A Night in Reality

Started by Scruff, Mon 17/08/2009 19:34:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruff

For my first game I've decided to add another chapter to the RON universe

I've spent a week playing a good chunk of the games and think I've come up with an original idea

A Night in Reality follows a guy (name not decided yet) who gets stuck in Reality just as night falls and with no money and no where to stay tries everything to get back on the road, but he didn't count on how crazy this town can be!

I've tried to use the most updated sprites/backgrounds that I can to make it seem up to date and have only created one new character

Although I haven't decided on a name for the main character I was originally gonna call him Bob but as theres already a Bob in town I don't know if this is alright, can someone please clarify

Although I have just started learning how to use AGS I'm getting pretty far in it having scripted almost 10 mins of gameplay, but it'll be done when it done (as I'm a noob at this),but hopefully not to long

Just a couple of things

Does anyone have any animation frames for the updated George Watstatt Sprite, particulary speech animation - I tried animating it myself and it was pretty bad.

Also is it alright to use the map screen from Virtual Reality, I'd like to use it but not if I'm breaking any code of conduct by doing so

DeviantGent

Hiya Scruff, and welcome to your first foray into RotN! In the order your points were raised:

- Yes, there is indeed a Bob in the town, of the MI5 persuasion. I'd pick a different name to avoid possible confusion.

- An updated George talking cha file can be found here.

- It's actually encouraged to use resources from Virtual Reality, since it's intended as a developer's tool. To prove this, have the background:

EDIT - disregard that, I chuck socks. Use the one in the post below me.

Hope these are of some help. :D

The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Renegade Implementor

Since DC pointed out the George talking .cha file, it saves me from having to do an emergency sort & upload of graphics... although it is something that will need to be done at some point.

Secondly, ignore that map that DC has shown you for it is as old and useless as a gummy-bear stuck to the drop-ceiling of a high-school classroom.  You will find this background is more up-to-date:

Thirdly, I completely agree with DC.  It's very important to have characters with different names.  Just like Davy Jones, Dave Nihilist, Big Wave Dave.... ... er.... <cough> :).  If you want the character named Bob, why not use a different version of the name and call him Robert or something.

DeviantGent

We always used to throw those milennium baby things up onto the ceilings of our old secondary school classrooms. Seven years on, I think there's still a decapitated head or two that has been left for future students to ponder.

Also, we have a builder called Rob who might get confused, but I wouldn't worry too much, especially since both MI5 Bob and Rob the Builder are such minor characters anyway.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Scruff

Thanks guys,

Quick update main characters name is now Scott Douglas (Random name generator FTW lol)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I haven't done animations, but if Melt and Drake are just standing around in your game you are welcome to use these.  I could probably do some quick talk animations if needed.

Scruff

Oh cool thanks,

Yeah there just standing there talking so some talking animation would be much appreciated  :)

DeviantGent

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 19/08/2009 01:09:56
I haven't done animations, but if Melt and Drake are just standing around in your game you are welcome to use these.  I could probably do some quick talk animations if needed.

... Prog, why do you keep doing things you know will make me squeal like a gibbering fangirl?
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Glad you like them, DC.  I thought someone would surely complain that I didn't give Melt his dreadlocks, but hey, I figure he looks a bit scragglier this way.  And yeah, Drake has a nose...  Also, I have a feeling Davy will like these designs because I redrew the characters once before and he was quite happy :).

Here you go, Scruff.  A bit quick but they'll do the job.

DeviantGent

Also, if you want a script editor/proofreader to go over your dialogue Scruff, either me or Renegade Implementor would be happy to help. Give us a PM when you've finished coding it in.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Jared

Obviously they both look great, but I was just curious about why Prog's Drake is so short..

DeviantGent

Is it that he's short? I thought it was that Melt is lanky.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Renegade Implementor

With the original sprites Melt's shoulders are higher than Drake's, so I'd say Melt is slightly higher, although not by much.

I'd say ProgZmax's sprites either have a Jay & Silent Bob motif going on, or the sprites were captured while Melt & Drake were in a hall of mirrors.  ;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I had a talk with Davy about it and the goal here was to try and make every character I redesign unique rather than a cardboard cut-out with the same dimensions.  Melt's supposed to be a real tall, scrawny guy while Drake's somewhat short.  Compared to most of my re-designs, many of the RoN characters will be shorter than Melt.  It's just a method of creating added uniqueness by varying the sizes, really.  I've always felt that doped-out characters go well in the short and tall.  Think Cheech and Chong.  Yeah, you know I'm right!

Scruff

Heres pics from in game with new Melt and Drake

this is how I had them originally

but I noticed Drake was well short in comparison

so I messed about with the scaling (also to bring about Melt's lankiness as mentioned by ProgZmax)

Jared

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 20/08/2009 15:14:26
I had a talk with Davy about it and the goal here was to try and make every character I redesign unique rather than a cardboard cut-out with the same dimensions.  Melt's supposed to be a real tall, scrawny guy while Drake's somewhat short.  Compared to most of my re-designs, many of the RoN characters will be shorter than Melt.  It's just a method of creating added uniqueness by varying the sizes, really.  I've always felt that doped-out characters go well in the short and tall.  Think Cheech and Chong.  Yeah, you know I'm right!

Cool. I can only agree with this. My only criticism with the Krysis-style sprites is a minor one about a level of uniformity that creeps into the supporting cast when you look at them so I guess that's a good solution. I certainly liked the very unique look of your... Guido sprite.. (Guido's the nudist, right? Memory failing me completely here..)

Dualnames

Quote from: DC on Wed 19/08/2009 19:26:26
Also, if you want a script editor/proofreader to go over your dialogue Scruff, either me or Renegade Implementor would be happy to help. Give us a PM when you've finished coding it in.

You guys are busy! You're supposed to be voice-acting!! Damn you people!!!  :D

This is a joke message
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DeviantGent

ARTHUR DENT CAN BE A GRAMMAR NAZI TOO.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Renegade Implementor

In my own defense, I am almost done.  I just need to re-record some lines as I wasn't happy with the audio quality.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Scruff

Gah!! Im suffering with severe writers block can anyone help?

Spoiler
Basically I wanted the main character to interupt an argument between the Mayor and Doc in the Mayors office, but for the life of me cannot think of any arguement funny or ridiculous enough, it wouldn't have anything to do with the main story just be one of those quirky little thing's that happen in this town
[close]

suggestions please?  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk