The Haunting of Davy Jones

Started by Kyougi, Thu 13/08/2009 01:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyougi

So after totally falling out of an adventure game making mood while making graphics for Detective Crazypants (which I do plan to finish, for the 5 of you that care ^_^;; ), I decided to look into RON games, a series I always had a vague interest for, but never got around to playing some RON games. So a few days ago I sat down and played a good handful of RON games and thought the concept was really well thought out and overall, I enjoyed the 6 or so games I played. Next I thought that perhaps I could take a stab at making a RON game. That night, I read the RON FAQ and came up with a story. The next day I downloaded a bunch of RON resources and made a couple rooms to make sure I was up to making a RON game.

Here is the story I have in mind, I made sure to do a little research on the characters I plan to use, but here it is anyway, just so I'm sure I'm not contradicting an existing RON game.

The game, titled "The Haunting of Davy Jones", takes place a nondescript amount of time after "Lunchtime of the Damned". Davy is up late one night working on a report for school when the ghost of Bill Cosby comes and says that he wishes to have his revenge on Davy for letting lose a zombie that killed him. He plans to get his revenge by staying in Davy's house for the rest of eternity talking entirely in moaning noises to annoy him. Davy looks in his spellbook to find the recipe for "Ghost-B-Gone", a potion that will repel one ghost for ~300,000 years. To make the potion Davy needs to dip a possession of the deceased in a glass filled with alcohol and rose petals and recite the magic phrase.

Other characters that I'm including is the Crazy Homeless Wierdo (as always) and Vicks who is standing guard outside Scid's while Scid is on his midnight snack break due to break-ins that had happened recently.

And that's the story. Other then that, I do have a couple of questions regarding the game.

• When the game is finished, should I post here in the RON section or in the "Completed Game" section?
  • Could someone please send me the graphics for the RON-styled icon bar? I couldn't get the template to work and I couldn't find the graphics anywhere on the RON site

That's it I believe. Hopefully there are no big contradictions and I can continue with the game. If that's the case I should be able to finish it within the next few days (yay for not having to make my own graphics!).

Renegade Implementor

QuoteHe plans to get his revenge by staying in Davy's house for the rest of eternity talking entirely in moaning noises to annoy him.

I'd of thought Cosby going through all the dialogue of his Coca-cola & Jell-O Pudding commercials would be more annoying... that or lines for Leonard Part 6 (which I've not seen). :)

QuoteCould someone please send me the graphics for the RON-styled icon bar

Which version of AGS are you using?  Do you mean the old template or the newer one?

Kyougi

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Thu 13/08/2009 04:32:47
QuoteHe plans to get his revenge by staying in Davy's house for the rest of eternity talking entirely in moaning noises to annoy him.

I'd of thought Cosby going through all the dialogue of his Coca-cola & Jell-O Pudding commercials would be more annoying... that or lines for Leonard Part 6 (which I've not seen). :)

QuoteCould someone please send me the graphics for the RON-styled icon bar

Which version of AGS are you using?  Do you mean the old template or the newer one?

You're right about the commercials being annoying perhaps I'll add them in some of the dialouge options or perhaps he'll start saying them if you just stand around in the room long enough.

I am currently using AGS v3.1.2 SP1 and I was referring to the old template with the iconbar that looked alot like the one from "I Spy".

Renegade Implementor

The gui file (res-gui-040104.zip - found on resource page) has directories that contain the toolbar and inventory graphics, if your intent is to use a classic sierra-style toolbar.  Don't forget, there is the new game template just waiting to be used.

Kyougi

Wierd, when I look in the .zip file, it only has the graphics for the inventory buttons, cursors, and .exe icons, and not the icons for the normal icon bar. But if push comes to shove, I can always edit the inventory buttons to make the icon bar graphics, I suppose.

I've looked at the new template and it's very nice, but I've been using pretty much entirely the older graphics for characters/backgrounds/etc so it's easier for me to create new room objects without them standing out like a sore thumb ^_^;;

DeviantGent

Quote from: Kyougi on Thu 13/08/2009 01:07:30
  • When the game is finished, should I post here in the RON section or in the "Completed Game" section?

I'd make a post here that links to a topic in the Completed Game section. This allows people who aren't regulars to this subforum to play a new game.

If you do have an inclination to using the newer versions of the background graphics, or want to know how the rooms of the Jones House go together, then take a look at the newest build of Virtual Reality. Shameless self promotion I know, but it may be of some help to you.

The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk