Old thread from Adventure Related Talk & Chat

Started by Peder 🚀, Fri 14/08/2009 21:15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

Terran, it would be cool to have an AGSDb (IMDb-like) website, but I can't see too much information being placed on each game.
A few voice actors possibly, maybe the artist(s), musician(s), the programmer(s) or programming help, etc.  But not too much information.  Curious, what else did you have in mind that would differ from what IMDb has for movies, to keep the AGSDb interesting?

TerranRich

So far I have:

- User-submitted reviews for games, more in-depth than just two-word comments on the Games page
- Screenshots for the game, as many as the creator wants
- Downloads section for the game, whether they be tech demos, gameplay demos, full downloads, or even store links to purchase the game. I was even pondering the idea of having a store on the AGDB site for people to add their games if they want to sell them.

I plan on opening up a thread similar to this one asking for suggestions. I'll do that in the next few days.

Phemar

I think the IMDb format could work very well for an AGS database. You should definitely try and do it, Terran.

Abisso

Ok, now the problem is actually a real one. Unfortunately, my web-host is terrible, and sometimes it happens that the download stops at a certain point, before the entire file is downloaded. Obviously, the resulting file is corrupt.

I've never been able to understand when that happens, and if it also has to do with the browser used.

The only thing I can suggest is to try a lot of times, until the filesize matches the one reported on the site (or until the archive isn't corrupt).

And, if you want, I can send the game to you by email.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't know what I've drunk to do such a mistake, but I meant to post this answer in another thread, like someone cleverly noticed.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Peder 🚀

Leon

Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Peder 🚀

That explains it ^^

Dualnames

Quote from: TerranRich on Thu 12/11/2009 19:25:59
But we're not competing! ;)

He's already beating you anyways. (I'm retarted to post after that while, but I took some thought on that pun)

As for agsarchives, I'm wondering is it like better to have an ftp and create username for us so we can upload our games? Just a wonder. Or is it just better if you do it yourself?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Peder 🚀

There will be an upload script for you guys ;).
But since I recon not every game maker that has made a game with AGS will register himself on it, I will be adding alot of games manually. But I hope that most of the active game makers using AGS will register on the site when its ready.

Peder 🚀

To anyone who uses my server for any type of download link please PM me!
During february alot will happen around agsarchives.com and all current links will be changed!
So to avoid dead links I need to know who to contact about the new links :).

I am also gonna reveal that by using my server to host your games and by using my links on other pages, you will get statistics of how many times your games have been downloaded via other sites!

And I would like to ask for people that would like to help beta test the system before it goes online for developers!
The beta testing will hopefully start around the end of february!
(Just PM me to show your interest).

Best regards,
Peder Johnsen.

arj0n

Peder, any news on the AGS Archive beta status?

ThreeOhFour

I think all my games are now hosted under the new system thing.

Hooray :D

Dualnames

Definitely one of the best ideas ever, if no one's stated it yet. I'm confident a 70% or more of the AGS game developers have trouble with hosting, and AGS archives will not only just fix that, but actually maintain integrity! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Peder 🚀

@[ Arj0n ]: Its progressing slowly but steady!

@Ben304: So they are, but the links are gonna change again I am afraid! :P. (Old will still work, but I prefer you to change them when their working! I'll PM you the details.)

@Dualnames: Thanks for your nice words! :).

Danman

I agree with dual names. Most file host sites delete files after a few days. So this site is like a savior to most developers. ;D Including me ;)

also Not to mention it is also more professional  8)

Peder 🚀

@Danman: Thanks!

To those of you making commercial games using AGS, I am interested in banners for agsarchives.com.
If you want a banner linked to your site please make me one at 200 pixels wide and PM me your website link aswell as the banner!

I will offcourse not charge you anything for it ;).

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yes because charging for it would imply you had to do things with some kind of priority and actually follow through.  :-\

Peder 🚀

I've been thinking a bit about leaving some games out.
This is because it seems there are some games that are madly large and include little or no gameplay.
The idea will be to list the games that are left out and have people discuss if they should be included on the site or not.

Currently there aint many games at all that I am planning not to add, and I doubht there will be alot neither.
It is mostly LARGE games that is uninteresting for people to download then to only get dissapointed of what they get.

But to be fair with everyone as I said there will be possible for people to discuss if those games actually should be included.

I am also interested in getting some suggestions for "staff roles".
As in "Background artist" "Composer" etc.
As I plan to have a bunch of "ready" titles to "save" time when adding the people who worked on your game.

@ProgZ, I know what you are "hinting" towards here and you shall soon be contacted about it.

Peder 🚀

BUMP!

I could really need some help with the "staff roles" I mentioned in my previous post!

In other news, I have pre-launched the website and I hope to get the beta up and running very soon!
I also have a big job infront of me adding all the game files to the server then to start adding the "missing games".

Please give feedback of whats there, if you think something is missing or could be done different etc.

Dualnames

I'm supposing this is incomplete, therefore registration is like impossible.

I really like it!! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk