Old thread from Adventure Related Talk & Chat

Started by Peder 🚀, Fri 14/08/2009 21:15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

It is incomplete atm yes.
There are also still alot of functions not working etc.

Now you can actually register an account :) though, you wont be able to do anything user stuff yet :P.
Also seems the registration confirmation email doesn't get sent...

Peder 🚀

Moved to new server! Let me know if any of your download links have stopped working and Ill get right at fixing them!
Now with the server in place, I can start uploading all the games! :).

Ryan Timothy B

You've spelled 'already' incorrectly 3 times on the main page.  :=
You have 'allready'.

Peder 🚀

Lol, I not a great speller :). I shall fix that!

Peder 🚀

Hey all!

I could really need some help mapping all "broken games" in the AGS games database aswell as map all games NOT in the AGS games database as I know there are quite a bunch!

I also could need help mapping out all games unable to run on system with windows XP+ as I would like to try and "fix" these before they are hosted on agsarchives.com!

PM me if your interested!

Peder 🚀

I will be uploading alot of games now and are currently working on a managing system for the site.
So I will be needing a small group of people willing to spend some time on going through all the "ready" games to check if everything is ok (that the file works, there is a screenshot, that all info is correct etc.). I don't expect to have the system up and running tomorrow but hope to have it ready really soon!

Anyone interested to help just PM me :).

Peder 🚀

BUMP!

I need help making an upload script!
Since Nexus now will be using the AGSA interface I am back in work on the user system!

I basically need some help making the upload script for the game files, screenshots and avatars.

The one uploading pictures should convert all images to the same format (not IMPORTANT but I thought it would be best to use the same format over the whole site).

The uploader to upload the game files need to make sure the file is a zip file and that all the files are located in the root of it. It will also have to check for all .exe files and if more than 1 and neither of them are "winsetup" it will have to prompt the user of which one is the executable for the game. (This is for Nexus) If there is only 1 or 2 but the second one being "winsetup" it will not have to promt the user.

I could probably do most of this part, it is mostly making a "status" bar thing and making the uploader as effective as possible I need help with!

To moderators:
Is it possible to have this thread stickied untill everything is up and running 100%?

Peder 🚀

BUMP!

In need of a web designer/developer to help me out with a revisioned AGSArchives.com.
Not a paid position but a potential partnership is considered!

Check out the recruitment thread post for more info:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=36479.msg570430#msg570430

Peder 🚀

AGSA has really been unfinnished for way too long now and after trying to get some help with freshening the design up I ended up deciding to do it myself. (I had awesome help however I felt the contributor was way too busy for me wanting to bother him with this so I took it in my own hands).

You can see the current "build" by visiting the URL below:
http://beta.agsarchives.com/

This is more or less nearly done gamers wise.  The developers part is yet to be started.

Now I'd love to hear what you guys think of the new design/system so far and I would love to hear if anyone of you would be willing to help me spice up the archives screenshot/description wise. There are ALOT of games with horrible or just none screenshots. Screenshots need to be tailored the new design, descriptions needs to be cleaned up and get more detailed.

I will be creating a system to easier perform all this so you won't have to know anything about FTP and such, but have basic photoshop (photo editing) skills and prefferably better with english than me.

I will also need a handfull of developers willing to test the developers dashboard once it is done.

Best regards,
Peder Johnsen.

Ponch

Poking around now. I like the look of it. Of course, Barn Runner should be on every page, but that goes without saying, doesn't it? I would like to see an alphabetical index for the games, but other than that, it looks very nice. (Also, you're missing a few Barn Runner games  ;) ). Once this is finished, this will be an invaluable AGS resource. Nice job!

Peder 🚀

Thanks!

Lol we can fix that, just PM me a bribe ;).
Yeah others have also mentioned alphabetical index, and I will see what I do.
Yeah, loads of games missing and for every new game released there is another one missing o_O.
Though I hope to finish this before chrisitmas and launch it so developers can start adding all their games themselves!

I and specially Arj0n has done alot of work finding older games and I still have tons to add from those findings so I'd rather get the developers to add their recent games themselves :P.

Peder 🚀

BUMP! wish more people would read this as I really need help!

Also I could really need some feedback on wether I should have just normal comments on the game pages or more of a reviews type of comment. (Comment with rating system to rate the game).

http://beta.agsarchives.com/gamecard/286/a-friend-indeed-the-adventures-of-jp-cosmo.html

It would be really nice if anyone interested in helping out on the site, be it testing the system once it is done, helping out fixing content or just giving feedback on ideas etc, would PM me with their interest!

Best regards,
Peder Johnsen.

straydogstrut

Ooh purdy!

Geez I miss a lot. How you managed to sneak this little update under the radar I don't know.

I'm liking the redesign a lot, there's really not much I would ask you to change. It's a nice clean, fresh look and I like all the little touches: the spiky footer, the game developer bar at the top, meta information on the games, 6-12-24 games shown choice (less scrolling!), and that gorgeous AGS Archives icon. I'd maybe like to see more rounded corners, such as on the search box, but actually it's probably a good thing that you've used them sparingly. It all fits together really well as it is :)

Only UI element that seems a little strange is the plus sign when you hover over a game's picture. I like the rollover effect, but the plus sign means 'add' to me, like 'add to my shopping cart' or similar. Not sure what other icon to suggest though and I do see there's a plus sign in the top bar so I guess it means 'more information..'

I'll happily help out with screenshots - assuming I can take decent ones for you - and proof reading if you'll have me :)

EDIT: That's what you're missing - maybe it's not that important tho - the resolution blurb like we have in the games database :)

Rakuen

That is really nice!

So clean and easy.

I wish I could help with anything but alas the only internet access I have is my android  :-\

At least I could keep you posted on how mobile friendly it is.  ;D

Oh and I think a rating comment system, purely for the fact it will force people to rate therefore anyone wanting to randomly post a rude/troublesome comment may be more discouraged to do so.

Ryan Timothy B

Did you purposely make the no screenshot image with poor grammar?
"This game haven't got no screenshot!"

It looks a little unprofessional for such a serious website. Why not just "No Screenshot"?

Also there is a terrible compression on some of the screenshots.  example

Peder 🚀

Quote from: straydogstrut on Mon 24/10/2011 19:02:56
I'll happily help out with screenshots - assuming I can take decent ones for you - and proof reading if you'll have me :)

EDIT: That's what you're missing - maybe it's not that important tho - the resolution blurb like we have in the games database :)

Thanks, it is something I am really gonna need help with once the site is ready (and as soon as I've made some kind of a moderator dashboard.

About the resolution blurb, I felt it was not much of an important feature to include. However if enough people feel it is important and want to help add the info to every single game then I wont say no about adding it :P. But it is not something I will be adding by myself.

Quote from: Rakuen on Mon 24/10/2011 19:22:35
Oh and I think a rating comment system, purely for the fact it will force people to rate therefore anyone wanting to randomly post a rude/troublesome comment may be more discouraged to do so.

Thanks! I think comment system with rating is probably the best idea myself. As I'd like to have some kind of rating system at least. And that would be the easiest.

Ryan
I know... I am just useless when it comes to grammar, specially at night (which is when I usually get to work properly on AGSA).
Eitherway the idea is to not need those anyway. I want every game to have at least 1 screenshot. Hence why I am asking for help with just that :P.

The above kinda explains the next part of your post too ;).

Peder.

Jasmine

I've been playing some games and would be happy to take screenshots for the ones that don't have them yet, if that would be helpful.  I probably won't do a ton as I don't have a ton of spare time for playing, but I don't see why I can't help out with the ones I'm going to be playing anyway  :P

Peder 🚀

Peder 🚀

So, this month has been a bit tight and by the looks of it I will most probably not be able to pay the monthly bill for the server this month. So therefore I am asking anyone who appreciate my work so far or anyone using the AGSer.me service to please donate some money if you can!

Donate through paypal by clicking the image below!

Best regards,
Peder Johnsen.

Peder 🚀

Just wanted to say thanks to 3 very generous people (you know who you are! <3) I now already have enough money to pay the bill! You can still donate monies offcourse if you want but I have what I so urgently needed to pay the bill!

Thanks guys <3.

Peder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk