams

very nice use of color palette..

good silhouettes on characters too. Looking forward to more...

Ubel

There's always room for more sci-fi adventures in this world. This one looks amazing!

markbilly

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! :)

Snake

Looking and sounding great. Reminds me of SOL a bit. Were you inspired at all?
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

ThreeOhFour

m0ds

Looks great, already feels like quite an epic adventure -- good luck! :)

markbilly

SOL ???

The main inspirations were Beneath a Steel Sky, Bioware RPGs and sci-fi films like Blade Runner. I have played a criminally small number of adventure games, despite a love and admiration for the genre. I'm just not very good at them. Hence the more character and story based direction I'm going for. I want players to be drawn in and intrigued, not just baffled and frustrated. ;)

Matti

Quote from: markbilly on Thu 13/08/2009 15:53:41
Hence the more character and story based direction I'm going for. I want players to be drawn in and intrigued, not just baffled and frustrated. ;)

Sounds good, but be aware that it's more fun to solve puzzles than to watch an interactive movie. Remember: It's supposed to be a game. Just try to find a good compromise between story + gameplay.

Good luck.

markbilly

@Snake & Puddin': Looks nice, shame the download is broken... :(

@Mr Matti: Yeah, there will be puzzles don't worry! :) But I'm hoping to balance it so the player can explore and unravel the story through exploration and dialogue as well as the puzzles.

SuperDre

It looks absolutely fabulous.. So hope you finish it all soon ;) keep up the great work..

Dualnames

I recall when you once said on a pm.. "I can't draw"

Sure.. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

markbilly

Quote from: SuperDre on Mon 17/08/2009 20:04:08
It looks absolutely fabulous.. So hope you finish it all soon ;) keep up the great work..

Thanks, so do I! :D

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 18/08/2009 12:47:36
I recall when you once said on a pm.. "I can't draw"

Sure.. ;)

I still can't. Every artist gets to the next level and still feels they could do a lot lot better... ;)

I won't deny I've got a lot better, but I also won't deny that's down to the help of some very talented people and lots of use of inspiration. ;)

markbilly

BUMP! with a couple more screenies:

Hope this whets your appetites! :)

Development is slow, but progress is certainly being made...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk