A Night in Reality

Started by Scruff, Mon 17/08/2009 19:34:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Brentimous

I noticed in the screens that you're using an old version of the town square. I created a newly updated nighttime version a while ago, but I think it got lost when the site changed domains. Here it is in case you're interested and to future RONers out there.

I can't help you with your writer's block...
...I was going to put something witty here to end this, but yeah, damn writer's block.

Scruff

Ahh, thanks for that but unfortunatly I've based the shading of other backgrounds from the main street so it would look odd now, but thanks anyway I'll definatly use it in future projects  :)

And now for a quick update

I believe the game now can be played from the start to the finish with no stops, so now i just need to give it a bit of spit and polish (read: filling in a number of property windows) coding that one scene I'm stuck on, an Intro and Outro to code and a decent title screen
Then it should be ready for beta testing and script approval

DeviantGent

Awesome news, Scruff. Standing by for orders.

Also... HOLY COCKS ON TOAST IT'S BRENT I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD OR STOLEN OR SOMETHING SQUEEEEEEE

Quote from: Scruff on Sat 22/08/2009 22:09:06
Gah!! Im suffering with severe writers block can anyone help?

Spoiler
Basically I wanted the main character to interupt an argument between the Mayor and Doc in the Mayors office, but for the life of me cannot think of any arguement funny or ridiculous enough, it wouldn't have anything to do with the main story just be one of those quirky little thing's that happen in this town
[close]

suggestions please?  :)

Also, here's my thoughts on the character of Doc:

Spoiler
One of the plot points in my Frank Malone game is that Doc applies for the role of Sheriff, but thanks to Frank becomes an actual member of Gower's cabinet. Since this somewhat mirror's the real life Hunter S Thompson's political bid on the 'freak power' ticket back in the sixties, it would make sense for the character of Doc to try to push forward with similar policies - legalisation of mind altering drugs, mandatory castration for dishonest dealers, tearing up the pavements with jackhammers and resodding the streets, renaming the town to 'Fat City', etc. You get the idea.

That's if you want him to be a member of his cabinet in your game, though. Since your game is coming out before mine, it might work to have him protest against some decision of Gower's as a reporter for the Realiser, resulting in Gower suggesting that if he wants so much done he should apply to City Hall himself, possibly in the capacity as Sheriff. This would set the stage for his standing in my project, and gives things a nice sense of progression.
[close]
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Scruff

Ah thanks for that DC it's perfect I've got idea's running through my head already

However I just need some continuity points clearing up now
Spoiler
Having only just played through Rend (I know left it a bit late lol) I found out that Elandra's parents died, is this point considered canon? it's just I made a throwaway comment about them and this game fits better after that point in the timeline.

Also DC, you made a mention of Davy and Elandra being in uni in your game, will this have happened before your game or during? Cause if it's before I can set some ground work with some additional dialogue in mine
[close]

Renegade Implementor

Spoiler
Having only just played through Rend (I know left it a bit late lol) I found out that Elandra's parents died, is this point considered canon? it's just I made a throwaway comment about them and this game fits better after that point in the timeline.
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, it's a canonical event, not a happy one to be sure, but an event none the less.  It's explored in more detail in the final game of the Tapestry series (which should be out before the end of the epoch), and I've a few ideas that explore the changes in Elandra's new status in life in a future game or so.
[close]

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Jared:  Yeah, Guido's the nudist with a spinach leaf over his privates.  Grundislav actually suggested I draw him with a schlong but I figure if kids go within 100 feet of this game they shouldn't be staring at sprite penises.

DeviantGent

Scruff -

Spoiler
By the timeframe of my game, they will be in their first year of university. I'm thinking that they would have been in for a few months, so I'm certainly not doing a 'this is the game where they finally go to university' thing. So if you want to feature them preparing to go/going for the first time/having just arrived, then go for it, that poses no problems at all.
[close]
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Scruff

Right I think I'm done now finally, phew

It's ready for Beta testing and dialogue/story checks

Unfortunatly being a noob not sure how to go about it, do people send me their email add. or do I need to upload it somewhere?

Renegade Implementor

The first step is to announce you need beta-testers (which you've done).  People will express their interest in helping out.  I, for example, am more than happy to lend a hand.

If you have a site that your testers can go to download, that's probably the easiest solution.  Depending on the size of the test-build it might not fit in some people's mail boxes (dependent on how full a person's mailbox is).

Speaking personally, if the file size is under 5 megs, I'll pm you my email addy so you can send it, otherwise the download option discussed above is fine.

Scruff

Ok I've pm'd both RI and DC with links anyone else feel like testing?  :)

Leon

Sure. Just send me the link and I'll dig for errors...  ;)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Scruff

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's been very helpful  :)

However I'm going back to the drawing board to try and tweek the story, so it'll be a bit longer than anticipated

DeviantGent

No worries Scruff, looking forward to the finished game.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk